electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Hello to you all
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Hello to you all Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My name is Rob Hordijk. I've been playing around with synths for some 25 years and almost the same amount of time with computers. My main interest in computers has been their application in music. I started out with an RCA 1802 based SuperElf processor board sequencing some analog stuff and around 1982 I switched to Apple ][+ and the Mountain Hardware Music System, for which I developed a Forth language version that could do all sorts of fun stuff with the Mountain cards, like KarplusStrong-type plucked string sounds and pitch shifting.
My first introduction to a DSP was to the DMX1000 around 1984. In 1986 I switched to Atari ST and an Akai S900. Right now I am a devoted Clavia Nord Modular G2 aficionado. You'll find some of my patches in the G2 factory library.

Originally I started out as a sculptor/goldsmith and for years my interest in sound was in its application in art/environments. The idea of sound as a material to be sculpted has always intrigued me. I see equipment only as tools to sculpt the audio material, I am not really a gear freak. But I do believe in mastering synthesis techniques, in making synthesis a second nature, so to be able to fully concentrate on the creative processes.

In the past I made music for environments, buildings, film, dance performances and the like, but never had an official CD release on a label.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW
I have heard many excellent things about you and your work with the Clavia Nord Modular.
Personally I am not a Clavia user but nonetheless I am very happy you joined our forum and I am sure many others here will be even happier welcome

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Rob. I'm sure we all would love to hear samples of your work. When you get a chance post some.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Rob, it's great to have you here.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, this is a red letter day for electro-music.com.

I met Rob in September at the Modular 2003 conference. I guess most people know that because of the articles I wrote about Rob's demonstration of the then alpha released G2. We had lots of laughs and may great discussions.

There are only a few people I'd call a Master Synthesist - Rob is one.

Anyhow, Rob, this is a great community - really special people. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

I agree with Seraph...
Quote:

WOW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if he was an Atari ST user, he can't be all bad.

(still has Atari ST in a box in the studio where it will live forever,.. just in case I need a sequencer backup)
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 wrote:
still has Atari ST in a box in the studio where it will live forever

I agree Very Happy Atari was so much ahead of their competitors in the roaring Shocked 80's.
I have one too (a Mega STE 4 with a 40 Mb HD and high density FD) Exclamation
It will live forever Idea

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The funny thing about the Atari is you could use it now for sequencing and it still has enough power to pull off most things.

Granted, you have the limitation of only 16 channels unless you had a "midi-plexor". My my software, Edit Trac (trak?) Gold, was pretty powerful.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Rob! I was introduced to the Nords fairly recently and am avidly learning them, so your presence here is appreciated...I am sure there is much I can learn from you. Very Happy
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 wrote:
Granted, you have the limitation of only 16 channels unless you had a "midi-plexor".

16 channels?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.C-Lab Unitor
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
C-Lab Export

A Pictorial History
of Emagic/ C-Lab Sequencers

www.tweakheadz.com wrote:
A variety of options were available, including an output expander called Export, which added 3 additional MIDI outputs, and Unitor-N (and later Unitor 2), which was a 2 in 2 out MIDI expander with a SMPTE/EBU Synchronizer. Near the end of Notator's development life, version 3.21 added support for LOG 3 which added another 3 outputs. This gave Notator a grand total of 3 merged inputs and 9 MIDI outs, or 144 MIDI channels

I got them all: 144 midi channels!

Quote:
dtannhei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulars confuse me Crying or Very sad
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: