electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Dual Purpose Klee
Page 5 of 5 [112 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
THeff

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Klee 2 YouTube video Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All,

I have placed a simple video demo of the Klee 2 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35ZpxBg_Ao

The video was created last night and was shortened quite a bit to meet the 10 minute requirement for YouTube videos.

Regards,

Tim
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice video!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Very nice video indeed!
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for that tim

cant wait!
just finished my 1st draft front panel design
looks like starship enterprise :S
think im going to call it vcs-klee as im using the vcs3 knobs

ill post my design once its going, i would like for you gents to see if there may be some workflow design flaws

im so excited about this im finding it hard to focus on my uni work

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
THeff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys for the nice feedback!

It's amazing how fast 10 minutes goes by when you are trying to describe something that has so many features and so much potential.

The one thing I wanted to get across was how quickly and easily you can get cool Klee sounds coming out synth. I hope that came through Smile

Tim
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THeff: fantastic video - it all makes more sense now.

and, oh shit - i spy some sexy MIDIbox kit! Nice looking panels on the MBSeq and MB-SID Smile Smile

THeff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:  MIDIBox spotted... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey sneakthief,

OK you caught me, yes there is MIDIBox stuff there. Actually there is also a MIDIBox FM module at the top of the rack out of picture. I love PIC microcontrollers and I really like what Thorsten has done with the PICs.

The learning curve on the MIDIBox SEQ and SID is steep. I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the vid comments!

Tim
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
welcome Tim

That's not a bad idea at all. Actually, I had some grand plans for a Model 3 Klee that would do something along those lines. As it was, I finally concluded the Model 2 (later the electro-music Klee) was just about "there" as far as how much people would want to fill a panel and PCB board. Your approach would be more economical.

As I mentioned, one idea was along the lines of yours, only I'd planned to implement it with CD4019s (of which I've got a buttload at home still unused).

The idea consisted of adding another row of 16 pots. Each row of pots would have a selector switch - Klee pattern or "normal" one bit sequencer. The gate bus would also have this selector switch. With that method, one could switch any row of pots and the Gate Bus to process either the Klee pattern or the normal 1 bit sequencer.

(Quoted from near the beginning of this thread)

Scott - your mention, reminded me of my original Matrix sequencer idea that I'd built a test unit of, in early 2006. I had 2 x 12 position rotary switches per STEP in my 4 step sequencer. I was able to switch between either of the 2, per step. That ultimately allowed, 24 different combinations of pitches from the 4 step sequencer. Smile

(My problem WITH that sequencer, was not doing the current source properly. I never could get the 1V/octave tuning to work. I've since learned and may be doing it again in my future builds of my Quadatrix sequencer design.)

Something like that would be a really cool mod. for the Klee. Very Happy Making each of the dual pitches per step voltage controllable as well, would be even cooler. Very Happy

(SOMEwhere on my web page, there IS also at least 1 sample of my above mentioned sequencer attempt. Though it's out of tune - it still does sound quite cool, for a 4 step sequencer. Smile )
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Klee 2 YouTube video Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THeff wrote:
All,

I have placed a simple video demo of the Klee 2 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35ZpxBg_Ao

Sweet. Thanks for the demonstration and WOW on your front panels (Great MIDIbox setups too!) Amazing stripboard work as well. Where are you folks getting those large veroboards/perfboards? I can't find any locally larger than 6x4". The stuff on ebay is all stripboard; I only need the single-hole solder points, not strips.

Which filters did you use, for bass and then the very last couple of seconds of the video, a resonant bassy sound. You listed a 2040, MS20, Mankato, and Moog filters on page 3 of this thread; which one(s) might it be? Thanks! Great stuff!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, love the vid Tim! Very Happy
THeff

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Peake & Uncle Krunkus

Thanks for the compliments! I really want to make a second video sometime that gives a more in depth view of the Klee coolness and features but haven't had the time.

Quote:
Where are you folks getting those large veroboards/perfboards? I can't find any locally larger than 6x4".

Believe it or not I got the perfboard at Radio Shack and it is the single hole clad, not the stripboard. I don't like the fact that it is phenolic, but it is quick and available. If you look closely at the perfboard pictures on this thread you can see that it says Radio Shack on one end of the board.

Quote:
Which filters did you use, for bass and then the very last couple of seconds of the video, a resonant bassy sound. You listed a 2040, MS20, Mankato, and Moog filters on page 3 of this thread; which one(s) might it be?

It has been a while since I recorded that track "Kleevland Factory" but I think I was using the 2040 clone filter, which is actually the MOTM 440. I bought just the bare PCB and built it up. I think it has become one of my favorite filters. BTW the entire MP3 version of "Kleevland Factory" is on page 4 of this thread, I think.

There is a new women in my life that has "distracted" me from e-music for a while, but it is a good thing! Cool She likes all of this stuff and actually encourages me. I am planning to do more Klee-ing, recording, and videos in the near future..."if the creek don't rise!" Wink

Thanks again, I really have got to get back in here more often!

Tim
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much! The last time I stepped into Radio Shack was indeed to ask after perfboard, and they said that they didn't have any.

My love for the Prophet 5 rev 1 and 2 is reborn!

Excellent work, Tim. Top quality panels, etc.
Page 5 of 5 [112 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: