electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Sound and also Visuals
Page 4 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
rbedgar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Sound and Also Visuals
Subject description: Another approach
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been away for a while, banging on Max/MSP/Jitter.
I built a small app that loads a video, then lets me do single-frame jump pans through it, in short loops away from a center point. I can move the center of the pan through the video, and increase or decrease the outer range of the pan. Makes more sense when you see it...I think of it as kind of a temporal depth of field/focus adjustment.
Anyway, when it hits a frame, it plays the visual but also the audio for that frame. The retraversing of the pan gives a rhythmic element, but as I continue to move the center and length of the pans, the audio is not continually repetitive.
So while there is a sound synch element to the product, it isn't a music video... I find the results fascinating, but I also know that it could drive some people nuts...
If you're interested, check some of the "Simultaneous Opposites" clips on www.vimeo.com , just search for Robert Edgar. I'd be interested in feedback from this group.
Thanx
Robert

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
spbaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great thread! its bringing up a lot of stuff that is close to the project i'm doing at the moment which is all based around improvised sound and visuals and trying to maintain that balance between distraction and integration of the two mediums.
my approach is to have the audio affecting the image (z depth, temporal aspects of the video, blur amount etc) but also letting the image go on long enough that it allows the viewer time to free their thoughts about its actual "image" and when they find the rhythm/timing of the piece they know (i hope) that they don't have to sit fixated to the image continuously, either live or DVD or web, opening interesting spaces for meditation/reflection.
here's an example of what i'm talking about: http://www.vimeo.com/2642840
or find the whole kit & kaboodle at http://abreojos.net

another artist working with both who is a big inspiration is Richard Lainhart
http://otownmedia.com

and i really like what i'm seeing of your work Robert!
rbedgar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: sound and also visuals
Subject description: parsing what you'll work with

I find that selecting what you are going to manipulate is possibly the most important decision in a piece.
It also is what places a piece teleologically--where it sits in the developmental history of composition.
The same holds for the choice of how the visual and audio relate to each other.
Most music videos (mine included) cut visuals to a music track or bed. But I'm coming to believe that this is like making paintings on black velvet. Once the figure/ground is set, much of the rest is noodling. Not all the rest, but most of it.

How many original music videos can be made? Maybe only one. Or one per relationship between video and audio.

memedesigner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Semiannual update: I submitted a piece of mine to one of the Finnish literary reviews called Nuori Voima -- they are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year -- and lo'n'behold, they published the piece in their recent poems special issue, in the category of digital poems.

The title of the poem translates into Time, Space. Text is recited by an actor friend of mine + there are some ambient sounds and manipulated sounds using Melodyne. Visuals video -> Modul8 -> Final Cut.

http://www.nuorenvoimanliitto.fi/runous2008/harri-poyhonen_aika-avaruus.html
rbedgar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: New example of relating sound and visuals
Subject description: video and audio sample

http://www.vimeo.com/6462268

Rich and warm visuals and audio in this fifteen-minute piece. While SO#34 demonstrated how the SOE attacks the temporal "now", I believe #35 shows why. The "now" is atomized and dissipated throughout the piece, as if in the air.
The Simultaneous Opposites Engine (SOE) is set to automatically move ahead through the video file--previous to #34 it stayed with one center unless I actively shifted.
I play MIDI guitar which modulates the sound and image as the SOE constructs it. Image movement and audio also modulated live using the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller, sending triggers and values to the MAX/MSP/Jitter patch I've written.

Robin Edgar on mrudangam.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In case you didn't see it in the Ancient Lore of Myths and Legends thread, and because it's appropriate for this thread, I present to you the following video. I played a small part in it's production and I enjoy it. Comments are welcome as always.

Les

rbedgar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Paranoia video
Subject description: feedback

Here's what I think of the paranoia video:

1. I like the vocal commenting on what you see, a moment after you have a chance to think about it. It plays with a conceptual lag time that 's interesting. That's a nice job.
2. Paranoia, as a subject, is for me a cold war model. Today, for straight fear: we have possibly unstoppable natural physical systems destroying our environment triggered before anyone could control them; low-level pre-governmental structures trying to obtain nuclear warfare material, and the shockwaves left over from a fool with almost unlimited power doing the most global harm possible. I loved Gravity's Rainbow, but paranoia now would be a respite.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rbedgar, that IS scary! Actually what I should have mentioned was that the video was intended to portray the reality faced by paranoid schizophrenics, of which I happen to be one. I feel it very effectively conveys what paranoia is like for me. Heh, I guess paranoia is not just for schizophrenics, eh?

Les

rbedgar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Pictures and...what's that sound?
Subject description: paranoia synch

Heh...yeah, we all have our separate inspirations. May we all create our solutions!

Electroma Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Videoclips Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, what i most of the times try with videoclips is that the images/colours fit the mood of that part of the song. With rhythm i see it as a second rhythm wich also could be in the song itself.
Page 4 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: