electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
amdek/boss HC-2 clap - layout?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
strategy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: amdek/boss HC-2 clap - layout? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have seen the schematic for this on electro-music and in other locations on the net, but not pcb layouts. I'm not skilled in doing layouts, has anyone done one...? If so can you share? thanks in advance.
strategy

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: amdek/boss HC-2 clap - layout? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

strategy wrote:
I have seen the schematic for this on electro-music and in other locations on the net, but not pcb layouts. I'm not skilled in doing layouts, has anyone done one...? If so you share? thanks in advance.
strategy

The Boss/Amdek HC is not that great, I wouldn't recommend building one. It's just not as full sounding as the classic Roland clap sound, it's also very high pitched. You should build the clap from the Boss Dr110 or 808. There's definitely layouts around for the 808 clap, some of them here in this forum, but the ones I've seen need extra circuitry to work as a stand alone.

I have the Boss HC, I could probably scan the PCB at some point
strategy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: amdek/boss HC-2 clap - layout? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[There's definitely layouts around for the 808 clap, some of them here in this forum, but the ones I've seen need extra circuitry to work as a stand alone.

I have the Boss HC, I could probably scan the PCB at some point[/quote]

I've downloaded several, it would appear they don't include the necessary noise section. I have access to a PCB that includes several 808 modules (maybe it is the older Microlarge project? not sure) but was wondering whether there was a standalone option...

will keep checking around...

Strategy

Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The HC2 is pretty much the same as all the other Roland claps. Sound differences are probably to do with single supply problems and different component values. The schematic out there does include noise , it uses a CD4006 shift register. The schematic that is full of errors so reverse engineering or just using one from the drum machines should be easier. Take note it uses the ba662 so you will need to substitute it with a 6110 or 13700
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You may find these useful - the Electroharmonix Claptrack

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/zero_thehero/schematics/claptrack1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/zero_thehero/schematics/claptrack2.jpg

and here for EH drum controllers

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10460&p=133527&hilit=juliadee

You may need to register with that site first
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I was referring to by "missing" circuitry from the 808 drum layouts is the sort of trigger conditioning components necessary to make them work outside of the application they were designed for. I had assembled a few indivdual 808 drums, but I couldn't get them to trigger with any kind of normal gate/trigger. Other people were reporting the same thing. They need a specific kind of pulse-- maybe 1ms, and they also need an accent voltage. There's alot written about under the related topics. I was too fancy free to bother with figuring it out at the time...
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, i got inspired to start messing around with my HC2 again. i had previously performed the modifications recommended in this E&MM article-- which definitely helped. But I felt like there's still something wrong with this clap sound. Anyway, i disconnected one of the resistors, R7, that I had earlier changed. I think it's part of the pulse repetition timing. Whatever it was, when I disconnected it, it took out the high pitched clickety-clak sound that was bothering me. Now it sounds like a thick 'clud' clap. I can still hear the multiple triggering sound, but it's darker now; sounds the way it should now-- really great.

I put it through a band pass, and sharp digital delay. It sounds just like a Martin Hannett production.

I don't know if maybe there was something wrong with my HC2 to begin with, because as long as I've had it, the two tone controls, 'Dry' and 'Hall' do extremely close to nothing. I can hardly believe they'd put it on the shelf like that.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
'Dry' and 'Hall' do extremely close to nothing.

I was about to post something moderately interesting about the trimpot in the HC-2. I remembered I had dealt with it to reduce the level, thus letting more 'hall' through in comparison. Before posting I wanted to check it and the trim changed nothing but the level - no 'hall' at all… mmm… then I changed the battery (7.18V) for a newer one (8 something) and hooray, 'hall' ! And the trimpot acts as expected at first. With a wallwart (well over 9V i fear) I could get lots of that 'hall' thing. Conclusion : voltage matters. Still moderately interesting, but perhaps a bit more.
Oh and the 'dry' pot has a noticeable if not radical effect on my unit…

strategy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does that E&MM article include a PnP layout of some sort?

ericcoleridge wrote:
So, i got inspired to start messing around with my HC2 again. i had previously performed the modifications recommended in this E&MM article-- which definitely helped. But I felt like there's still something wrong with this clap sound. Anyway, i disconnected one of the resistors, R7, that I had earlier changed. I think it's part of the pulse repetition timing. Whatever it was, when I disconnected it, it took out the high pitched clickety-clak sound that was bothering me. Now it sounds like a thick 'clud' clap. I can still hear the multiple triggering sound, but it's darker now; sounds the way it should now-- really great.

I put it through a band pass, and sharp digital delay. It sounds just like a Martin Hannett production.

I don't know if maybe there was something wrong with my HC2 to begin with, because as long as I've had it, the two tone controls, 'Dry' and 'Hall' do extremely close to nothing. I can hardly believe they'd put it on the shelf like that.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
Quote:
'Dry' and 'Hall' do extremely close to nothing.

DRY is too small. Try 1M. It controls the Q of that bandpass filter. A mod to try would be to make the resistor to ground (can't read what the schematic says,) at that op amp's input variable for the filter's center freq.

Another thing to try is to make HALL a pot that balances between the two audio paths.

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm into trying these mods out, I'll report what I find. I'm starting to really like this clap-- it's starting to do what I had always intended it to. But, it could be even more useful with a little bit more control. I don't need or want too much control on a 'drum', but a little variation would be good.

richardc64 wrote:
umschmitt wrote:

DRY is too small. Try 1M. It controls the Q of that bandpass filter.

I did already get some variation on the Dry control by implementing the mods discussed in the attached article. I'll definitely give the 1M a try though, as it could still use more range. I'll report back.

Any other thoughts of the Hall control? Although i can see the usefulness in having a balance control-- I think what the Hall control was intended to do would be most useful here. I think it was effectively like a decay control-- but it doesn't add to, or attentuate the decay on mine at all.

richardc64 wrote:

A mod to try would be to make the resistor to ground (can't read what the schematic says,) at that op amp's input variable for the filter's center freq.

You're referring to R40-- 100K to ground--on leg 5 of IC3?
Here's an extra large image of the schematic, if you please.

richardc64 wrote:

Another thing to try is to make HALL a pot that balances between the two audio paths.

The two sources being a pulse cluster and filtered noise?
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:

richardc64 wrote:

A mod to try would be to make the resistor to ground (can't read what the schematic says,) at that op amp's input variable for the filter's center freq.

You're referring to R40-- 100K to ground--on leg 5 of IC3?

No, R57 at the 2 caps around 1/2 IC7, the noise filter. A 100k pot in parallel with that resistor could raise the filter freq. Replacing R57 with 1k in series with a 50k pot could raise or lower the filter freq.

Quote:
Here's an extra large image of the schematic, if you please.

Oh my! That's real easy for these ol' eyeballs! Thanks!

Quote:
richardc64 wrote:

The two sources being a pulse cluster and filtered noise?

Um, they're both filtered noise. The "bottom" path is the cluster; the top is delayed (I think,) and is slightly low pass filtered by C22 so that it sounds a little muffled compared to the cluster.

I think HALL is supposed to control how prominent the fake echo is. You could try decreasing R31 or increasing R48 to give IC3 more gain.

I attach 3 samples of that filter, with slightly different values, acting on white noise. While only one sounds close to a hand clap -- without cluster or "echo" -- they should provide some idea what that filter can do. Input was ONLY noise.

bpf_decay_1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bpf_decay_1.mp3
 Filesize:  55.1 KB
 Downloaded:  1084 Time(s)

bpf_decay_2.mp3
 Description:
Almost a Hand Clap

Download
 Filename:  bpf_decay_2.mp3
 Filesize:  24.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1011 Time(s)

closed_hh2.mp3
 Description:
almost a Hi-Hat

Download
 Filename:  closed_hh2.mp3
 Filesize:  31.84 KB
 Downloaded:  1044 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: