electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music events
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music events
Subject description: insights from streaming em08
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought about saving this until we start planning the next one, but I want to get the thoughts down while they are still fresh, and besides, it seems we are already planning the next one.

This comes from having split sound engineering duties in the White Room with my son Jeremy and several other great volunteers, and also having run the stream on Friday evening. It gave me several perspectives.

1. We need to be able to chat between the the streaming volunteer and the sound volunteer in a performance room. I think the EM Chat Room would be perfect for this. People on the Chat want as high a bandwidth picture of what is going on as they can get, and what better way to get a picture than to have the sound engineer and stream engineer using the chat to coordinate their efforts?

Concrete example: Jeremy was doing the WR sound for Sensitive Chaos as I was doing my second stream, after Kip Rossner. The levels coming into the stream room were quite low, and I wasn't sure how much of that was baseline and how much was part of the initial piece of the performance. I guessed it was both, so I just mildly pushed the levels going out onto the stream until I could get a sense of the piece. S.C. (Jim Combs), Jeremy and I had been working sound together all day, and I think we had a little telepathy going on by then, which helped. In fact, someone (State Machine I think) said how great the quality of the sound was coming out, so I knew we had it. (Blue Hell immediately jerked my chain by claiming that he heard some 60 Hz hum!)

Another example is that some performances ran over as the other started in the other room. With one room still streaming out, there was no way to fade in the other room without also spilling it out onto the stream. The mixer in the stream room should be set up ahead of time so either room can be monitored independently of what is going out the stream. We should also have the setup established to monitor the stream coming back in, unless that is going to cause streaming bandwidth problems. I was leery of even starting a browser on the streaming machine to look up an artist for a Chat room participant, for fear of eating bandwidth.

Also, the Chat apparently had problems running on Saturday. The Chat was very valuable for listeners, and will be essential if we use it to communicate between sound and streaming engineers. It's also great fun for the streaming volunteer!

2. We should either mic the jam room or have recordings of recent jams available for the stream engineer to fill dead space ion the stream between performances. I guess I'm better at typing into the Chat than DJing, but there was dead space that would be better served by streaming event jams than by streaming prerecorded music.

3. We need an officially designated announcer in the rooms, fed into the stream. Maybe it could be the sound engineer or assistant. At previous EMs Mosc often used to do this in both rooms, in addition to manning the stream, but this year Mosc did a lot more performing and applying volunteers, which was a very good thing. I really appreciated getting to listen to Mosc perform more this year. Also the distances were too great to have 1 volunteer running back and forth between rooms to announce. But, the stream listeners wanted to hear this, and also requested keeping mics on to hear setup sound when there was nothing else being streamed.

4. We need a really good Internet connection in order to guarantee effective streaming, stream monitoring and inter-room coordination chat. If we are to stream jams during "dead time," we'd also need streaming connection to the jam room, which I think we should have. This should be a consideration in selection of venue.

5. We should train the streaming engineer in how to reboot or otherwise recover from system failure. Maybe there should be a fifteen-minute "Here's how to restart streaming and chatting" tutorial for volunteers before the start of each day. Then we won't have to keep pulling Mosc out of the audience to fix the stream.

6. Obviously, this calls for a few more volunteers, but only a few. And it's fun work!

I'll probably think of more after I post this, but I am sure someone else will, too.

EDIT: It never fails!

7. If we work the kinks out of on line jams being planned for this season, maybe we could have an on-line jam scheduled for the jam room next year!

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds very sensible to me - and I'll never joke again - erm not about the 60 Hz hum anyway Laughing

Edit: in fact the stream sounded better than ever before I think, no weird clipping or anything just a slight hiss from some USB device (which might have been on this side, it didn't bother me enough to sort it out)

It's too bad that there were so few listeners and chatters (thursday and friday, wasn't there saturday) ... this way I can imagine that people do not really feel an urge to make the streaming work better.

I think the silence that was on the stream at times this year was bad, whatever happens the stream should not go silent IMO, as I think it makes people go do something else.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
This sounds very sensible to me - and I'll never joke again - erm not about the 60 Hz hum anyway Laughing

Please don't stop on my account! I like to have stories like this to tell no no

Thanks for the comments. Have a good weekend.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are some very good suggestions AI makes here and thank him for this well thought out critique. I think it would be interesting to walk around with a wireless microphone and interview performers, attendees, front desk, etc ... to make the "dead" time more interesting and keep would be channel surfers interested and locked onto the EM stream. When there are no interviews available, maybe music can be played from past "electro-music" performances to fill the gaps as I just read a thread of someone doing the daunting task of organizing all the music archives from past EM events (probably about 150 hours in my estimation which would make a very large box set). Heck, I would even volunteer to do interviews for the next festival. Wink

I think the notion of a "cue" mix would be a very good idea so you know what you will be sending to the listeners. Hell, a good 4 channel DJ mixer would probably work fine in the streaming room.

I believe the small amount of listeners was due to the fact that the stream kept going silent so they just moved on, as Jan perceptively pointed out. I support this opinion also. Wink

The quality of the sound was very good I must say, when there was sound Wink I did not, however, see any artist information on the stream, just the event name, as had been in the past and I know that all webcasting software supports artist and event titling. Not sure why that was not done.

As far as communications between the sound engineer and streaming booths, a pair of "Family Radio Service " walkie talkies would also work if running cables between the rooms is not feasible. Less to go wrong to Wink

Well, just a few comments ......

Bill
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all I had a great time spending three nights in a row at the stream (two of them from 6 in the evening until 6 in the morning).
This year,for the first time, I was in the chat room. For me that made it mutch easyer to keep listening it through the night. I was happy that I could share the confusion about stream silence.
Specially saterday night, when there was a long silence and also the chat broke down several times, I almost gave it up around 3 in the morning. Luckily there was State Machine to keep me going. Smile or I had mist the Grand Finale. Embarassed

My compliments for the hostess on who was their part of saterday night. That to made a difference. I noticed she read from a program. It would be nice if we could download a copy as a PDF.
I used the schedule trying to keep track of what was going on. But maybe, for us European, we could have the CET in there as well.

Anyway. Like I sayid. I Had a great time and the stream sounded even better than last year. But the "being there" feel would mutch improve with adopting the remarks made here and here http://electro-music.com/forum/post-201410.html#201410 .

Thanks for the good times an keep up the good work.

Johan

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JZwart wrote:
But maybe, for us European, we could have the CET in there as well.

I use FoxClocks to keep an eye at the time in other parts of the world, a Firefox add-on.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I almost gave it up around 3 in the morning. Luckily there was State Machine to keep me going. Smile or I had mist the Grand Finale. Embarassed

Hey JZ, had lots of fun chatting "long distance". It made the evening lots of fun for me !! Very Happy Robin and I made a sort of party out of it all by piping the music thought the house. We made compensations for the silence in the stream and played other electronic music to fill the gap !!!

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, hey thanks for that suggestion !!! I will do that ...... I have also been using their mail client, Thunderbird .......... very nice mail program Wink

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried listening to the stream once, but heard nothing. I don't know if that was because it was silent, or because I had no idea what I was doing, but I agree, that knowing that something would be going out on the stream 24hrs/day would at least have given me an idea about what was going on.
omhoge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got great feed back from a bunch of folks who were able to listen.
From the folks who could not, I've distilled these thoughts.
Of course I don't know what the page looked like at the time so I can only pass on what I've heard.

- Advertise it more. I did some emailing and it really helped, some folks I missed who knew about the festival did not know about the feed. We really pushed the info on ThereminWorld and hope that helped.

- Make it really obvious and really easy to use,
two people reported trying to use it at the correct time and they were on the Radio page (they confirmed the old folks picture) but they could not connect to the feed. Since one of them is pretty computer savvy, I think the page could use some "focus" to make it easier to use. Maybe remove everything text and link wise that might distract and make any buttons, links and critical instruction impossible to miss.

- Check during sound check, and dry run. My set started a couple minutes in after a long dead air space and comment from the operator that help was needed. Maybe a loop of electro festival facts could be plugged in between things to keep listeners aware that it's working at least?

All in all a great feature and definitely helped a decent number of my audience who could not be there in person hear the set.
I'll post more as I get more feedback.
much appreciated! - John Hoge
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music eve

Greetings,

I was in charge of the stream Thursday night so I'd like to add my $0.02 worth:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:
1. We need to be able to chat between the the streaming volunteer and the sound volunteer in a performance room. I think the EM Chat Room would be perfect for this. People on the Chat want as high a bandwidth picture of what is going on as they can get, and what better way to get a picture than to have the sound engineer and stream engineer using the chat to coordinate their efforts?
I agree that communication was needed. What I wanted was verbal communication because of its efficiency. I found that typing on the chat room was too cumbersome for me. Plus, all I had to do was open the mic and talk to the listeners. Few in the chat room, if any, would have missed anything spoken by the stream host. As a radio show host since 1996, I find typing too distracting from doing a great show. Now I realize that perhaps the electro-music audience might not require such a professional presentation, but the listener from outside our community really might not need to know about the inner workings of how the stream is done and, in fact, is a broadcast taboo. In the professional broadcast world, program content should never be infected by such technical details. That being said, I'd agree that putting details in the chat room would be a bonus that some would appreciate.
Another example is that some performances ran over as the other started in the other room. With one room still streaming out, there was no way to fade in the other room without also spilling it out onto the stream. The mixer in the stream room should be set up ahead of time so either room can be monitored independently of what is going out the stream.
I'm a little confused by your terminology because fading in program material, in the world of broadcasting, means that it DOES get broadcast. However, I understand your intent to convey the need to listen to program material in cue mode. The wealth of Behringer, Mackie, and other mixers are very poor for streaming/broadcasting because they have no cue feature. Only DJ and actual broadcast boards have this function. That being said, I use the Alt Bus on my 4-bus Behringer mixer as a cue bus. It is cumbersome at best but is serviceable. The mixer used on the stream only had 2 busses, iirc.
Also, the Chat apparently had problems running on Saturday. The Chat was very valuable for listeners, and will be essential if we use it to communicate between sound and streaming engineers. It's also great fun for the streaming volunteer!
My personal preference is to have verbal communication between PA and streaming personnel because (1) it is more efficient than a chat room, (2) doesn't rely on an unreliable chat room, and (3) it doesn't use any of the streaming bandwidth which may be a problem. Theaters have used walkie-talkie style devices for years for verbal communication behind the scenes.
2. We should either mic the jam room or have recordings of recent jams available for the stream engineer to fill dead space ion the stream between performances. I guess I'm better at typing into the Chat than DJing, but there was dead space that would be better served by streaming event jams than by streaming prerecorded music.
Dead air is the biggest broadcast taboo. For our purposes, the electro-music samplers, CDs by the performing artists, recordings of the talks and demos, recordings of the jams, etc. should all be fair game to fill dead air. The problem is the need for more equipment is the closet sized broadcast/streaming booth plus volunteers to record events and then prepare them for broadcast. Even if it is only making a file and transferring it to a computer (not the one doing the streaming?) in the streaming booth, a volunteer needs to be designated for each event. More volunteers would be needed than were used at this year's event.
5. We should train the streaming engineer in how to reboot or otherwise recover from system failure. Maybe there should be a fifteen-minute "Here's how to restart streaming and chatting" tutorial for volunteers before the start of each day. Then we won't have to keep pulling Mosc out of the audience to fix the stream.
The problem was that the streaming machine was Howard's personal property and a password was required to restart the stream. Although changing the password to "em08" for the duration of the event would have helped, I not sure if there would be other issues involved since the PC is Howard's main computer from home.

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, just a remark about something stream operators might not be aware of. The chat room is pretty much immediate, but the audio stream has quite some delay.

So when you say things on the stream they will reach the listener something like 15+ seconds later than when typed into the chat window. Likewise remarks the stream operator reads in the chat window may refer to something that was said quite a bit earlier.

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
FWIW, just a remark about something stream operators might not be aware of. The chat room is pretty much immediate, but the audio stream has quite some delay.

So when you say things on the stream they will reach the listener something like 15+ seconds later than when typed into the chat window. Likewise remarks the stream operator reads in the chat window may refer to something that was said quite a bit earlier.
When a host says something on the stream, it is for the listeners only. Even if there weren't a delay, absolutely no communication between volunteers should be done over the stream because it is VERY BAD broadcast practice. It would be like the local TV station manager telling the crew about a problem with a piece of gear and how to work around the problem. The TV viewers don't need to know and don't care how things are done. They only care that they get their program. A stream should be treated the same way, imo.

Crew communications should only be done in private, over walkie-talkies, imo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music eve

djfoxyfox wrote:
My personal preference is to have verbal communication between PA and streaming personnel because (1) it is more efficient than a chat room, (2) doesn't rely on an unreliable chat room, and (3) it doesn't use any of the streaming bandwidth which may be a problem.

My only reservation about this for the White Room is that we wouldn't want the room sound engineer (who was near the front of the room, in part necessitated by available cable lengths) to be talking during peformance. Maybe we should have both talking for pre-performance and computer chat (public or private chat) for performance available. Private chat could be point-to-point, likely more reliable, and is low bandwidth. I agree with everything else 100%.

Nice working with you, Bill, and thanks for lending us your mic, stand and cable Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, I was not suggesting that the chat room or the audio channel should be used for event internal communications.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music eve

My only reservation about this for the White Room is that we wouldn't want the room sound engineer (who was near the front of the room, in part necessitated by available cable lengths) to be talking during peformance.
Actually, if the venue mixer and the streaming mixer are set up so that their meters read the same, then the only communication that is needed is in between performances to coordinate when a program is about to start. 0 VU on the venue's mixer should read 0 VU on the streaming mixer. Then the streamer becomes a fade up to the set level operation and the venue operator watches levels with confidence that they are feeding good levels to the stream.

Cheers,

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Bill, I was not suggesting that the chat room or the audio channel should be used for event internal communications.
Sorry for misunderstanding. With that in mind, the delay becomes moot. At WDIY, there is an 8 second delay between when I do something in the studio and when it actually gets broadcast. Since I am not monitoring the delayed signal in the studio, the delay has no meaning and doesn't matter to me. A stream would be the same deal as far as I can see. It's nice to know that the delay is there but there really isn't any significance to it that I can see.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestions for streaming and chatting electro-music eve

djfoxyfox wrote:
My only reservation about this for the White Room is that we wouldn't want the room sound engineer (who was near the front of the room, in part necessitated by available cable lengths) to be talking during peformance.
Actually, if the venue mixer and the streaming mixer are set up so that their meters read the same, then the only communication that is needed is in between performances to coordinate when a program is about to start. 0 VU on the venue's mixer should read 0 VU on the streaming mixer. Then the streamer becomes a fade up to the set level operation and the venue operator watches levels with confidence that they are feeding good levels to the stream.

Cheers,

Yes, this would have eliminated one of our occasional problems.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
It's nice to know that the delay is there but there really isn't any significance to it that I can see.

Shocked

When you ignore the interaction with your listeners through the chatroom you're throwing away something that has made the electro-music streaming special in the past - better than radio.

Apart from that there is a practical issue ... it has always been the case that the stream after going dead or into distortion would only better up after listeners complained through the chat room.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
djfoxyfox wrote:
It's nice to know that the delay is there but there really isn't any significance to it that I can see.

Shocked

When you ignore the interaction with your listeners through the chatroom you're throwing away something that has made the electro-music streaming special in the past - better than radio.

Apart from that there is a practical issue ... it has always been the case that the stream after going dead or into distortion would only better up after listeners complained through the chat room.

The chat room is also the only place to get accurate feedback on all that 60 HZ hum

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The chat room is also the only place to get accurate feedback on all that 60 HZ hum

Indeed Exclamation

What I'm trying to say is that through radio alone you will not be able imho to beam out the special atmosphere the festival has. When the chat room is being used that will add a bit of the social interaction like it takes place at the event itself. Interviews might help as well, but just atmospheric sounds would work even better I think. There is no need for a radio show, a show wouldn't mean much to me and I would tune out probably .. but I may be an odd one here.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a lot of fun on the chat room. Two-way entertainment!
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
djfoxyfox wrote:

Perhaps my stance on the stream and the chat room are being confused? Each plays an important role in the event. I think that the stream should be treated more like a professional broadcast and the inter-volunteer communications should be private. I don't believe that I ever said anything about not having the chat room, only that it shouldn't be used for certain things such as inter-volunteer communications at the venue. When I hosted the stream, I certainly used the chat room as much as my poor skills allowed and advocate its use for communications between the listeners, other listeners, and the stream host when possible.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
[...]and advocate its use for communications between the listeners, other listeners, and the stream host when possible.

Sorry for the confusion, had not picked that up ... should have been in bed anyway in stead of typing here.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
JZwart wrote:
But maybe, for us European, we could have the CET in there as well.

I use FoxClocks to keep an eye at the time in other parts of the world, a Firefox add-on.

Hadn't heard of this one- good idea though. Keep 'em coning!

Touche'

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: