electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
a great page on making music with chucK
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: a great page on making music with chucK Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if anyone's interested computer music, as while on leave there hasn't been a single post about sc3 or chucK, but here is a great little page getting down to the bassline level. I found it enjoyable from a tutorial/get started fast point of view. I would like to put together a few more of these kind of tutorials on making tunes with chucK, particularly from an edm perspective. I'm going to working on this. I hope it's of value to at least one other mind looking for new horizons.

Very Happy

http://ravelite.org/chuck-notes/tutorial.html

ge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Brian!

majutsu wrote:
http://ravelite.org/chuck-notes/tutorial.html

This is an wonderful tutorial, by Graham Coleman. I think he gave a dorkbot-atlanta as well on similar topics.

majutsu wrote:
I would like to put together a few more of these kind of tutorials on making tunes with chucK, particularly from an edm perspective. I'm going to working on this. I hope it's of value to at least one other mind looking for new horizons.

Hooray!! That would be truly excellent. If you want, you can either link to it from the ChucK wiki or post it on there directly, or something else. Rock on!
majutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i missed ChucKing it! last night i finally understood shreds. i added drums, bass, etc in real time coding, taking them in and out. For those who aren't deep into chuck, but have a lot of experience with electronic music / apps, chuck is a lot like a text version of ableton live's live window. it's very, very cool. you just start you recording before the live coding and voila! that's a very simple simile, but very accurate. ChucK does a lot more and so does ableton, but that's very appealing to any edm-er.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:
i missed ChucKing it! last night i finally understood shreds. i added drums, bass, etc in real time coding, taking them in and out. For those who aren't deep into chuck, but have a lot of experience with electronic music / apps, chuck is a lot like a text version of ableton live's live window. it's very, very cool. you just start you recording before the live coding and voila! that's a very simple simile, but very accurate. ChucK does a lot more and so does ableton, but that's very appealing to any edm-er.

That's true but it gets better. One thing that's tricky about Live, no matter how many effects you are still dealing with a wave loop that's static.

I think it makes a lot of sense to define a loop as a certain sound as well as a certain behaviour instead of as a exact recording. I mean; for me it's quite often that I want a loop "like that except that every once in a while this will happen". Wave files don't like "every once in a while" while it's trivial to express in code. What I also like is that you can make little variations in effects depending on the situation. For example Live's "auto filter" is great but it's nicer to define your own and change it's behaviour depending on the context. Why not have it ramp faster on odd counts and sllower on even ones?

It also starts getting lots of fun once you add realtime controll. Solid joypads are way cheaper then budget MIDI controlers...

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great! thanks for this... i have been ChucKing but not posting, lately Smile
majutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

totally true kassen
and great stuff btw
i'm just trying to lure all the ableton heads with a glimpse of the familiar and a peek at the greatness beyond Wink
you said it very well. it just kind of hit me while shredding "this is like mega ableton"

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, great fun; at the moment I like it way better then Live.

However; Live does havesomestuffgoingfor it like ease of use in some departments.

For ChucK to be a serious contender it' s going to need some more stuff. I still think that not havingamore or less straight forward LP filter is hard to explain to new users.

More generally; you *can* implement your own sample-rate audio tools for stuff that's still not there (like a overdrive or a compressor or...) but sample rate code eats your cpu alive and I'm not so sure how I feel about having either one ready made compressor that might not have the right character for every alpication or a set of a dozen of them each with their own parameters that would need to be memorised.

What would be good might be a set of ugens like "step" and "gain" (which can multiply as well as sum; it's worthwhile to look it up) that could be combined to make higer level custom audio things. A sample rate linear X-fade might be a good canidate for a set like that.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: