electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
sequencer stripboard to swingquencer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: sequencer stripboard to swingquencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.synrise.de/diy/sequenzer/sequenzer.htm
Frank has made a nice stepsequencer and has included a stripboardlayout. He´s a good guy! (I read the other thread and thought to open one especially about the 4017 sequencer.
I had this idea once to clock two trigger sequencers, one with the positive ,one with the negative edge (inverter) of a pulsewave. by changing the pulsewidth you could change the swing of the sequence. I guess this only works with the 4017 setup as a trigger sequencer, giving short pulses, otherwise the two would overlap.
But the big question is: How can i get a steady pulse from my midi-clock device to become a variable pulsewave (with maybe half the freq)?

shuffle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.36 KB
 Viewed:  9487 Time(s)

shuffle.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would probably put it through a divider (flip-flop) and then into a one-shot which had a variable length (555 timer). A one-shot is also known as a monostable multivibrator.
zipzap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought of that. But the output pulse would than have a fixed length. Changing the speed of the Clock would result in changing the pulsewidth.
At fast speeds the timing poti (scaling) would have to be set in the lowest range, at slow speeds it might not be abel to give a long enough pulse even if you turn the controll to the far right.
I´m imagining a circuit that aplies variable pulthwidth at any incomming clock signal. I´m shure that the output will have to ba at half speed, as no circuit can look ahead at what is going to happen. It must be possible somhow. Aren´t there comercial Drummachines with Swingcontroll?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bit of an old thread- but please do keep these ideas flowing Smile

zipzap wrote:
Aren´t there comercial Drummachines with Swingcontroll?

Oh yes- many. But they are mainly on the newer digital models.

I may be wrong but it seems old analogue machines (like the Boss DR-55 or TR-808 for eg) have there own swing which is based on the manufacturers attempt to create triplet programming. (My dr-55's swing is really funky! It got that rocky John Bonham Led Zeppi hip-hop sound. It's just a shame that its sounds are a little weak.

There was an excellent Nord modular 1 patch demonstrating this use dual clocking a few years back
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
But the big question is: How can i get a steady pulse from my midi-clock device to become a variable pulsewave (with maybe half the freq)?

hey what about a 'fixed' integrator with clocked reset to a comparator? at high frequencies [resetting faster] the amplitude at reset would be lower than it would be at low frequencies.. i.e. less or more time that the comparator is high [or low or whatever].

this is one solution perhaps?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/quote]

Last edited by toppobrillo on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the TR707 had something like that. You turned it on or off and gave it a value, and it affected the whole pattern. And yeah, it still had the problem of weak sounds, but at least it had individual outs which could be used to trigger external modules.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also a variation on the 555 astable/monostable circuit which charges through one diode/resistor and discharges through another diode/resistor. This way you get complete control of the duty cycle and you can also add an overall frequency pot.
I forget where I saw it now, but I've got a feeling it was being used as a servo motor testing unit. I'll have a bit of a look around and see if I can find it.

toppobrillo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i have definitely done that with a 555 at some point prolly in an attempt to use it as the core of a single supply linear vco, which i guess the PAIA [and rene schmitz?] does with the fatman successfully.

this thing i was talking about would be a frequency coincident P.W.er ..if that is a preferable means of P.W.ing...

the range might be a little shy as the core circuit base, but with a little logic, it could definitely be expanded into ultra/sub audio territory.

that scott gravenhorst has some supercool but simple ideas for those vcos! check those out i think you guys would dig it.

actually yeah, a PLL would do it well.
zipzap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys nice to see this thread again.
Quote:
hey what about a 'fixed' integrator with clocked reset to a comparator? at high frequencies [resetting faster] the amplitude at reset would be lower than it would be at low frequencies.. i.e. less or more time that the comparator is high [or low or whatever].

this is one solution perhaps?

I´m afraid i don´t understand - at all. my knowlege in electronic basiscs is limitded like lenny kravitz´s voice. (in his case i like it).
I recently build my clockprocessor that can controll all my modules and add swingfeel. I used the aproach i first thought of, a 4047 monostable vibrator is beeing triggered by the clock. A pot and a cab define the pulsewidth. The 4047 brings it own inverted output, so i just have to form q and q- into short pulses and or them together. the oring is done in each device (sequencers, s/h, etc) via swiches and diodes (use a pulldown r) so that i can have downbats, offs or both. This is always followed by on divide by 1-10 (4017) which makes it realy interessting. Works.
There still is the problem with changing the clock speed.
2 things about that:
1. If i realy want to use a modulated clock this thing is useless (in the meaning of fixed swing feel- results may be interesting anyhow).
2. more often the clockspeed will not be modulated. for different ranges i can swith in different cabs, so one pot gives controll over very short to very long delay.
The nice thing in reality is what i thought would be the problem of this method. (´s often like that, isn´t it). When the pulsewidth of the 4047 gets longer than the clock you get a divide by kind of thing. this resullts in one long note (more than one beat) and a short one. This gives you the typical samba pattern for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: