electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Audio Gating of G2 Output
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pianoireland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:  Audio Gating of G2 Output
Subject description: Triggering the output of the G2 with a microphone.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one has me baffled.

What I hope to achieve is simple, but I cannot get any of the modules to work correctly for me.

I want to insert a small and simple addition to many of my live patches, so I can get them to sound occasionally, when I sing a note, as a gate source.

I might be playing away on my main keyboard, whose midi out is patched to the Midi in of the G2. I want the G2 patch selected to be muted, until such time as I sing a note into the mic plugged into the G2. This is to act as a gate or switch to either allow the midi to get to the G2 or, to allow the sound itself be output from a later stage in the G2.

Crude example: I am playing a string sound on my master keyboard, and when I sing an (unheard) note into the G2 mic, it allows a brass sound to mix in, or just switch on.

Everything I have tried so far just makes the mic act as a modulator, and more or less ring modulates the desired sound of the patch itself.

I have tried gates, logic, and level controllers; all to no avail.

Any ideas anybody? It would be such a cool and useful trick for my live gig, as long as I do not overuse it.

Thanks.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The envelope follower ("E-FOL" in the Env menu) ought to do what you want. mic -> e-fol -> AM for instance. For more switching behaviour put a gate first and send the e-fol's output to the gate input of an envelope.
pianoireland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much Antimon.
That worked a treat, although I sometimes suspect I can hear some slight cross-modulation from the vocal sound I use to trigger the envelope follower. I added a gate in the middle of the configuration, to cut down the "chatter" effect from being too close to the mic sometimes.

Configured thus:
Mic is input into a 2-In module, from the "In/Out" group. Left output patched to:

Input of Noise Gate, from the "Level" group. Output is patched to:

Input of Envelope Follower, from the "Level" group. Output is patched to:

AM of ADSR, etc...

I see no reason to expect cross-mod, but I am listening carefully in headphones.

I am working on also getting the mic to switch on and off the midi note reception from the external master keyboard, which would be a very neat solution.

An alternative could be to use the amplitude level of the mic input, to send out midi volume or expression to the G2 internal sounds. CC7 or CC11.

So far I have come up blank on the MIDI approach.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, glad you got it sorted. Smile This particular thing can be solved in a couple of different ways, depending on what you want. It's an ocean of modules in the G2, hard to find exactly what you want sometimes.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: