electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Any way to make a trigger that occurs on patch load??
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TheRain

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Any way to make a trigger that occurs on patch load?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I've been trying to think of a way to trigger something just once at the load time of a patch. I thought perhaps the one shot mode would do this on the sequencers if I put a pulse through the clock... maybe it would play once through when I loaded the patch... but unfortunately this did not happen. Any ideas???
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It should be possible to use the status module for it, this is what the online help has to say about its patch active output :

Quote:
Patch Active

Provides you with a logic high signal (+64 units) as soon as a Patch is loaded into a Slot or activated. This signal can be used to reset or sync events in the Patch that you want to reset automatically after Patch load. Signal: Logic.

I usually simply use a constant module though that is set to any value above zero, this is the old NM Classic trick which still works.

Last edited by blue hell on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, nevermind... I figured a way. If you send a constant value through a short delay, it will go from low to high as soon as the patch loads. Here's an attachment that triggers an envelop and allows sound from an osc for just a few seconds when the patch loads... indicating that you can use such an envelope and adjust the hold time on it to how long you want the load trigger to last.

If you've seen the real time-sampling trick that allows you to sample something into a delay module and play it back with complete control over things like playback speed, forward/reverse control and sample playback start postion... you might understand the use for this load trigger.

Essentially what you could do is, for instance, set up some drum oscs and upon load of the patch you could set up the patch to automatically sample the drum sounds into the delay, then you can control the playback speed and reversing and such.

Load Trigger.pch2
 Description:
Trigger anything upon loading of a patch

Download
 Filename:  Load Trigger.pch2
 Filesize:  1014 Bytes
 Downloaded:  976 Time(s)

TheRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
It should be possible to use the status module for it, this is what the online help has to say about its patch active output :

Quote:
Patch Active

Provides you with a logic high signal (+64 units) as soon as a Patch is loaded into a Slot or activated. This signal can be used to reset or sync events in the Patch that you want to reset automatically after Patch load. Signal: Logic.

I usually simply use a constant module though that is set to any value above zero, this is the old NM Classic trick which still works.

Whoah! cool... I had figured this would not be so easy to do... thanks a lot man..
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well you did the same in your patch, you can leave out the delay though.
TheRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it wouldn't work without the delay... or even with a shorter delay than what's there.

Say, do you know if anyone's posted a variation of the delay sampling technique with sample reversing and things?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, I tried it and it works here without the delay, and it should, it always did ... are you using the demo ?

I wouldn't know about sample reversing, you don't mean frequency shifting I guess.

TheRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I'm using the G2 Keyboard. I'm gonna search around the forum and see if anyone else has posted a patch like this and I'll post it in the experimental section if I can't find it. Basically what I have is the patch has a simple drum sequence in the synth section and then a delay sampler in the fx section... when the patch loads it triggers the delay sampler to sample the drum sequence... then when you hit a key the sequence plays back from the sampler and I have knobs set up to switch to reverse play in the middle of playing and to adjust the speed of playback.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes please post it, we seem to be talking about different things :-)
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reversing is a little tricky with the current group of delay modules.

Edit: Ha Ha, the patch you posted does reverse playback very well. How did I miss that? Embarassed

I posted this http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6072.html which seriously messes up loops. Sometimes short sections seem to be reversed, but it is a little unpredictable. Rolling Eyes

It is a 4 phase version of the classic pitch shifter with bigger than required delay times.

Last edited by ian-s on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TheRain wrote:
Actually, nevermind... I figured a way. If you send a constant value through a short delay, it will go from low to high as soon as the patch loads. Here's an attachment that triggers an envelop and allows sound from an osc for just a few seconds when the patch loads... indicating that you can use such an envelope and adjust the hold time on it to how long you want the load trigger to last.

I

This can be usefull, but a the moment it has some side-effects, like re-triggering the patch when you add or delete modules. This I suspect is just an actual side-effect from the editor itself.
TheRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys. So I posted the reversing patch to Experimental patches if you want to take a look. Where I really want to head with this is some more flexible wavetable sequencing type stuff where the waves are "sampled" on patch startup into separate very short delay modules and then triggered as oscillators. But I like this patch as well, it is like the Machinedrum UW's RAM machine, which I am also a Machinedrum user, but am in the process of selling it so it's cool to be able to replicate some of it's functionality.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: