electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Simple 2 Chip Drum Machine
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Could you maybe use this: http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC74VHC1G14-D.PDF

Yes, that should work. However, it looks like it is only in an SMD package. Also, it has a lower max voltage, so you need to be aware of that when designing your circuit.

Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone made this into a PCB and has cases for it too. I feel like a grandfather Very Happy

More info: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-174599.html

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool
gasboss775

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like the bass drum sound but still a bit unclear on its mechanics. 3.8H is a big inductor!
I'm thinking that the 3.8H inductor and 82n capacitor form a series tuned circuit, which in conjunction with the 4069 wired as an inverting amplifier, you get a tuned band pass filter with a centre frequency of:

Fc = 1/(2*pi*sqrt (L*C))

Fc = 1/(2×3.14×sqrt (3.8 × 82 × 10^(-9)))

Fc = 285 Hz approx which seems a wee bit high for a bass drum but the inductor probably has a huge tolerance so the figure could be at either side of this.

Now, I have a 500mH inductor which I believe are still made as spares for wah wah pedals.

Now to get the same Fo = 285 Hz, we need to rearrange the formula;

C = 1/ (2*pi*Fo)^2×L

C = 623.7 n , so probably use a 680n, though might be better with an even bigger cap for lower Fo, will try a 680n then maybe a 1u cap instead.
IGR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are near right, but.. Original LC has damping factor approx. 0.00734 and bandwith of 4,2 Hz. Yours will have damping factor 0.05 /bw 31,83 Hz. It will not so readilly oscillate as you need.
IGR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just thought try small power transformer primary, this should be about 5H.
Check Roland TR 77 schematic too, there is 16H inductance in BD tank, of course LC circuit in parallel. Good luck.
gasboss775

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IGR I did wonder about this, though I was thinking in terms of Q ( resonance ) only because I am more familiar with that concept.

The mains transformer primary might be worth a try, thanks for the suggestion.
IGR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just breadborded this circuit- primary 3W mains transformer in parallel with 1uF cap, excited by piezo pickup. I got simple passive stompbox, much better then all those cigarbox with piezo. It must be followed by high impedance preamp, otherwise nice boom disappears.
gasboss775

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to experiment with this over the weekend, I like the idea of using inductors in music circuits, they are quite unique and quirky.

Craig Anderton made a passive filter using one half of a transformer a bank of capacitors selected by a rotary switch and a pot to vary the resonance.

The CR78 drum machine had a few inductor based percussion voices and I think a lot of these early beat boxes used LC circuits in their percussion voices.
IGR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, inductors are piece of magic, partly unpredictable, hard exactly reproductible due core alchemy.
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am glad to see that people are still playing with this idea.

I used those huge conductors only because I had them. I had just taken apart an old EQ that was filled with them. They are big things about 1" in diameter.

You should be able to replace the LC parts with RC instead and get the same sound.

blakeAlbion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very interested in this topic. Where does one buy inductors similar to those in pre-1980 drum machines?
blakeAlbion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh I see some things here. https://www.electronicsurplus.com/search/inductor
blakeAlbion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh... but some of these inductors are like 4H, 7H, 15H. Yow. I guess I could build the circuit and then wind me an inductor with some wire and keep wrapping until it sounds good.
Steveg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi blakeAlbion,
Remember that two inductors in series add their inductances together.
FYI here are some photos of the inductors in Mosc's Moog 914 filter bank: https://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=filter+bank+moog&t=14857
Maybe you could talk to analogmonster about how he winds inductors:
https://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=filter+bank+moog&t=58576
http://www.analog-monster.de/mmt914_en.html
You can get off the shelf inductors form places like Element 14 in values up to a at least 10H: https://au.element14.com/c/passive-components/inductors/fixed-value-inductors
blakeAlbion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I saw Mouser has a number of larger inductors, but wow they are big and heavy and high-current. I’m putting this project off for a bit, but I have this Hammond Rhythm box with the rhythm logic, but the voice box is missing. Sigh. So I will circle around to this topic sometime this winter. I will try my hand at transistor-based analog drums.
Steveg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jurgen Haible made a version of the 914 using simulated inductors instead of iron and wire but he used a complex circuit. A simpler gyrator design can be found here: https://sound-au.com/articles/gyrator-filters.htm
The Moog filter uses inductors to ground so gyrators should work perfectly.
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think you need to use inductors. I was just playing around with them because I had some I took out of an old EQ. They are being used as low pass filters, so you can just use a resistor and capacitor instead.
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: