electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
is it me or do KORG suck?
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

KORG user interfaces suck
yes
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
no
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: is it me or do KORG suck? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've always found their user interfaces way more complicated than necessary. in particular i am talking about their digital synths.

the Korg prophecy was sooooo fiddly to programme, and comparing the ease at which you could programme a JV 1080 with a Wavestation... well... i've not used any of those synths in years. it just bugs me that it takes a look in the manual to change an osc from a sine to a triangle.

BAH!!!! bad day.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad day - sounds right.

I have never been attracted to use a Korg synth myself, but the Kaos Pad looks very attractive. There are good musicians that own Korgs and use them quite effectively. I find all of the digital synths, except for the NMs, difficult to program. This goes back to the Yamaha DX7 days.

To me, the word "sucks" lacks specificity. I once heard someone say Steinway pianos suck. When I asked him to be more specific, he said that compared to the Bosendorfer, the high end was very thin. With that restatement, it was possible to have a discussion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been both a Korg (Wavestation A/D, Wavestation SR, M3R,KPR77) and a Roland synth user (JV2080,JV1010,XV2080,D110,DR550) and I have to say that Korg's UI is not worse than Roland. is it me Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of Korg's UI suck, like that of the prophecy, but some are a bit usable, like that of the Karma. They are not worse than some Roland (JV 1080) and better than that of some Yamaha (Motif 7). The very best UI i have used is that of an Ensoniq ASR 10 (and the preceding Eps range).

Now i guess this is something personal, what is your first encounter with a UI and how much you get attached to that.

Most synth UI's suck one way or the other and that's not only a Korg problem.

Conclusion, i voted no.....

Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Bad day - sounds right.

I have never been attracted to use a Korg synth myself, but the Kaos Pad looks very attractive. There are good musicians that own Korgs and use them quite effectively. I find all of the digital synths, except for the NMs, difficult to program. This goes back to the Yamaha DX7 days.

To me, the word "sucks" lacks specificity. I once heard someone say Steinway pianos suck. When I asked him to be more specific, he said that compared to the Bosendorfer, the high end was very thin. With that restatement, it was possible to have a discussion.

i'm hurt. you clearly didn't even read my post! Smile

well, i'm talking user interface, and you're not too far wrong with your "bad day" comment.

my culprit today is the MICROKORG. now, we're undergoing a heatwave in the UK (don't laugh), so that might be why i'm so irate. however, i reckon that analogue emulating subtractive synths should be a piece of piss to programme. it should be really, really easy. i've messed around with many low end synths. the ui for things like waldorf pulse, or the 3x oscillators bunged in fruityloops, or the yamaha cs1x, the Roland MC 505 or 303, whichever the cheap one is, are all ridiculously easy to use and they're cheap.

why can't korg manage it? why should i have to look in the manual to find which combination of unmarked keys i need to press simultaneously to access the envelope parameters? and why 3 of them? that's just lazy lazy lazy product design.

i nearly threw it across the room, and if the owner hadn't been stood next to me i probably would have. it's a joke that there are far more complex synths that are easier to programme.

cheap and cheerful? korg simply don't do that imho. the only korg synth that i have used and was easy to programme was the trinity.
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry. rant over. Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I simply hate all those calculator pad interfaced synths. The sounds might be OK, but that kind of UI is something I find completely stupid.

But isn´t that MS2000 thingie pretty OK?

Apart from the Korg Legacy collection, the only modern Korg thing I own is the DW8000. Great sounds. Nasty interface.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
now, we're undergoing a heatwave in the UK (don't laugh)

Hey Stanley,

Personally I'd rather boil my head than sit through this heat! It's definately the heat mate. It's unreal up here in Birmingham. The weekend didn't drop lower than 32 degrees C. Today it's touching on 29 degrees. All in all, it's the effing heat- pant. Go take a cold shower don't do anything for a while (or buy 2 or 3 fans and hire an airconditioning system- to help cool off)

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
now, we're undergoing a heatwave in the UK (don't laugh), so that might be why i'm so irate.

do you see this picture? I live where there is that "34" Shocked what should I say Question

hot like ....jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.32 KB
 Viewed:  15266 Time(s)

hot like ....jpg

Quote:
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the MS2000R. It was my first synth, and bought it because it was easy to navigate as well let's face it-it sounds great too. I dunno, maybe it is the heat...
Right on Howard! I've been courting the Kaoss Pad for sometime. Since EM05, I feel like I have to have one.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
maybe it is the heat...

Shocked are you saying Tennessee is located in the southern hemisphere Question is it cold out there Question Shocked

Quote:
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first drum machine was a Korg DDD-1 which I still have, I still like it.
Now I have lets see , a korg Electribe RmkII love that thing so simple.
I have a Korg MSR2000 which I often have to refer to the manual. I see no problem with this at all. Its all relative and subjective. You see I have so many pieces of gear its hard to remember each ones specific functions all the time especially if you dont use it everyday. As for the microKorg, I'm sorry your having a hard time with it. Lovely piece of gear. But yes...
Quote:
I simply hate all those calculator pad interfaced synths.

I agree it makes things difficuly though obviously will increase costs to do otherwise in most cases. Just try to take a break and come back to what you want to do stanley, sometimes that can help Enjoy your synths , no need to throw them. Smile
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And whats this Celcius stuff? I never heard of it....

Shocked

Just Kidding... Cool
Be cool
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

everytime i try to get out, they just go and pull me back in again.

borrow a kaoss pad if you can find anyone who will own up to possessing one. novelty wears off in about 37 seconds and then you're left with a sense of inadequacy and irritation that the quality of the signal is so poor...

ooo... i've got it in for korg today. i'm gonna shut up and go to bed. maybe it will seem better in the morning.

re:34 degrees... that's hotter than england. but Oprah Winfrey is hotter than england.
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seraph- No, Tennessee is fairly moderate. I'm located in the North Eastern area, right in the mountains. It's currently 76 degrees fahrenheit, the sun is starting to set.
Thanks for the input on the Kaoss Pad. I am just looking for something different,maybe I can borrow yours?

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmmmmm, my Korg using friends praise the brand for making all "preset" slots user overwritable, compared to Roland and Yamaha who force you to live with their ideas of how you should use their synths. Yamaha and Roland user interfases (analogue roland effects excepted) suck too, worse, IMHO. Roland can´t even write a manual. Yamaha´s one claim to fame is enabeling feedback in FM. I suppose those companies know their market and know hardly anybody actually programs his own sounds.

As for the older stuff; the ms series has a certain charm in it´s simplicity but I never got why people liked that filter so much. It´s a mass produced, mid level, consumer aimed company, much like Roland and Yamaha. It lacks the quality of the real pro stuff and it it´s not as cheap as the budget stuff but in that segment I think I prefer it somewhat over the competition. I wouldn´t buy it unless it were realy cheap second hand though. I´ve been thinking that a chaos pad would perhaps be a nice midi interface but you could build your own of that; touch sensitive plates are readily available. Probably the most interesting Korg thing is the ms20 pitch follower but pitch followers are a dime a dozen these days. The Karma looked like a good idea for a change, then it turned out you could hardly touch those algorithems and instead it had marketing. It´s all quite boring in that market segment, they never seem to be able to get over the "wavetable, some modulation, LP filter, slap on a plastic keyboard" syndrome. Now with one million voices, a step sequencer and a free arpegiator if you react now. Whoopty doo.

But, erm, asuming I have to go to Spain tomorow, do you think I need the leather jacket?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
But, erm, asuming I have to go to Spain tomorow, do you think I need the leather jacket?

I just spoke with a friend of mine in Barcelona. It is 23 C there right now.. 2.15 AM.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
As for the older stuff; the ms series has a certain charm in it´s simplicity but I never got why people liked that filter so much.

Well, the filters are OK and sounded a bit more exciting than the Roland SH series from the same period. Of the cheap stuff I really like the Octave Instruments CAT2 filter far better. That one had the right attitude.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, and the poly800 has a excelent punch/size ratio.

It´s not all bad, I just feel like complaining about the whole industry instead of getting the sleep i should get.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

do you see this picture? I live where there is that "34" :shock: what should I say :?:

I knew there would be a bit of a macho reply from someone, somewhere- "Oh yeah I live southside on the hills of outer bongolia and it's a boilling point here so what r u wimps on about?!?" etc....

Apparently its hotter here than spain right now. But a lot of people forget that the heat we get here usually comes with high humidity. so it just feels like a sweat bath all of the time, and our fair skin just can't cope!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is hotter than england.

Wow man! the heat really IS getting to you!

Oprah Winfrey?!? Shocked I could think of a lot hotter people than Oprah Winfrey! You may as well go on to say that Cliff Richard is hot too! Laughing

On this occation I have to turn the emoticons back on!

orczy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mixed emotions from me here. The first synth Iever touched or played was a Korg MS-20, so my opinion on analog synths is based on that first twiddle. My first and only digital synth was a Korg Wavestation. As I was used to Sequential analog stuff, I was always going to find it a bit awkward, but I came around to it. The lack of resonant filter was more an issue. So, sorry Stanley, I cannae agree with you, but to be fair, my opinion is a bit off. IT has been 7 years since I played a synth (the Korg).
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

orczy wrote:
IT has been 7 years since I played a synth (the Korg).

Shocked come on, what is life without a synth Question Wink

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
outer bongolia!

I 'll let you know when here in outer bongolia the temperature will get to 40 degrees Celsius (my skin is fair too) Twisted Evil

Quote:
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Stanley Pain wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is hotter than england.

Wow man! the heat really IS getting to you!

Oprah Winfrey?!? Shocked I could think of a lot hotter people than Oprah Winfrey! You may as well go on to say that Cliff Richard is hot too! Laughing

On this occation I have to turn the emoticons back on!

hmmm... i think the point was that Oprah isn't hot at all. much like england. seeing england this hot is a bit like seeing Oprah break out the leather mini-skirt and fish net suspenders and faux leopard skin bikini top. unexpected and unpleasant.

Smile
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: