electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Anyone into computer music in the old days?
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
themoors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Anyone into computer music in the old days? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ive recently been thinking about an old idea i had about old computers and music. I prepose to use several connected home computers, built prior to the arrival of the amiga/atari st, to create music, possibly as part of a live performance. The sort of hardware im thinking off is the ZX spectrum ,BBC and the Commadore 64 (which is supposed to have a really good sound chip). I remember the speccy did have some sort of midi abilitys, if upgraded and it certainly produced some weird noises.
THe idea is to use old computers exculsively but i am willing to use a more up to date sequencer to control the sound generators if required.

I was wondering if any one has any direct experience in using this type of computer to create music and could suggest the best way to get started, my main problems as i see it are conectivity and what software to use and where to obtain it (the hardware isnt much of a problem as it can be bought cheaply enough).

thanks
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never got into music on those early computers, but I wish you luck. The sound ships were 8 or 12 bit. Most of the time they sound like early Nintendo machines.

I heard of a fellow around these parts that uses old SoundBlaster cards for electronic music. You can get them very cheaply. He puts several in old ISA computers. These have better synthesizers than the early C64s and such.

My gut feeling is why not spend your precious time learning a modern computer music environment. There is very good software you can get for free. If you want something with the same Earthy funk of the old gear, maybe you should look into Trackers. Mr. Emitter and others may have something to suggest in that department. http://skale.org/.

Please keep us informed as you make progress. This sounds very interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
themoors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply

Having used the Tracker programs in the early 90's i am very interested to see how they have evolved so thanks for the link.

For some reason I really love that 8-bit sound (probalby due to a mispent childhood playing computer games)and i have reached the end of the learning curve as far as logic audio is concerned and so i am looking for a new challenge.
I am also influenced by the electronic musicians of old, in that i beleive the art lies in the method as much as the end result so the fact that this is somthing of a odd way of creating music only adds to it

Again thanks for the support and i will keep you informed
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I can understand how you could dig 8 bit sound. Laughing

You might be interested in another thread going on about influences on music. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-885.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Hey, I hear ya! I wrote and performed quite a bit on my Commadore 64. I thought the chip was cool. You could get some really intriguing & classic sound out of it - which I tended to run through outboard gear just like my electric guitar.

The only group I was familiar with that performed with individual computers was The Hub. They are apparently still out there doing it at http://www.artifact.com/hub.html (Artifact apparently being another of the many arms of Ubu).

Been too long for me to know what's currently up with software, but the C64 still has a lot of followers & users so I doubt it'll be hard to find some. Besides, it's programmed in Basic, which even I could figure out, so you can probably do your own with a minimum of research.

Anyway, cool, go for it, have fun, & hopefully post some of the music here.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plus I notice new member Michael Briel has some C64 & Amiga tracks on his site worth checking out (listening to Arkanoid right now... ) http://www.brielmusik.de/mp3/. Hmmm... makes me think about digging my rig out of the closet.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
Kruge

Location: Bonn, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse etc...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smeg!

Just when I wanted to answer myself! Smile

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mezmer wrote:
makes me think about digging my rig out of the closet.

Gasp, I get the shakes just thinking about digging into my closet. Smile
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Ha! Well, then do like I do; pile data boxes full of equipment and videos, etc in front of the door, or perhaps a piano if you're squeezed for space, and then you're safe cuz the thought process is probably about as far as you'll ever go!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile Sounds like my house. Laughing Crying or Very sad
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..then you SID lovers will really enjoy this synth [vst-i]

QuadraSID 1.4 by refx

http://refx.net/pro_QuadraSID.htm?lang=eng Corrected by mosc, 12-30-03
Kruge

Location: Bonn, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse etc...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah - actially I'd suggest using that synth instead of "real" C64s...

IIRR it's using four *real* SID Chips (thus being able to do a bit more than just one C64) and of course you won't have to worry about midi software ort something, since it's fully included. Smile

Sidstation

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
..then you SID lovers will really enjoy this synth [vst-i]

QuadraSID 1.4 by refx

refx.com[url][/url]

This URL is messed up. I get a page error.
Kruge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try the Sidstation link I posted above. That's a nice C65 Synth.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I corrected Sudden's URL. Both products are very interesting. I'm quite surprized that people are still interested in these devices.
Kruge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I believe the reason for this is quite obvious - and I'm not talking about the quite unique sound of the SID chip alone (which, to some extend, I've managed to simulate on other devices), but simply the NOSTALGIC factor.

I *bet* I'm not the only one out there who started to write music on the C64, simply because we had nothing else. And the people who, like me, grew up on the C64 are now in the age to buy synths... Wink

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I can see that. I started making electronic music before there were any synthesizers by using a shortwave radio and cutting tape. I've been thinking of setting up an old 1962 tube receiver here in the studio. Smile

I listened to some of the FRFX demo tunes. They actually sound pretty nice. Can you point us to any of your C64 tunes, or good stuff from other people?
themoors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just had a listen to Michael Briels stuff quite inspirational, really makes me want to go ahead with this project. I bought two C64's and a BBC the other day so i have somwhere to work from.

thanks guys, ill keep you all informed
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps the gamboyzzz project is of interest?
Not vintage gear but ...

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-5599.html#5599

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kruge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the link to my C64 tunes:

Click!

Arkanoid and Chipwar are actual *remixes* done from the original tunes recorded over a sidplayer on the PC, the other tracks are original works I did with Chris Hülsbeck's Sound Monitor (including Aztec Suite which, of course, is a 'coverversion' of the game's tune).

If you're into gametune coverversions (modern ones then check http://www.c64audio.com/)

opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

www.micromusic.net
www.8bitpeoples.com (ever tried MCK/MML coding?)
Kohina internet Radio
Future-eater

I'll remember more later

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did some music programming back in the C64 days. Let me say I do not miss it one bit. Programming took forever! It was all entered in a version of Basic and it mostly consisted of plotting the track out on paper first, doing some math to figure out how long notes were going to play, then entering the note and time values into a long boring "run" program.

Eeeesh.

The end effect was cool, but man was it boring and uninspiring work. I'd much rather sample the old computer sounds, load them into Gigasampler, fire up Sonar and play the lines out on the keyboard.

I have one track on my music page from mid 80's which used the TI-99 computer and a Moog. It's called Johnny and Mary. You can find it here - http://www.ampcast.com/tictok - It's near the bottom of the page. Excuse the recording, it's kind of shot because I only have a copy of this on an old cassette. The masters were lost in a flood. Sad
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 wrote:
Johnny and Mary

that's cool, I like it. It reminds me of things like "Tubular Bells" and of the old days.............

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph: Heh... thanks Smile
Freakydile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

you can build this, like I'm doing nowadays...

www.midibox.org

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Greetings,

Axel
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: