electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Midioverlan + for PC
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Midioverlan + for PC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This program - Midioverlan+ - allows you to send midi signals between PCs using your ethernet network. What does this mean? Well, I networked 3 of my computers together and can route midi between them and it works - VERY well! No more bundles of midi cables going to midi interfaces on each computer. One cat5 cable to a hub (switch recommended) and you are set to go. Here is what I did with my setup just to give you an idea.

3 computers - A, B, C
3 Keyboards - XP-80, K2000, AN1X
---The XP-80 is connected to computer B, SB Live midi i/o
--- K2000, AN1X connected to computer C - RME HDSP 9652 midi i/o
--- V-stack running on computer A
--- Sonar running on B
--- Moog Modular V on C
--- Spirit Digital 328 console midi connected to M-audio Midisport 2x2 on A (control surface input)

All the audio is routed into the Digital 328. Using Midioverlan+ I can route ANY MIDI signal to ANY application that is running. Also, by splitting the actual quantity of MIDI ports between several computers, there is less overhead used by them. The Ethernet MIDI has virtually no latency - the only latency is that of the audio drivers.. I have been extremly pleased with the performance. This is the BEST $59 I have ever spent (except for that time when I was in the Navy....never mind... Smile ) Check here for more details:
http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

If you have 2 or more PCs in your studio - I strongly recommend it. It runs on Win98, ME, 2000 and XP. There is a demo available. If you do get the program I strongly recommend downloading their free application "Midi Connection Center 1.1" - this extends your routing capability. Get it here: http://www.musiclab.com/downloads/free/

Well, thought all of you would like to know about this!

Dave
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really great. You are right, this is pretty neat. Thanks for the news...

But wait, no Mac?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a few mac apps which sort do the same. But if Midioverlan came as a mac version.. that would be great.

Modularing 3.. which is a kind of modular thingie.. from http://www.milprod.com uses ethernet in order to communicate with other instances of itself.

And there is a little freeware thingie out there in a beta version which has been out for close to year.. which does basically the same as Midioverlan+. This one is pretty basic.. but works ok.

Other stuff has mentioned by friends but I havn´t checked those out yet.. and I do not remember the product names.

And of course... we have Cubase SX which supports audio and midi over ethernet in order to hook up with VST instruments and other Cubase SX apps.
DES

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't know that Cubase did that - I thought that Steinberg used System link which communicated over audio cables...

That's cool!

Dave
DES

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I meant digital audio cables, not analog audio cables...

Dave
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My mistake... ethernet connection was mentioned in the old white paper on VST System Link.. gone now.. haven´t checked that since.. well.. a long time ago.. it was once said it could use ethernet
DES

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Elektro - you might not be far off - I was just looking at the Nuendo 2.0 specs and they mention integration of ethernet as well as system link.... This is really an exciting time for musicians with regards to using computers for their studio's and as performance instruments. I figure SOMEONE is going to come up with a way to really optimize all of this audio software to get better performance and that will be the major breakthrough.. short of coding everything in assembly, I don't know what it could be - but I have a feeling that it is going to happen - and honestly, probably on the MAC first. Seems that Apple is taking the multimedia thing more seriously then "Wintel" people are.

Dave
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES... we actually have something there already with much promise.. namely the Yamaha mLAN protocol running on 1394 Firewire. With Firewire 800 we have even more bandwidth. The number of mLAN products on the market is just a handful right now.. but other vendors than Yamaha have just now started to get new stuff out there. As far as real specs go.. Firewire is an exellent bus to use and as as far as I remember from the mLAN white papers and the tech specs.. mLAN is awesome.
But.. having the option to use ethernet and / or firewire rfor both midi and audio really changes things. Exciting times.

The real cost of putting mLAN into a synth is really not that big. If just a few vendors take the risk.. and actually put digital instrument outputs on mLAN tigether with midi.. this will explode. There is really not a problem getting mLAN to run on a PC but but the MAC OS X CORE MIDI and AU etc etc. ( btw. I think I sent Howard a PDF from Apple about the APIs) is really the thing to have in an OS when you start to use transports like mLAN.

Hmm.. The MIDIoverLAN? app might be kool if I want to set up some PCs for midi control from the macs.. hmm.. Interesting.
There is a lot of great audio products for the wintel platform so I am not opposed to have a PC or two around here soon. For writing for orchestra having a Gigasampler box would be very helpful.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: