electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
LoopHead-Changing Sequencer loop length bug[and soln v2]
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: LoopHead-Changing Sequencer loop length bug[and soln v2]
Subject description: Don't you hate it when you change the loop length and the seqeunce IMMEDIATELY jumps to step 1?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, a topic more akin to my focus... Wink

Don't you hate it when you change the loop length and the seqeunce IMMEDIATELY jumps to step 1?

The NM1 sequencers worked correctly and change the loop at the next time the sequencer reset (on the downbeat).

I am hopeful Clavia is going to fix this, but in the interm, a cheap solution. It's cool too, cuz you can set more than one loop point and then turn the shortest one off and it will jump to the next shortest one. Neat for live situations.

This is a simple little trick for the beginners and anyone else. Let me know if you have any comments or questions.
/Dasz

TweakingDoepfer2.jpg
 Description:
All those blinky lights
[x][o][_][x][x][_][x][x][_][_][_][_][x][_][x][_]
 Filesize:  52.87 KB
 Viewed:  13133 Time(s)

TweakingDoepfer2.jpg

LoopHead_DZ.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LoopHead_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  2.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1494 Time(s)

Last edited by dasz on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose "worked correctly" is/was subjective, but I fully agree with you on this. It is difficult for live improvisation when the beat gets unsyncronized, unintentionally, undoubtedly!!!
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Subjective? I would say not. It's common practise for any groove box I have worked with. And consistent with NM1.

Quote:
It is difficult for live improvisation when the beat gets unsyncronized, unintentionally, undoubtedly!!!

Totally, the G2 is supposed to be more Live oriented than Papa Nord (NM1). Especially after you read the marketing line which tells us why it is so much better than NM1

http://clavia.com/products/nordmodular/index.htm

These little glitches get in the way (esp since one cannot group the quick solution into a subpatch) Sad
/Dasz

ps.: I have a sentimental attachment to the Colorado Avalanche hockey team-- esp "Burnaby" Joe Sakic (http://www.coloradoavalanche.com, and Mr. Steve Moore for suffering such an underhanded blow thanks to Todd PooToosey (Bertuzzi) http://canucks.com/theteam/roster.asp?sectionID=23&id=20#career )
selvmarcus

G2 patch files: 39

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It´s strange these things didn´t get fixed during so many years.
Is it really the missing menpower at clavia?

Another example: Why is it I cannot define or use some
keyboard shortcuts for module type insertion?

Would be so much faster than to go through the menus all the time.

Why no multiples module or any place to put one of my patchcords somewhere while exchanging two of them? Always have to go again... Sad

Sorry, OT here.

Still a great product and I am allover very happy with it.
Fun and research for years to come. Good buy.

----
Marcus
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Still a great product and I am allover very happy with it.
Fun and research for years to come. Good buy.

Isn't that enough for now? Remeber Clavia is a Small Company! Not many people doing s/w or h/w stuff (they are not Roland!!!)
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I learned a lot during NAMM '06 about really small companies -- they seem to be doing all the cool stuff, funny isn't it? The big guys just copy the small guys.
/Dasz
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for coming up with this, Dasz! i loved the fact that you could change the number of steps on the fly, but was quickly disappointed to find that it didn't work quite right. thus, wasn't able to make use of it really at all. this should be a great help.

dasz wrote:

These little glitches get in the way (esp since one cannot group the quick solution into a subpatch) Sad

could you explain why this is? (maybe it'll make sense to me when i actually play around with it...)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I suppose "worked correctly" is/was subjective, but I fully agree with you on this. It is difficult for live improvisation when the beat gets unsyncronized, unintentionally, undoubtedly!!!

I don't think it's that subjective. The sequencers come with a reset input so it's much easier to have a extra reset patched in manually then it is to prevent it from resetting.

That being said; the G2 has the lookup table sequencers and those enable you to define your own "correct behaviour". With those you can for example have the "last step" parameter outside of the sequencer module and only update that parameter once in -say- every 8 bars together with a global reset of all sequencers, that would make it all ableton style. In the NM you can do the same if you'd like to but it'd work differently.

To me the bigest thing is defining for yourself what "correct" is for any given situation, once you have that you can probably build it regardless of what the modules do per default.

dasz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good point about the ctrl sequencer, Kassen.

I used a solution like it as well, but the circut was bulkier than the little reset step in the event sequencer.

Quote:

Quote:

could you explain why this is? (maybe it'll make sense to me when i actually play around with it...)

unfed, I was stating that it is too bad we cannot create subpatches (like in reaktor). This way, this little circuit could have been turned into a "module".

/Dasz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With this little modification the patch will work for a sequencer length of one as well, it costs about .3% extra in cycles.

dz_mod.jpg
 Description:
a patch example, see it's thread
 Filesize:  37.03 KB
 Viewed:  13015 Time(s)

dz_mod.jpg

dasz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan,

In my patch solution, of course you realize that if the current step is above the loop length step you just changed to, your sequence will play until step 16. One can think of this as a bug / feature. Rolling Eyes

I like the x0x school of thinking -- bug or feature?
/Dasz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
of course you realize

Guess not actually .. I've no clue as to what you are talking about ... did I overlook something, if so please be more specific ?

dasz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if the current step was 5 and the loop reset was at step 12. then changing the loop length to 4, would not reset the sequence, since we were on step 5 and this is past the loop reset step. You'd expect the sequencer to check for loop point when it jumps to new step.

This is why the voltage/ctrl sequencer is better for the task. But for quick fix, this solution is good.

My posted ideas may not be perfect, nor are they indended to be. They are a start for others, which why I am happy Jan modded this patch!

/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a different approach using a ctrl seq.
/Dasz

LoopHead2_DZ.pch2
 Description:
updated. THis version uses a ctrl sequencer. and a loop point knob.

Download
 Filename:  LoopHead2_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  1.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1314 Time(s)

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are probably aware of that..but actually its the best to dont use the loop mode at all...than you cheaply enjoy the luxery of any looplength up to 128 steps...

I rarely use one bar loops..as soon you start doing your own loop circuit ist not a problem anymore

loophead_3p_134-.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  loophead_3p_134-.pch2
 Filesize:  2.64 KB
 Downloaded:  1297 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, use the clock div is a great solution.

It's cool I tried some patches here, cuz they solved a problem I had in a different type of patch.

/Dasz
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: