electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Chuckin' along -- a new song Windsounds
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:  Chuckin' along -- a new song Windsounds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's is a ChucK song I wrote. It's the first time I've written something out completely. Quite fun!

If you don't have Chuck or just want to hear the file, download the mp3.

If you want to check out the ChucK file, samples and machines, or just want to play the song on your own chuck, download the zip file. I had to zip up the samples and some machine files into one zip file. Download the zip file. Unzip it where you like. In your terminal, go into the folder "windsounds". Then chuck the file "windsounds.ck", Chuck will handle the rest. Smile I hope you like it.

Feel free to use it anyway you like, just give me credit. And if it is useful to you, let me know how.

I look forward to seeing a lot of posted chuck tunes. I hope to learn from others code and give a little in return. Working together we may do some interesting things! Very Happy

Majutsu-Windsounds.mp3
 Description:
Mp3 file of the song

Download
 Filename:  Majutsu-Windsounds.mp3
 Filesize:  2.45 MB
 Downloaded:  1177 Time(s)

windsounds.zip
 Description:
This is a zip file with the ck, sample and machine files. In the extracted folder, Chuck "windsounds.ck" to play the song.

Download
 Filename:  windsounds.zip
 Filesize:  71.73 KB
 Downloaded:  762 Time(s)

djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! nice work!

however,
is it normal that each time the line changes, there's a little clipping sound or tiny blank?

or my ibook is not powerful enough to run the file correctly?

sorry, i've just started with chuck today, i just wonder...

anyway, thank you for the nice track, and hope to hear more from you!!
majutsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djeho wrote:
wow! nice work!

however,
is it normal that each time the line changes, there's a little clipping sound or tiny blank?

or my ibook is not powerful enough to run the file correctly?

I'm glad you enjoyed the tune.

As to your question, I run a really huge self-built PC running a really sleek audio optimized Ubuntu (Debian), and I'm using the latest kernels in edgy eft with millisecond latencies. I'm afraid I might outpace a lot of off-the-shelf systems without realizing it. They are like 30 function calls to FM synthesis and ring mods and STKs in the course of 2min 30 sec. I'm glad you pointed this out to me. I had forgotten. The mp3 is how it sounds on my system. Even if the code doesn't run smoothly, you can listen to the mp3 and look at the code. And also, I'm a musician, not a programmer, so my code is hardly efficient. I just lay it out the way musicians think, not in terms of machine efficiency like most programmers consider. I am going to work on this deficiency of mine, as efficient and beautiful coding is part of the delicate art of computer music.

djeho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
efficient and beautiful coding is part of the delicate art of computer music

True...i'll keep this on mind as i work on Chuck.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this one - the mp3 - but I can't listen to the Chuck directly - in miniAudicle.

I extracted all of the files in a directory. mini-Audicle started - started the Virtual Machine - opened windsounds.ck in the File menu - then hit Add Schred. It can't find the other files in the directory.

Is there a config option to tell mini-audicle to use the current directory as its path?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spencer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep-- If you are using miniAudicle on OS X, head over to the Preferences window (miniAudicle menu->Preferences), and click on the Miscellaneous tab. There you should be able to change the current directory by hitting the "Select..." button. It picks ~/ by default regardless of how/where you started the app, but it will remember if you change it in Preferences.

On Linux/Windows... this functionality is still on its way... for the present I think there is a CurrentDirectory option somewhere in .miniAudicle or miniAudicle's win32 registry entry that can be changed. miniAudicle will cd to this directory on startup.

spencer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Spencer. I'm running XP.

Suggest that there be an option that mini-a automatically cd to that of the last file opened.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spencer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats a pretty good idea. there was a request for something similar to that (i think (big)Audicle cds to the enclosing directory of the active document). there are a few catches, for example running this program:
Code:
10::second => now; Machine.add( "file.ck" );

and then opening another file in a different directory before 10 seconds has elapsed will cause the first program to fail. This is a trivial example, but I can imagine some more complicated ones that could burn someone if they're not careful or don't know about this feature. But if this caveat is explicitly documented, this could definitely go in as an optional user-enabled feature.

Something that I think would also be a good solution to this are Std.chdir() and Std.pwd() functions in ChucK itself...

spencer
majutsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad you liked it
i'm just getting my feet wet in chuck but it's coming along.
i'm also glad it could work out in audicle eventually. i don't use audicle, but command line, since i kept crashing audicle in composition. also i use linux, so don't always know osx or windows concerns, especially 1.2.6 on.

tony

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: nice work
Subject description: tell Me more about process
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for Me more interest if you want give me some basic idea and proces before you start make pieces, I think we are imitate a universal and their work
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: