electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
What happened to magic smoke electronics
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wandrson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: What happened to magic smoke electronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I placed an order for 20 tempo resistors from them in December and paid with PayPal. Have not received the resistors and they have not responded to a single email.
LFLab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the stories, that shop suffers from a lack of focus. People do tend to get their stuff, but it takes a longgggg time.
Wandrson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: What happened to magic smoke electronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well after ten weeks with zero response to dozens of emails, I escalated a dispute with paypal. Now a week later without any response I have escalared again to a claim.

It seems this company is set up to scam people.
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to magic smoke electronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wandrson wrote:
Well after ten weeks with zero response to dozens of emails, I escalated a dispute with paypal. Now a week later without any response I have escalared again to a claim.

It seems this company is set up to scam people.

The latter is certainly not the case. Deliveries can be very slow, but Tim never failed to send the goods to me, and I heard the same from many others as well. Once I even got more tempcos than the number I ordered - prices had gone down, so he sent more than twice as many (and asked if I would prefer a refund instead).

Anyway, single-person businesses can easily become stressful and overloaded. Maybe a solution would be to declare on the website that deliveries can take several months? Then, no one would be surprised in a negative way. Sorry about your frustration, Wandrson!
Wandrson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to magic smoke electronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donpachi wrote:

The latter is certainly not the case. Deliveries can be very slow, but Tim never failed to send the goods to me, and I heard the same from many others as well. Once I even got more tempcos than the number I ordered - prices had gone down, so he sent more than twice as many (and asked if I would prefer a refund instead).

Anyway, single-person businesses can easily become stressful and overloaded. Maybe a solution would be to declare on the website that deliveries can take several months? Then, no one would be surprised in a negative way. Sorry about your frustration, Wandrson!

I disagree, he may ship to some people, but no matter how busy you are anyone could find the time within 11 weeks to respond to an email. If they can't they shouldn't be taking people's money.

The problem with the notice you talk about is that it leaves no recourse for the people to recover their money when the products never get shipped.

Ray of music from outer space provides a good example of how to handle the situation for when they are unable to fill orders in a timely fashion.
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I placed an email request with magic smoke yesterday. I asked for estimated delivery time. Tim sent a timley response back letting me know that the Mankato filter boards were out of stock and would be at least a month. He agreed to email me when they come in so I can place my order then.

He also included a link to a company who may have one to sell

Looks like business practices may be improving over at magic smoke.
The Peasant

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So sad to see that this is still happening. Lots and lots of issues were reported last year, then supposedly this was all fixed, but apparently not. Buyer beware!

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-55075.html

Take care,
Doug

www.electronicpeasant.com
colorbars

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Placed an order for Tempcos and a Mankato pcb on January 9, got an email February 28 with an apology that my payment was missed and my order will ship on the following Monday.... It's now May and I have not received my order or anymore emails Crying or Very sad
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it's months later, no Mankato board. And it appears that if you want a hard copy of a THomas Henry book the publishing company is just as good at taking money and never delivering or responding.
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For what it's worth, I bought them from Lulu. I bought PDFs, but IIRC they also have hardcopies.
xbstoller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Magic Smoke Delays
Subject description: Magic Smoke Delays
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered (4) PCBs from Magic Smoke and it was a extremely protracted and frustrating experience. Evil or Very Mad I did eventually get my PCBS (and a mistake was made where I was then sent the "correct" PCBs ordered in reasonable time) but all said I would have preferred just not to have done the transaction. I don't know what the story is but I can't imagine them so swamped that a few hours a week would keep them up on their advertised business Rolling Eyes ..( I hate to 2nd guess the situation and I might be totally off base)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: