electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Nord Modular Editor on OS X using wine
Page 6 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
blueNan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Success El Capitan (10.11.6) + Wine 1.8.3 + editor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nord Modular editor + Macbook Core 2 Duo 2,53gHz + El Capitan working here...

It took me a lot of time to find a solid combination, so i want to share it - maybe it can help someone else.

I tried two different midi interfaces (Midisport 2x2 and ESI MidiMate EX), Windows 7 and Windows XP under Parallels, Wine in different versions: HQ 3.0, Wine 2.01, and the one which comes with Winebottler, which is Wine 1.8.3.

I also tried running the editor w administrator privileges in the different systems, legacy w95/w98/xp compatibility modes, etc... The results were variate, but in all cases inestable under Paallels (rebooting windows, etc)... Wine versions were even worse.

*** BUT ****
Ultimately - and surprisingly - I found a combination that seems to work on Wine (+ ESI Midimate EX, although i suspect it will work too for the Midisport 2x2). This was it:

- Download and install brew, Quark etc. as recommended by the OP.
- Download Winebottler.
- Install in the app folder the Wine version (1.8.3) that came with the Winebottler.
- Apply the patch of the OP on terminal (i don't know if it was necessary but i did it).
- Open Wine 1.8.3 - you will see a cup of wine icon on the task bar.
- Click that icon, it opens the Wine menu, go to Configuration
- Open the tab "Applications"
- Add the Nord Modular Editor v3.03 application, and select it to run in Windows 98 emulation mode. Close the Wine configuration.
- Execute the Nord Modular Editor through Wine: again Wine menu --> File Manager --> find the editor > double click to execute.

Since i did this the editor has been working well without losing the connection while browsing patches, altering them etc, so it looks pretty good (specially compared with the former tries...).

Having a Micromodular AND a Modular G1, i want to create patches on the Micro when i travel, and dump them to the Modular when i am in my studio - hence the old Windows laptop solution was not attractive at all for me... i am happy now that i can use my mac to do all the process.
Bambrose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also :
http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1/
Manfred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:  Manfred
Subject description: Manfred
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, you are reading a message wrote by Manfred.
I'm trying to install this editor through the instructions on this page https://gist.github.com/arirusso/a08fe73538c7843e80ea
Did everything until step 3, but now I have to:

edit /Applications/Nord\ Modular/nm

Contents of script:

#!/bin/sh
wine /Applications/Nord\ Modular/Nord\ Modular\ Editor\ v3.03.exe
Then run this line to make the script executable:

chmod +x /Applications/Nord\ Modular/nm

I'm not familiar with this type of stuff at all, and I'm rather clueless here. Can anyone tell me what I should do, like, in detail? Would be so extremely helpful! Thanks + greetz
Manfred
Bambrose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1/ thats all you need. its free and it works
Manfred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me... I can download it, install it, but if I open the application nothing happens, I don't get the editor to open.
Bambrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manfred wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me... I can download it, install it, but if I open the application nothing happens, I don't get the editor to open.

Oh I see,
well unfortunately it's just a well conceived wine port... so if that doesn't work, I suspect your wine install isn't for the same reasons. Which OS are you on ?
Manfred

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it!
My wine install actually did work, I'm just clueless about what I have to do next, I just don't understand the instructions. I'm on High Sierra (10.13.6).
Bambrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manfred wrote:
Thank you for the reply, appreciate it!
My wine install actually did work, I'm just clueless about what I have to do next, I just don't understand the instructions. I'm on High Sierra (10.13.6).

if the wine install worked, the stage engine should (as it is a wine install)
Don't know if anyone else has got it working on an OSX that recent.
It may be worth trying to email the stage engine chaps. They're friendly in my experience
Manfred

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will try that! I have an older macbook which does run the application, but it loses connection with my Nord all the time despite trying multiple of the suggested midi interfaces. Would just be nice to be able to edit on my main computer, but that is no sinecure it turns out. Thank you very much for your help!
Bambrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manfred wrote:
I will try that! I have an older macbook which does run the application, but it loses connection with my Nord all the time despite trying multiple of the suggested midi interfaces. Would just be nice to be able to edit on my main computer, but that is no sinecure it turns out. Thank you very much for your help!

fwiw, the stage engine works extremely well on my 10.10 mac
I do get very occasional dropouts /lose connections but only every few hours and with several of the patches running usually.

Keep updating the forum if you can.. a working version on a later OSX than mine would inform my decision on whether to upgrade or not,
good luck !
Manfred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You were absolutely right, those people are very friendly indeed, and they managed to help me out. I got the editor working now, with solid connection so far, really happy about this! Thank you for your help!
Bambrose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manfred wrote:
You were absolutely right, those people are very friendly indeed, and they managed to help me out. I got the editor working now, with solid connection so far, really happy about this! Thank you for your help!

That's excellent news ! really glad to hear you're up and running

Bill
marduk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manfred wrote:

Sooo.. maybe care to share the instructions for future reference / everyones benefit? Rolling Eyes
Thanks.
BlisargonDemogorgon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

marduk wrote:
Manfred wrote:

Sooo.. maybe care to share the instructions for future reference / everyones benefit? Rolling Eyes
Thanks.

Yes i would love to hear how you fixed it as i have the same problem also.
When i go trough wine and browse for the application all works fine but when i try to launch the Nord Modular application from the applications folder nothing happens and it stays in the dock until i force quit it.

Any info regarding this would be appreciated

Thanks

Quint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

My editor runs great. One thing: Does any of you know how to use the knob floater? I can't get them to work. Any tips?

Thanks!
Page 6 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: