electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Question about keyboard samplers
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DeloreanSunset

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Question about keyboard samplers
Subject description: Question about keyboard samplers
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking for a keyboard sampler that I can use to play sounds from my midiNES as well as some glitchy stuff from circuit bent toys and the like. Dragging out a TV, NES, AND a Midi controller AND a zillion bent gadgets on top of all my other synths to shows is not appealing to me at all! Being able to have a single keyboard that can play all of those sounds would be rad.
I want something that is portable, has a keyboard, and (preferably) easy to use and affordable, but I have no idea where to start! I've searched the internet and I'm coming up short on useful information.
I'm new to the concept of sampling (In the past I've just been using synthesizers), so I appreciate any help anybody can throw my way!
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, for a start, try to get the Casio SK1.
Some people consider this a toy, but it can sample with a microphone or a line input.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the Electribe SX-1 for sampling stuff and playing back. Even though I mostly use Ableton for samples nowadays, I still turn on the Electribe every now and then. To say it has a keyboard may be a stretch though...

/Stefan

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Old Akai S-series samplers are fairly cheap, and sound like something you should check out. You'd of course still need to provide a keyboard however.

Home,My Studio,and another view
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Question about keyboard samplers

DeloreanSunset wrote:
I'm looking for a keyboard sampler that I can use to play sounds from my midiNES as well as some glitchy stuff from circuit bent toys and the like. Dragging out a TV, NES, AND a Midi controller AND a zillion bent gadgets on top of all my other synths to shows is not appealing to me at all! Being able to have a single keyboard that can play all of those sounds would be rad.
I want something that is portable, has a keyboard, and (preferably) easy to use and affordable, but I have no idea where to start! I've searched the internet and I'm coming up short on useful information.
I'm new to the concept of sampling (In the past I've just been using synthesizers), so I appreciate any help anybody can throw my way!

Check out the Korg MicroSampler! I just bought one. It's light & small, it has a keyboard, 37 keys, you can put a sample on each key. There are 8 banks & there are only 160 seconds worth of sampling time on each bank, so I guess it's not good for too many big fat backing trax.

It is my first sampler, so I can't compare. I think it is OK at what it does, definitely great for one-shots. Of course, you have to ignore all the Voices that say "just use Ableton, Just use ableton, just use..."

laura

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about keyboard samplers

Quote:

Check out the Korg MicroSampler! I just bought one. It's light & small, it has a keyboard, 37 keys, you can put a sample on each key. There are 8 banks & there are only 160 seconds worth of sampling time on each bank, so I guess it's not good for too many big fat backing trax.

It is my first sampler, so I can't compare. I think it is OK at what it does, definitely great for one-shots. Of course, you have to ignore all the Voices that say "just use Ableton, Just use ableton, just use..."

laura

returning to the subject...I'm not all that happy with the MicroSampler. It's great for loading in samples FROM ABLETON... but for recording realtime phrases, it is very fussy & difficult. At 160 seconds per bank (36 samples/bank), there is not much space for more than a few seconds per sample. (My idea of a sample is a phrase, riff, rhythm patch...more than just banging on a kitchen pot.) Plus, once you put the sample in, you can't step-edit, time stretch, beat-match. It will take you several hours to truncate the length to where you want it.

Um, maybe I'm looking for Ableton? Naaahhh...

Sure I could use Ableton, but I would also like to have a hardware device that can perform independently of a computer. Computers aren't always reliable y'know....

So I am still looking for the perfect device. Any suggestions (besides old & obsolete ones I won't be able to find.) Could the AKAI MPC's be what I"m looking for?

Laura

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont know of many good keyboard samplers, but there are plenty of non-keyboard ones that have a lot ot buttons/pads for triggering the samples. Some of them allow you to hook up a midi controller keyboard. You might want to broaden your search.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
I dont know of many good keyboard samplers, but there are plenty of non-keyboard ones that have a lot ot buttons/pads for triggering the samples. Some of them allow you to hook up a midi controller keyboard. You might want to broaden your search.

OK, what are some good ones? Is it mostly the AKAI?
laura

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jez ( modulator esp ) had some thingie that he was having great fun with doing, I think live, sampling.

I forgot what it was, just remember he brought it from the electro-music 2010 festival and that he used it in a radio show he did from a US hotel ... maybe PM him ... or maybe he'll see this.

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Jez ( modulator esp ) had some thingie that he was having great fun with doing, I think live, sampling.

I forgot what it was, just remember he brought it from the electro-music 2010 festival and that he used it in a radio show he did from a US hotel ... maybe PM him ... or maybe he'll see this.

do you mean my little VSS-30, purchased from the e-m 2009 swap meet

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

it's a fun thing, but it has limited sample time and no memory, so probably not suited for what the OP wanted to do, unless he was prepared to record his sounds into something like an ipod so he could then sample them live during his set, which is what I do

For my last US tour I recorded short samples of 32 different VCS3 sounds loaded them into my ipod as mp3s then used an app called EveryDay Looper to play them back and sample them with the VSS-30, layering multiple sounds using a Repeater looper

The best thing about the VSS-30 is that it loops sounds really well, just using the forward/backwards loop function, and has full ADSR envelope control and a nice grungey sound

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

Bloody time flies - but yeah that is what I meant.

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Samplers
Jump to: