electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Suggestions on pitch bend for Meowsic keyboard toy?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
caryy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Suggestions on pitch bend for Meowsic keyboard toy? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the first thing I've ever tried to circuit bend (aside from some of the basic Gameboy mods for chiptuning). I've read that the pitch is usually controlled by a resistor on the circuit board; I've been playing around with replacing any resistors I can find with potentiometers, one by one, but haven't succeeded in anything that affects the pitch. I've been able to affect the volume (negatively), but that's about all.

Here are photos of the circuitboard in question... can anyone point me in a direction for what I might want to try next? Any pointers would definitely be helpful!
http://imgur.com/a/iJlGX

Thanks!
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the number that is printed on the ic? I think it will help if you know that so you can figure out how the sound is being made.
Bogus Noise

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argh, I've been wanting to try bending one of these just because of the looks, but doesn't seem like it'll be that interesting a target Sad

The clock will be provided by the orangey-brown component in the middle to the left of the three caps - this is a ceramic resonator. Unfortunately you can't adjust the frequency of these, so it would need to be replaced with a new oscillator. Sometimes you can do it with a 4011, but there's an upper limit to their frequency range, and usually it's lower than the original's clock, meaning you would only be able to pitch it from slow to super slow.

The answer will be to use an LTC1799, which is a precision oscillator and can go to 30Mhz - I've used these a fair few times now and it's guaranteed to be able to pitch this toy. It's an SMD chip but http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/ and http://www.getlofi.com/ both sell them premounted on DIL boards.

www.bogus-noise.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/BogusNoise
YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have one keyboard I could not affect the pitch as well. I made some distortion bents though... haven't finished that one yet...
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: