electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Single note arpeggiation on Lead 2?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
thared33

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Single note arpeggiation on Lead 2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to figure out how to work with the arpeggiator feature in the LFO2 section on the Lead 2. As far as I know there is no actual bpm rate that you can program, only the knob. Right? I'm having trouble doing a single note arpeggiation though. Say, I want to hold down a single note and have it arpeggiate in whichever notes I want 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. I can get the arpeggiator to work between two different notes, but not get it to arpeggiate a single note. I tried setting it to Echo but that's a bit of a different kind of arpeggiation, but closest to what I'm trying to do.

Is the Nord Lead 2 capable of doing this? The only other way I'm thinking to do this is to program it from a sequencer and have the midi signals coming into the Lead 2. It'd be nice to be able to program it the way I want though.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single note arpeggiation on Lead 2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome thared33

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to work with the arpeggiator feature in the LFO2 section on the Lead 2. As far as I know there is no actual bpm rate that you can program, only the knob. Right?
At http://electro-music.com/forum/post-209994.html#209994 you find a file named 'BPM', in which is a list of all 128 values of the Rate knob calculated in BPM. To set the value, press [Shift+LFO1WaveForm] and turn the Rate knob of LFO2. Value [56] is exactly 120 BPM.[/quote]I'm having trouble doing a single note arpeggiation though. Say, I want to hold down a single note and have it arpeggiate in whichever notes I want 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. I can get the arpeggiator to work between two different notes, but not get it to arpeggiate a single note. I tried setting it to Echo but that's a bit of a different kind of arpeggiation, but closest to what I'm trying to do.[/quote]Best thing to do is to connect a MidiClock to the MidiIn port. I use the NordModular Micro for this, but every synth or whatever will do. Let's say I want 180 beats per minute, I set the the ArpRate not to value [63], but value [62], so the new trigger will be done by the MidiClock at the exact moment.
Quote:
Is the Nord Lead 2 capable of doing this? The only other way I'm thinking to do this is to program it from a sequencer and have the midi signals coming into the Lead 2. It'd be nice to be able to program it the way I want though.
The above solution is in a way using an extern trigger pulse.

When using more synth then the NordLead (even more Leads) the Arps won't run the same and therefor won't trigger at the same moment. So it is better to use the same extern trigger pulse, provided mostly by a MidiClock. You can set the reaction to MidiClock in the NordLead (see the manual) This also goes for the LFO's, which has to be calibrated by slightly change the value and setting it back. This is important when using LFO1 in Pulse wave directed to Osc2, FM and PulsWidthMod. Sometimes the Filter too...

Wout
thared33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I guess the answer to my question is No, it can't do what I want Razz

I was thinking it would have that. It seems... awfully weird that a synth as good as this doesn't have an arpeggiator setting for playing just single notes arpeggiated in whichever fraction of notes I want. Every other synth I've ever played has that. I'm almost thinking I'm still doing something wrong because a synth missing that feature is just Shocked
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the big difference is the NordLead doesn't have an internal MidiClock! Using a MidiClock one is able to make different note values by dividing the Midi data in a different way.
At he other hand the Lead has to ability to run on very high Arpeggio speed, which has some nice effects.

To run different Arpeggio's in 4 Slots, special the Percussion mode with normal synth sounds is very nice to use, need a MidiClock...

Wout
thared33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see... so I guess there's no way.

To explain it for everyone more simply, there are 'directions' that you select for the arpeggiator. Up, Down, Up/Down, Rnd (Round) and Echo. I was looking for some kind of 'repeat' direction setting to it would continuously repeat a single note and arpeggiate it, rather than hit the same key a million times to get an arpeggiated note Razz
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that one is easy!!!!

Set the ArpRange to the first zone (a little up), hit a key and press [Shift+Arp], LED starts to blink. Now you are in 'Hold' mode.

Simplicity is always the mode to ask a question Very Happy

Quote:
... Rnd (Round) ...
Uhh... Rnd stands for Random: triggering notes in no particular order.

Wout
thared33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me make this last post just to clarify because I'm still confused.

I've attached a file to show you what I'm talking about. I want to simply arpeggiate a single note out just like you're repeating the same note on a guitar.

I just need a Yes, or No answer as to whether or not the NL2's arpeggiator is capable of doing this alone. If I need a sequencer to then it's fine, I just want to be clear.

arpexample.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  arpexample.mp3
 Filesize:  236.88 KB
 Downloaded:  427 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the Nordlead is capable of doing this Smile
Even in two ways!
Here are the wav files and the SysEx file to load in the synth.

The first one is using LFO1 (Saw wave form), Notice the rhythm goes on in the Release.
The second one is using the Arpeggiator controlling the the Amp and Filter Envelopes.

Wout

Example_Rhythm_01{LFO1+Filter).wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Example_Rhythm_01{LFO1+Filter).wav
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Downloaded:  960 Time(s)

Example_Rhythm_01_(LFO1+_Filter).syx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Example_Rhythm_01_(LFO1+_Filter).syx
 Filesize:  139 Bytes