electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
London Sinfonietta, Squarepusher, Jamie Lidell
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
themoors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: London Sinfonietta, Squarepusher, Jamie Lidell Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Following on from the sell-out success of Warpworks & 20th Century Masters at Ether 2003, the London Sinfonietta once again meet the stars of electronica, with live appearances by Squarepusher and Jamie Lidell. Alongside pieces by Aphex Twin, Warp videos and specially commissioned visuals, the concert includes a rare performance of Antheil's 1924 modernist classic Ballet Mécanique accompanied by Fernand Léger's film.

Steve Reich Pendulum Music
Aphex Twin Jynweythek and hy a Scullyas lyf adhagrow (arr. for prepared piano)
Edgard Varèse Ionisation
Squarepusher I Wish You Could Talk and Conc 2 Symmetriac (arr. Fraser Trainer and Sound Intermedia)
Squarepusher solo set
George Antheil Ballet Mécanique (with film by Fernand Leger & Man Ray)
Steve Reich Violin Phase
Jamie Lidell solo set
John Cage First Construction in Metal
Steve Reich Six Marimbas
Aphex Twin Polygon Window (arr. Kenneth Hesketh)

http://www.londonsinfonietta.org.uk/home/home.html

Hopfully getting my ticket to the liverpool event today....
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 166
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that is going to be a great concert!

Antheil's 1924 modernist classic Ballet Mécanique is a fantastic piece. I saw the American Composers' Orchestra perform it last year. It's a monstrous noise - superb.

You must let us know about this with a review.

As an asside, not many people know that composer George Antheil wrote a good deal of film music in Hollywood. He was chatting with film star Heddi Lamar, then known as "the most beautiful woman in the world", over dinner one night and started talking about Antheil's music, how he was experimenting with playing different rhythms on different notes (frequencies). To make a long story short (see here) they co-invented spread spectrum communications, now used in virtually every wireless telephone and network system on the planet. I guess this makes Heddy the Electro-babe of the 20th century. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fascinating story and even more fascinating girl.
I agree: let's make Hedy the Electro-babe of the 20th century Very Happy Wink
Quote:
Lamarr was frequently quoted as saying, "Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid." She may have played that role on the silver screen, but when it came to real life, Hedy proved that brainpower was everything.

Hedy's pictures cyclops
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
themoors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will do, I got my ticket last night so one of you should expect a poorly written reveiw for proof reading in a few weeks Laughing

There was an exclent article in Sound on Sound (seems to be somthing of a bible round here, unsuprising really) about the first performance of The Ballet Mechanique you can read it here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug00/articles/ballet.htm?session=420e8e54eab8b74a3ef6e327601bc4a7

This will be my first concert of "modernist " music in this kind of setting, so I'm expecting to be blown away...hope I can stoumach dinner after!

So if Heddy is getting the prize for the 20th any tips for 21st? bit early yet ?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 166
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

themoors wrote:
So if Heddy is getting the prize for the 20th any tips for 21st? bit early yet ?
Perhaps we better wait a few weeks.

Well, for the 20th maybe we should have an official election. Take nominations and stuff. Then have a poll. Maybe not, that would offend some people; electro-babe isn't really PC, is it? Sometimes I outreason myself. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Jump to: