electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
arduino-like dev. environment for ARM
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
slabman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: arduino-like dev. environment for ARM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick FYI -

Quote:
It has an Arduino feel with functions like DigitalIn and AnalogOut, but f.i. SPI, I2C and a complete file system are available too. Libraries for Ethernet and USB are under construction, mbed is still in the beta stage.

More here -

http://www.elektor.com/news/mbed-sense-simplicity.1040956.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Hopefully this is the start of a trend towards a pervasive Arduino-ness
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty powerful little chip.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Certainly the good thing about this is your development tools do not need to be installed onto the machine you doing the design on. No dealing with setups, patches, questions like "do I have the latest design environment?". Another plus, the ARM architecture is incredibly powerful !! I think this sort of the thing where the development tools are server, or vender, side rather than on a local computer may become more and more prevalent as the months go by. The downside may be that if there is a large user load, just how fast will things happen? We shall see.

Thanks for the post ....
Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
do I have the latest design environment?"

Don't know Bill, for me the question often not is whether I have the latest one but whether I have the working one ... but maybe they'll support version selection for the dev. environment Rolling Eyes

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Don't know Bill, for me the question often not is whether I have the latest one but whether I have the working one

I agree there Jan. I was trying to be optomistic and equate latest with working. In retrospect though, "do I have a working development system?" may be a better question Wink To many times you see features that are advertised but simply are too quirky to be useful.

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
To many times you see features that are advertised but simply are too quirky to be useful.

Yeah .. or it got "improved" in new version Wink

Microchip, for instance, seems to be able to break something with every new release of their development env. ... a good web based system would have version selection I'd hope .. such that source code wouldnt break with a new release of the environment.

Anyway, for something on my own computer I can archive the releases at least and hope to able to reinstall them when a problem arises ... for a web based version though ... scary stuff Shocked Laughing

But then again ... usually it is not trivial to set up for a new processor family, a web interface would improve on that for sure.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: