electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
FS custom 3D printed parts (knobs)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: FS custom 3D printed parts (knobs) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

In the past 10 months I have become a 3D printing enthusiast and now have a 3D printer. I'd like to offer the service of making prints for you, beginning with something really small and specific: knobs!

Please respond to this thread for details.

Les
rutgerv

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

Cool idea. I've always been wondering how accurate 3D printing can be, and what the quality of the material is. For knobs you'd like them to fit tight, have a bit of grip (soft touch even better) and are smooth otherwise. Can that be achieved?

I'm specifically interesting in something I once saw on the MiniKorg 700. It has a high and lowpass filter with caps that connect together halfway the travel-distance. That means the highpass filter can never cutoff above the low-pass (always sound) and you can move them as one slider too (band pass). Very cool, and I'l like to find or make fader caps like that for a future cross-over filter in Eurorack.

Rutger
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Rutger, just saw this, sorry for delay in posting. I'm rather busy right now but I can always make room for electro-music projects!

I can print in PLA and various exotics including glow in the dark, conductive (not very), metal powder infused filaments called bronzeFill, copperFill, also magnetic iron and steel and i think brass, also wood and stone feeling materials. Then there are the flexible materials - I need to print a new extruder that I have the kit for somewhere to do that on my current printer.

It's best to print with nonflex materials though because I don't know when I will get around to upgrading the print head with the kit.

As far as the design, it sounds quite do-able. Please note that not all shapes can be printed. You have to live within the printer's limitations, the primary one being that everything must be supported. You see, a printer prints from the print bed up and if you have overhangs or unsupported parts of your design, the filament will just ooze onto the print bed with no supports.

Realizing this limitation, people have come up with all sorts of techniques and hardware to solve the problem, so there are solutions that I won't go into here but usually you can design things to work around this limitation.

There are other limits tho that is the main one. Now, having said that, can you sketch out your knob design? Bear in mind that with 3D printing, complexity to within the capability of the printer is almost free. This means that if you can design it, you can have dragon's head knobs or snakes or Jesus knobs - I mean whatever man be creative!

Please post your designs here and I'll have a go at drawing them up in CAD form. Oh, and whatever you're going to attach the knob to, I'll need one of those to measure and test fit a series of knobs until I get it just so exactly right that it'll work good and last a long time (hopefully).

As for payment, no charge. I'll keep one of each type of potentiometer you send as payment too, unless you need it back then I can send it back with the knobs. If you get into dozens or hundreds of knobs, I'll recommend a printing service for you to get the job done.

Post here, I'll check more often for responses.

Les
rutgerv

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Great to hear about this! At the moment I'm finishing up a series of Eurorack designs that do not include these sliders. It will take a while before I get around to finishing the design where I need the special slider caps, but I'll contact you again when I'm there. Sounds like a very cool thing to explore together, and of course I can send you a slider to fit the cap to in that case as an example.

Best,

Rutger
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool man, just let me know when.

Les
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: