electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Do you have a favourite key while composing? Major or minor?
Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
jkn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I'm just noodling at the piano I tend to fall into D maj or Eb maj (although I'm a 7th and 9th sort of person - whatever that means) - wandering through the minor keys that mesh well with those. I also tend to like g min.

I'm more of an improv guy though, I haven't really studied music theory or anything in 15 years.

I like very open voicings - a few 4ths tossed in.

Yes - love whole tone as well as many other people listed.

On bass... for some reason I've jammed with a lot of people who liked to write in Ab or Eb... which is always fun on bass... Smile
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've nearly finished working through a batch of 3 new compositions where i've given myself a little treat to try a tuning experiment and really push tuning to it's limits within the realms of conventional harmony.

all the tuning was done by ear and nothing more adventurous than, say dorian mode was used, but pushing several polyphonic instruments up to a quarter tone apart by taste. the idea is to mix via tuning as opposed to by level, so i'm squashed the compression quite tight on the levels and brightened or darkened according to the tuning of the instrument. the instruments end up by characterised by the tuning as opposed to individual pitches/tones being defined by how sharp or flat they are within the context of the scale.

1 out of 3 compositions kind of worked, the 2nd and 3rd ones are being completely re-recorded after spending a day realising you couldn't polish a turd...

XpanderXT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do things with diminished whole tone scales, dorian and mixolydian scales.
I'd like to play with alternate tunings but it's a bit of a pain technologically.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XpanderXT wrote:

I'd like to play with alternate tunings but it's a bit of a pain technologically.

a few links to help you reconsidering the "technological pain"
arrow http://electro-music.com/forum/links.php?id=31
arrow http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-147.html
arrow http://www.seraph.it/Detwelvulation.html

btw, the initial question about major/minor preferences takes into account only the 12 tone equal division of the octave but there are literally millions of different tunings where that question would sound inappropriate.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
XpanderXT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
XpanderXT wrote:

a few links to help you reconsidering the "technological pain"

Thanks, I'll check them out. I play a lot of samples of wind instruments witha wind controller and it would be nice to match their tunings with some of my other instruments.
It's very easy within the computer to do this but it requires programming on my exteranl gear to get them to match up. If I had more time to make music, I'd do more of this. A good friend of mine was a sax/EWI player named Michael Brecker. He was doing a lot within Kontakt and scripting to make alternate tunings that made the simulation of alternate fingerings and playing in the same scales as some Bulgarian instruments. He passed away before he ever got to record the album he had in his head that was jazz influenced by Bulgarian music.

BTW I checked out your myspace page. I really like GamelanX and Dorian Schlesinger. What tunings are you using?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XpanderXT wrote:
A good friend of mine was a sax/EWI player named Michael Brecker.

I have always been a fan of Michael Brecker, from Steps Ahead to his solo albums. One of the greatest Exclamation
arrow http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7409.html
arrow http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15551.html
XpanderXT wrote:
BTW I checked out your myspace page. I really like GamelanX and Dorian Schlesinger. What tunings are you using?

arrow Dorian Schlesinger
arrow gamelanX

thanks

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
XpanderXT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
XpanderXT wrote:
A good friend of mine was a sax/EWI player named Michael Brecker.

I have always been a fan of Michael Brecker, from Steps Ahead to his solo albums. One of the greatest Exclamation

He is greatly missed.
Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: