electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
mixing oscillators with diodes - help
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
c1rcu1t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: mixing oscillators with diodes - help
Subject description: understanding load resistor
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !

Im a newbie learning cmos circuits, I have been reading some information online and at Nicolas Collins book Handmade Electronic Music.
Im experimenting now with mixing techniques of oscillators and trying to understand what is happening in the circuits.
At the book of nicolas, when using diodes at the mixing bus, he says you should add a resistor of around 10k to ground. Can someone help me understand it? Why its used? You should always use a resistor there? I have tried to search about it, but couldnt find information about this, I have seen some people not applying it to their circuits when using diodes for mixing with 40106 and 4093 chips, but maybe because they have a general volume potentiometer on the output?

thank you! Smile

photo_2021-01-15_17-15-39.jpg
 Description:
nicolas
 Filesize:  45.84 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

photo_2021-01-15_17-15-39.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

It does depend on what you connect it to but one thing to think about is what happens to the output of the mixer
if the outputs of all the oscillators are low. Also if for example you connect it to an input that has a capacitor in series,
which might happen with an audio input, then it will just charge that capacitor which will result in the sound fading out.
And for current to flow though a diode the cathode needs to be at a lower voltage then the anode which is often done
with a resistor to ground.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

V=IR if you don't have a resistance there's no circuit - voltage measurable or current seen.
10k is a standard load to give our 40106 output transistors an easy time. If it was 10 ohms they'd be trying to push huge currents to give you a 'high'.
You know what happens when things work too hard...heat.
Frequency also comes into this, some loads are not equal across the frequency spectrum.
Your research topic is Impedance.

R
c1rcu1t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
welcome party!

It does depend on what you connect it to but one thing to think about is what happens to the output of the mixer
if the outputs of all the oscillators are low. Also if for example you connect it to an input that has a capacitor in series,
which might happen with an audio input, then it will just charge that capacitor which will result in the sound fading out.
And for current to flow though a diode the cathode needs to be at a lower voltage then the anode which is often done
with a resistor to ground.

thank you PHOBoS !! Very Happy I'm starting to understand it better! I was just going to connect two oscillators from a 4093 mixed with diodes directly to a jack output with an output attenuation, so i should keep the 10k. I have to study more about diodes too.

output_attenuation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.85 KB
 Viewed:  3214 Time(s)

output_attenuation.jpg

c1rcu1t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:
V=IR if you don't have a resistance there's no circuit - voltage measurable or current seen.
10k is a standard load to give our 40106 output transistors an easy time. If it was 10 ohms they'd be trying to push huge currents to give you a 'high'.
You know what happens when things work too hard...heat.
Frequency also comes into this, some loads are not equal across the frequency spectrum.
Your research topic is Impedance.

R

Thank you so much for your explanation and advice piedwagtail! I definitely have to study about impedance!! I will search and read more about it!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: