electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
RendezVous 4 Brass on G2
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
G2-JARRE

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: RendezVous 4 Brass on G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need some help with that Elka Synthex sound.
If any know the song from Jean Michel Jarre.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not familiar with the Jarre albums, but I had a Synthex on loan for a few months way way back. Anyway, we have the most excellent Carlo Serafini here, who might have suggestions .. check this thread:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-17253.html

....on the other hand.. he does not own a G2...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morten? A norwegian? Kool! Welcome Morten! Very Happy Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pstnotpd

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,
If y'all have any luck in figuring this out, could you please post advice on tuning my 'synthex emulation' which is in the patch archive?
I don't have a synthex myself so it's rather hard to compare.

Cheers,
Patrick
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum, Morten. Glad to have you here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am from Denmark.

Here is a MP3 of the sound thanks to Per.

Synthex_RV4-Brass.mp3
 Description:
Elka Synthex

Download
 Filename:  Synthex_RV4-Brass.mp3
 Filesize:  318.36 KB
 Downloaded:  730 Time(s)

G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks

I looking forward to own a Clavia NordModular G 2X it sound great.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2-JARRE wrote:

Here is a MP3 of the sound thanks to Per.

Is that someone playing a real synthex? With a little reverb?

Can anyone describe what the second bandpass filter mode does?
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes he own a Synthex and play RendezVous 4 but I am not sure he use Reverb.

I think Synthex is famous by it's Chorus.

I will look in the Manual(PDF) for Synthex for the BPF.

pstnotpd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to the manual the first BP is a 6db, while the 2nd is a 12db filter.

Cheers,
Patrick
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pstnotpd wrote:
Hi guys,
If y'all have any luck in figuring this out, could you please post advice on tuning my 'synthex emulation' which is in the patch archive?
I don't have a synthex myself so it's rather hard to compare.

Cheers,
Patrick

I can not find it but anyway I do not have The G2X yet.

pstnotpd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, it seems you're right. Probably only posted it on the old mailing list.
Anyway. It's in the Synth-Completed section now.
It's been a while since I made this and there were some tradeoffs to get a reasonable polyphony (especially when my G2 had no expansion)

Hope you guys want to help tune.....

Patrick
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone

Here is my not very good attempt.

pstnotpd, your patch shows a lot of attention to detail and can create some very good sounds. Apart from the .mp3, I don't know what a real synthex sounds like. They never made it to this part of the world.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-17683.html#17683
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did Seraph ( carlo ) ever discover this thread? He owned one for years and he might even have various recordings of it?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pstnotpd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:

pstnotpd, your patch shows a lot of attention to detail and can create some very good sounds.

Thanks. I took the advice from the Modular book to focus on 'user interface' and try to get the knobs to map logically. Igot stuck with the glide and the joystick. How would you do that with the 1 wheel and the pitch stick.......??

And I must admit I took a lot of the ideas from the nice synthex emulation on reaktor.

Could you please post back your tweaks as nortex C or something like that? I'd like to hear what you did with it.

And if anyone has the preset settings of the original Synthex so we might get somewhere with comparing the sounds?

Cheers,
Patrick
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can poste a mp3 of it I do not have the G2 yet waiting on G2x.
I have 20 sound-demos from Elka Synthex.

ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a small change to my original post. It contained an error in the distortion x-over (I was distorting the high band instead of the lower harmonics). I have also, swapped the Clavia distortion for Rob’s odd even distortion. The most prominent distortion components in a state variable filter come from the OTA (operational transconductance amplifier). The early ones had a very small linear working range so almost always produce significant amounts of distortion. Some say the distortion is close to valve preamp type distortion.
To be honest, the original on the mp3 has a sort of subtle ‘inner ear warming’ effect that I can’t explain (or duplicate). Maybe if I could look at the raw (un-chorused) brass wave, isolated from the bass, I might get some clues. I’m still not setup for making quality recordings so I can’t post an example. Lets hope your G2X is not far away.
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that RV4 Brass not made with Synthex 24 dB Low pass that is also the only Lowpass in synthex.So I did add a classic 24 db Lowpass filter in you patch and a 8 switch.

If you like I can send you the Synthex manual it is in PDF and I also have Korg PS 3300 and MemoryMOOG in PDF.

Synthexish mk II.pch2
 Description:
with 24 classic lowpass also

Download
 Filename:  Synthexish mk II.pch2
 Filesize:  3.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1177 Time(s)

G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But any way thanks for trying to make Elka Synthex it still a great machine.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2-JARRE wrote:
If you like I can send you the Synthex manual it is in PDF and I also have Korg PS 3300 and MemoryMOOG in PDF.

Why not post the PDF file in a new topic under How To's. Then it will always be available to whoever searches for it. If you need any help, just let me know via PM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pstnotpd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe a manuals section would be nice? I've got a few...

http://www.futureproducers.com/assets/reviews/elka_synthex/Elka%20Synthex%20-%20manual.pdf
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pstnotpd wrote:
Maybe a manuals section would be nice? I've got a few...

Well, pstnotpd (can't pronounce that), a great suggestion. I just created a manuals forum under "How Tos". Please have the honor to be the first to post to that forum. If you wish, you can upload the PDFs as attachments and then you won't need to host them yourself, or you can just post the link. Whatever...
pstnotpd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy It's a rather awkward one I admit, but I can get away with using this name on any forum.

I've uploaded the Elka Synthex PDF and going to do the other ones I have. An interesting one is the DS Evolver. I've tried to patch this on the G2 but I got 'less than satisfying' results so far. The feedback is a killer.

Also I would suggest posting the PDF's as links are disappearing by the day.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pstnotpd wrote:
An interesting one is the DS Evolver. I've tried to patch this on the G2 but I got 'less than satisfying' results so far. The feedback is a killer.

Yeah, I had a a crack at it a few weeks ago. Could never get the feedback working properly, and the delay on the evolver is a bit weird. The main thing that stopped me though was the modulation matrix that you would need: a 24x68 matrix!! Shocked Each LFO, Seq and env3 has 68 (or was it 66...) selectable destinations. Then you can use the 4 modulation routers to route a mod source (lfo, seq env's) to any mod destination (a choice of 68 again). A stupid amount of mixers, switches etc. would be needed to do this. Phew!

If you need any help, let me know. I've got a dsi evolver in my studio at the moment, so I could give you hand getting the sound right.
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: