electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How was this sound made?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: How was this sound made? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone have any idea how this sound was made and/or how to recreate it with the G2? It's the showmff sound halfway through beat 2 of the bar.

It is one of the few sounds that I really like, that I have no idea how to make Evil or Very Mad

showmff.mp3
 Description:
Showmff sound

Download
 Filename:  showmff.mp3
 Filesize:  57.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1216 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds sampling-based to my ears. Like a downpitched snippet of something.

I guess you could synthesize it somehow -I hear a "noise" component and a tonal component. Perhaps trying to get the formants of those two components right by means of static phasing or comb filters, EQs etc. and then shape the transients might be a good start. That's the route I would try.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It took a while for the sound to come in to focus for some reason. What I hear sounds like a sample of someone going "showmff" into a vocoder (one with a working unvoiced detector).
Afro88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps a downpitched sample of a vocoder perhaps? I'll try some stuff out...

Thanks for the ideas guys Very Happy
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah sounds like someone's mouth to me, too.
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seems a filtered drumloop to me... anyways, you can get a similar sound with a noise through a lowpass with sequenced cutoff.

Cheers,
Luca

suthnear

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fwiw, it sounds like two sounds to me: a fairly standard multi-osc lead sound doing the (minor) chord and a filtered noise bit over the top. The key to the chord sound is an element of detune: so it's either multi-oscillators slightly detuned, a chorus unit or unison. Or, as others have suggested, a vocoder. Just use noise as the source. It's difficult to say exactly which because the second sound is masking the first a bit. The sound is also filtered through a fairly closed LPF and there's definitely some envelope on it - a fairly slow attack, gentle release. It's the chord that provides the 'show' component.

The second sound is noise through a resonant LPF (or fairly wide band pass - I'm not sure if it's the noise colour or the filter that is removing the lower frequencies) and it's the filter movement on this that's providing the shape, the 'mff'. Particularly, the sound is played with the filter closed, slightly before the chord and the filter is opened into that sound (if you know what I mean). There's delay on it, too.

I am sure I could do this on the g2, but all my gear is packed up at the moment because the floor is being repaired. If I have some time tonight I'll install the editor on my work laptop and see if I can match it for you and provide a patch.
suthnear

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here's a rather quick go at it. I used the arp bass preset plus I added a filtered noise source: ideally they should be two separate patches (I inserted a delay module to give an idea of the effect) - so the noise is only doing the "sh" and not the "ff" as well.

Unfortunately I couldn't listen at the same time as build (I only have one pair of headphones here) but playing an Abm triad it sounded fairly close. It's a very similar sound to the one vibrasphere use in their track 'landmark' so I may have been influenced a little in that direction rather than the one in the clip Smile

somewhatshowmff.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  somewhatshowmff.pch2
 Filesize:  4.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1218 Time(s)

sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally, I don't think vocals were used although there could possibly be a vocoder used on the noise element of the sound. I think Suthnear is on the right track.

It sounds to me that the lower, bassier part of the sound is not 'in tune', ie. maybe it uses low amounts of FM or large amounts of detune (5 or 7 semitones?) to get the fullness that it exhibits. As for the noise element, is the 'mffff' even part of the sound, or is it separate, but similar sounding - it is panned to a different place and not panned across from the place the 'shhhh' comes from either?

It could just be a sampled waveform though... didn't Orbital love using their Korg M1 (or was it Z1) back in those days?

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Afro88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

suthnear - Thanks for that patch. It's definitely a noise source and a synth of some kind. I haven't had a chance to play around with a vocoder with a proper unvoiced detector like g2ian said, but I think if I feed a sound similar to your patch (minus noise) into it and go "showww" into the mic it may sound similar.

Sheridan - You're right, the ff part isn't actually part of the showmff sound. The showm is spread across the speakers, but the ff is centered.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: