electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
XR-VCO PCBs.
Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Sine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The placement of R7 looks like it could be a tempco ?
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: ready to go!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay Boys and Girls,

They're here and they're ready to go! The prices are:

PCB $20 ea
XR2206 chip $6.50 ea
2K Tempco $3.50 ea, less if you buy 2 or more.

Give us a shout at Magic Smoke and we'll give you more info!

Tim (bleeping and blooping with my new toy) Servo
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And yes, R7 is a 2K tempco Wink I've left the leads long on mine and have it perched on top of the LM394 transistor package. Since I've got the LM394 in a socket, I think I may actually try putting the tempco under the 394 (socket / tempco / dab of heat sink compound / LM394).

Tim (recovering from an all night XR build) Servo
stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
And yes, R7 is a 2K tempco Wink I've left the leads long on mine and have it perched on top of the LM394 transistor package. Since I've got the LM394 in a socket, I think I may actually try putting the tempco under the 394 (socket / tempco / dab of heat sink compound / LM394).

Tim (recovering from an all night XR build) Servo

...pictures of said build at 11?

Smile

life is a treasure... dig it!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to try to post a pic tonight, but I think he's going off the "Parts Layout" image I posted on page 1 of this thread for the location and orientation of R7.

Tim (now where's that pesky digital camera?) Servo
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Besides 2k tempco, 1.87k probably works as well.

I can hardly wait!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, now this board sounds good. I will most likely purchase some myself to ... Thanks for doing this Tim !!

Bill
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everybody,

The bad news is the first batch of XR VCO boards is sold out! The good news is that I'm going to order more. Smile I've sent messages to everyone that I'm holding boards for, so make sure you let me know if you really don't want them. Thanks to everyone who snagged one up. The next batch should be here in about two weeks. I'm also ordering more of our other boards, as we're sold out of a couple different items.

As far as subbing a 1.87K Tempco for the 2K, that should work, but it may throw off the V/Oct circuit. I would probably compensate by changing the input resistors by an equal percentage. Right now, the circuit is set up with 100k for most inputs, and 2k for the feedback R. Just keep the ratio the same if you change the feedback R. Still, I'd say a 2K tempco is going to be easier to find than a 1.87K

Tim (got my Purchasing Dept hat on) Servo
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will the next batch fix the kludge w/ the 2 resistors?

are those of us who tried to contact you but missed out, on a waiting list? (i had emailed you via the magicsmoke addy and PMed, but never heard).

thx!
bbob

Tim Servo wrote:
Hi Everybody,

The bad news is the first batch of XR VCO boards is sold out! The good news is that I'm going to order more. Smile I've sent messages to everyone that I'm holding boards for, so make sure you let me know if you really don't want them. Thanks to everyone who snagged one up. The next batch should be here in about two weeks. I'm also ordering more of our other boards, as we're sold out of a couple different items.

As far as subbing a 1.87K Tempco for the 2K, that should work, but it may throw off the V/Oct circuit. I would probably compensate by changing the input resistors by an equal percentage. Right now, the circuit is set up with 100k for most inputs, and 2k for the feedback R. Just keep the ratio the same if you change the feedback R. Still, I'd say a 2K tempco is going to be easier to find than a 1.87K

Tim (got my Purchasing Dept hat on) Servo

hway23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Hi Everybody,

The bad news is the first batch of XR VCO boards is sold out!

? I though it was going to be on the magic smoke website Confused
reve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards arrived in California yesterday. Smile I'm assuming for Resistors and Caps with part numbers under 100 we use Scott's values?

I know docs are in process, but... it's hard to resist stuffing. Smile
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs.
Subject description: Parts List
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

I've been slow to respond to people lately, as I've just been swamped with all sorts of stuff. Sorry about that. Yes, the TH-102 docs are in process, but I have attached a preliminary parts list here. It's missing a few Mouser part numbers, but it should be enough to get you started. Please check it carefully and let me know if I goofed up anything, or if there's something that doesn't make sense.

The parts numbers come from the XR-VCO schematic in Thomas' AS21C book, so those may or may not jive with the listing on Scott's site. Part numbers over 100 are parts that I added to the original schematic. Anyway, the full doc package will follow for people who have purchased boards, and the next batch of boards has been ordered and should be here on or before the 20th (according to the board house). The response on this one has been pretty big, so thanks to everyone who has purchased boards!

Tim (missing a few Mouser part numbers his self) Servo

Updated 2009-Aug-16, fixed value of C8

TH-102-02b Parts List.pdf
 Description:
TH-102 "El Cerrito" XR VCO Parts List - Updated 2009-Aug-16

Download
 Filename:  TH-102-02b Parts List.pdf
 Filesize:  74.17 KB
 Downloaded:  356 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Servo on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of additional notes:

This board will be a normal stock item for us, so we don't update the Magic Smoke site with in stock/out of stock status. Generally, if we run out of one of our boards, we order a new batch and have them in 2 - 3 weeks or less.

The new batch of boards is a Rev 02 (TH-102-02) and this will fix the problem with the two resistors going to -V instead of +V. The parts list above will work for both Rev 01 and Rev 02 boards. People should be receiving their boards in the next week or so (if they haven't already). If you've ordered boards and haven't received them, or if we haven't given you some sort of confirmation about your order status, give me a shout at Magic Smoke and tell me to get off my duff! Wink

Thanks again to everyone!

Tim (Duff Man) Servo
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy I can see my dual "El Cerrito" Oeoeoeoee!
hway23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will there be an updated schematic for the new features?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the TH-102 doc package includes a schematic with the new additions highlighted. Smile

By the way, I've been fiddling with mine, and I've figured that it is possible to get three octaves of tones from it. If you turn the Skew control all the way up, the Tri / Sine output will sound +1 octave up from the 'fundamental' note. Since the Pulse wave is derived from the Tri/Sine, it will be one octave up also. The Rampoid and Square waves will be at the "fundamental" tone, and so will the Pulse suboctave. And then finally, the Square suboctave will be one octave below the fundamental tone. The Tri / Sine and the Pulse will change octaves depending on the setting of the Skew control, as will the Pulse suboctave. All sorts of fun Smile

Tim (one octave up) Servo
reve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim, the parts list you posted has C8 as a 0.022uf cap. I believe the schematics have 0.22uf listed as the value, so I thought it'd be wise to ask for a verification.

Thanks!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reve wrote:
Tim, the parts list you posted has C8 as a 0.022uf cap. I believe the schematics have 0.22uf listed as the value, so I thought it'd be wise to ask for a verification.
Thanks!

Ah, good catch! I have corrected this and posted a new Parts List. Thanks for that.

Tim (playing catch) Servo
johans121

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any news when these will be back in stock? I never heard back from you after you released the first batch, and I don't want to miss out on this second one...

-Jim
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Johan,

The next batch o' boards are supposed to be here around the 20th (according to the board house). I apologize if I haven't gotten back to everyone who has asked about these boards, but I'll shout out here when they arrive. Smile

Tim (soldering, typing, and watching The Fifth Element) Servo
jojjelito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my boards today. They certainly look the business! Thank you Tim Cool
jwilsey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got mine today- Thanks Very Happy
loopcycle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im watching this space for when the new boards are available too.
reve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
there are two resistors where you only solder in one end, and tie the other end to +V

Say Tim, I know you're still working on the docs, but just for the sake of being deadly sure that I'm tying the right resistors to V+ on these Rev. 1 boards could you verify the part numbers?

Thanks!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Reve (and any others who have Rev 01 boards),

The resistors in question are R108 and R118. Take a look at the attached doc, and it will show you which end to lift and where to attach a jumper to get +V to the right points. I'm STILL working on the connector wiring diagram for the TH-102 boards, and then the Official Doc Package will be ready.

Oh, and XR boards are now back in stock at Magic Smoke!

Tim (loves making diagrams - it's like arts n' crafts) Servo

TH-102 Rev01 Rework.pdf
 Description:
TH-102 XR VCO Boards - Rev 01 rework instructions

Download
 Filename:  TH-102 Rev01 Rework.pdf
 Filesize:  77.96 KB
 Downloaded:  297 Time(s)

Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next