electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
hard to begin...
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: hard to begin... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm new in this forum as well as i'm totally new in programming.
I've tried to start with Chuck with a good motivation but there's some problems...

first, i can't install chuck! the problem is following;

in the instruction, it says;
On MacOS X (using Terminal): go to the bin/ directory and type

i do not understand. how can i "go" to the bin/ directory? what does it mean "go"?

anyway i type in terminal "sudo cp chuck /usr/bin/"

and it says,

cp: chuck: No such file or directory
Ordinateur-de-jaeho-YOUN:~ jaehoyoun$

sometimes it ask me password, so i type in my system password,

and again

cp: chuck: No such file or directory

second, i'd like to know the difference between using chuck commande line version and chuck miniaudicle version. miniaudicle works for me, but it seems that automatic sync function between patchs doesn't work on miniaudicle as described on tutorial (ChucK supports sample-synchronous concurrency, via the ChucK timing mechanism. Given any number of source files that uses the timing mechanism above, the ChucK VM can use the timing information to automatically synchronize all of them.) becuase i can't excute the following...

%> chuck moe.ck larry.ck curly.ck

in miniaudicle, i have to open each patch and i have to run manually each ones..in that way, the perfect sync isn't possible....

what's the advantage and disadvantage to run chuck commande line version and audicle version? if i know that, i may just use audicle version...

i hope that those questions are clear...(i've tried my best with my baaaad english!!) thanks a lot guys, and nice to meet everyone!!
djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, after 2 hours of battle, i've installed (?) chuck...

well, the thing is, i went to the folder usr/bin, and change the folder's authorization to drag&drop chuck file, and all of those exemple files, then it works...is it ok to do this? i definitely didn't do as written in the manual...i'm a bit worry about it...(because i think normally, we shouldn't touch this usr/bin directory..)

and also, that means each time i have to copy&paste chuck files to this directory...is it ok to do this???
djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually, it doesn't work...i've tried the very first thing, and..

Ordinateur-de-jaeho-YOUN:/usr/bin jaehoyoun$ SinOsc s => dac;
-bash: SinOsc: command not found

please help me!!!!!!
jbum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you will find ChucK much easier to use if you start by using the MiniAudicle:

http://audicle.cs.princeton.edu/mini/mac/

This provides a development environment in which you can type chuck commands in an editing window.

To use it, first press the button (or execute the menu command) that says "Start Virtual Machine". Paste your ChucK examples into the editing window, and then press the "Add Shred" button.

spencer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djeho wrote:
well, the thing is, i went to the folder usr/bin, and change the folder's authorization to drag&drop chuck file, and all of those exemple files, then it works...is it ok to do this? i definitely didn't do as written in the manual...i'm a bit worry about it...(because i think normally, we shouldn't touch this usr/bin directory..)

Thats probably okay. However, its not necessary to copy all of the examples to /usr/bin also--you should only move the single 'chuck' program to that directory. Once it is there, open up a new Terminal window, type 'chuck' at the prompt and then hit enter. You should see this:
Code:
[chuck]: no input files... (try --help)

This means that you have successfully installed chuck.

To use chuck from the command line, its generally necessary to know a little bit about command line interfaces and the Bash command line shell. Here is one random tutorial I find by way of google...
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~marcosh/iraf/unix.html
After learning a little bit of Terminal, it should be easier to understand the ChucK tutorial.

For now though, I would recommend using miniAudicle, as it is much easier for new ChucKers.

djeho wrote:

in miniaudicle, i have to open each patch and i have to run manually each ones..in that way, the perfect sync isn't possible....

Yes! We are working on a good way to run multiple ChucK programs at once within miniAudicle.

It is in fact possible to run programs with perfect sync in miniAudicle, but it sometimes takes a bit more work than with command line chuck. This extra work can often be an acceptable tradeoff for the advantages miniAudicle offers, though.

spencer
djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, it seems that i've finally made it...

i didn't know that i have to write code in TextEdit...i've tried to write code directly in Terminal.
so, Terminal is only an excution tool...right?

and i know about miniAudicle...but the only thing that i wonder is the possibility to syncronizing. in Terminal,

chuck xxx_1.ck xxx_2.ck

make these two patchs automatically syncronized.
but in miniAudicle, when i try to lauch xxx_1.ck and xxx_2.ck,
i have to start manually those two .ck files which make it very difficult to syncronize. if somebody knows about how to syncronize different patchs in miniAudicle, that'll be very helpful for me, who is, really really a baby in this domaine...(i start to tell myself; "maybe this is not for me...it's for other kind of human beings...)

thanks!
djeho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops!
i didn't see spencer's qoute on miniAudicle,
now i understand better..

thanks!
ge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djeho wrote:

chuck xxx_1.ck xxx_2.ck

make these two patchs automatically syncronized.
but in miniAudicle, when i try to lauch xxx_1.ck and xxx_2.ck,
i have to start manually those two .ck files which make it very difficult to syncronize. if somebody knows about how to syncronize different patchs in miniAudicle, that'll be very helpful for me

There is a somewhat easy way to do this from the miniAudicle. It involves creating an extra chuck program, which looks like this:

Code:
Machine.add( "xxx_1.ck" );

// optional wait (change duration to your liking)
0::second => now;

Machine.add( "xxx_2.ck" );

There are two caveats:

1. If you run this from the miniAudicle, you should make sure the path is set correctly relative to the location of the chuck files you are adding. This can be done in Preferences under the Misc. tab.

2. You won't be able to stop the two programs you've started by removing this "overlord" program - you've have to remove them from the monitor or by some other mean.

Quote:
(i start to tell myself; "maybe this is not for me...it's for other kind of human beings...)

ChucK is made for all human beings! Keep on ChucKin'. We can help!
spencer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,
djeho wrote:
i didn't know that i have to write code in TextEdit...i've tried
to write code directly in Terminal.

It is also possible to write code in miniAudicle but run code in Terminal. The advantages to using miniAudicle over TextEdit are syntax coloring and line numbers in the document margin.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djeho, it looks like it would be good if you looked up a text about using the terminal; the basic commands that you need are quite easy. There may be a manual that came with your computer, if not you can use any text that refers to "Bash". Bash is the name of the terminal, it's (mostly) the same on OSX and Linux.

I take it you already found the command "cd" ("cd .." to go up one level), it's also usefull to know "ls" which lists the files in the current directory. The way opf using the "chuck": command are in the PDF manual. I recomend that you also look up how to call your favourite text editor from the terminal (and the hotkeys for switching the active window) because that will mean you hardly ever need to touch your mouse.

Later you could look up how to move, make and delete files if it turns out you like the terminal. The terminal is a bit harder to get into then using a mouse but once you get the hang of it it can be a very fast way of doing things.

Notice that you don't need to type everything out. Often you can just type the begining of a file-name, then hit [tab] tab will automatically fill in the second half. with the arrow keys up and down you can go back and forth through the list of commands you entered lately, that's also usefull and time-saving.

You are right that it's perhaps wiser not to touch /usr/bin most of the time because it's a part of the system but here we are trying to make ChucK a part of the system too. Placing it in /usr/bin mean Unix will know it's a program. Once it's placed there you can call it from anywhere on the system, regardless of what directory you are "in". As Spencer said; you can just keep the chuck command there and keep your folder of ck files, examples, the manual and whatever in your home directory.

As for "kinds of human beings"; ChucK and the terminal may indeed require a certain kind of human being; it needs the kind of person who can figure (and try) a lot out on his own reading manuals and internet pages and who knows where and when to ask questions. So; looking at your posts that's you. You went from never having used the terminbal to installing a program yourself in a few hours. That's pritty good, you should be proud!

djeho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have to say that i've never seen any forums where people can be this much kind!! thanks for all the helps!

it is very true that i have to know some basic commands on Terminal. (thanks for the link!) so, now i've re-installed Chuck as written on the manual, and everything seems workin' fine.

i start to try out some examples and it's really fun, though i don't understand all...(but i'm "the kind" of human being, so no problem! Wink )

my goal was just to study on some synthesis in methodical way, but now i'm seriously thinking on using Chuck to replace those 2dvd full-plug-in synths...why i need all that craps?!!!!

thanks a lot
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: