electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Metronom
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Metronom Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a utility patch - a metronome. For over a decade I use the Dr. Beat 88 since it's the only programmable metronome where you can program tempo changes and incomplete tuplets (an incomplete tuplet is e.g. a triplet where the third triplet is "not there"). It's a hassle to program it, since a lot of calculation is involved. What tempo are four quintuplet-16ths when a quarter is 77? Moreover, it's only 8 programs and often times that's just four bars of serial music. And the worst thing is: you have to write it down by hand, do the next four bars, write them down and tomorrow you have to re-program all this again (or you calculate it all again). It all boiled down to playing the metronome better than the piece I was practicing.

The G2 doesn't have the famous female drill sergeant voice (one-ti-ta, two-ti-ta, three-ti-ta) and for whatever reason the Clock gen can't do 73 or 57, but it can do 16 programs and you don't have to calculate so much. What's best: programs can be saved, and you have 16 x 8 variations x 4 slots... it still is a hassle to program it, but then you can work. It works on the demo version, that was important to me also. It's not very stable on my laptop though and I just hope that tomorrow it will work well on the G2 itself. Else we have a cow that tries to be a horse.

DB-88-7.pch2
 Description:
Metronome like the Boss Dr. Beat 88 with better program storage options.

Download
 Filename:  DB-88-7.pch2
 Filesize:  5.07 KB
 Downloaded:  1622 Time(s)

Calude Voiot

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you see this one ??

Dr-beat666666666

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7375.html

Calude

PS:tried yours, didnt understand, is it broken ?? Cool
sebber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, no I didn't see yours, works great.

The DB-88 is quite different from the DB-66. Most importantly the DB-88 is programmable, so you can have a loop with 8 different tempos. That was what I was trying to achieve. I've got problems with the synchronization of the ClockGens, so there will be another version.

Program it like this:
with the TEMPO sequencer you choose one of eight ClockGenerators. 1 is clockgen 1, 2 is ClockGen 2...

MULT and DIV sets the relation you want to have. I mean this: if you set MULT to 1 and DIV to one, you'll get as a result the tempo you set with the TEMPO. If you set MULT to 3 and DIV to 2 you will have a triplet. If you set MULT to 22 and DIV to 21 it will give you 22 beats in the time of 21 beats.

The COUNTER finally counts the resulting beats and changes the sequencer to the next step. See the counter's MIDI numbers for the number of steps.

With the mixer you can set the volume of the original tempo, the tempo relations you programmed and a "Bing!" whenever the metronome changes to the next program.

Here's what you get when you load Variation One:
1) 7 1/1 (let's define these as 8ths) beats in tempo 74
2) 6 2/1 (if the above a 8ths these are 16ths) in tempo 58
3) 6 6/4 (that's 3 quarters instead of a half note counted in 8ths, aka quarter triplet) in tempo 74
4) 3 3/1 (that's 3 16ths in an 8th, aka 16 triplet)
5) 3 8ths
6) 4 8th triplets, that means we have the tempo of a normal 8th triplet, but 4 of them (the other two you can find under 8)
7) 4 16th-quintuplet-notes (see 9)
8) the remaining two 8th-triplet-notes from 6)
9) the remaining 16th from the quintuplet (see 7)
10) a half note divided in 6 eights (aka two 8th triplets)

Sounds broken, I know, but it is correct. Apart from the synchronizing problem, that is.

You best program it from the synth itself or via the parameter pages.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is madness Very Happy

I was thinking ... a shape LFO has a direction input which basically is a sort of a relative linear frequency control. When the tempo seq. comtrols such a linear inputs the tempo could be set directly into the sequencer (with some proper scaling), the zero counter would not be needed any more and the syncing could be made to work directly on the LFO.

Sort of like in attached patch, but I'm sure it needs some work ...

metro.pch2
 Description:
A metronome idea based on sebber's db-88-7 patch

Download
 Filename:  metro.pch2
 Filesize:  4.69 KB
 Downloaded:  2489 Time(s)

sebber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

Here's what you get when you load Variation One:
1) 7 1/1 (let's define these as 8ths) beats in tempo 74
2) 6 2/1 (if the above a 8ths these are 16ths) in tempo 58
3) 6 6/4 (that's 3 quarters instead of a half note counted in 8ths, aka quarter triplet) in tempo 74
4) 3 3/1 (that's 3 16ths in an 8th, aka 16 triplet)
5) 3 8ths
6) 4 8th triplets, that means we have the tempo of a normal 8th triplet, but 4 of them (the other two you can find under 8 )
7) 4 16th-quintuplet-notes (see 9)
8 ) the remaining two 8th-triplet-notes from 6)
9) the remaining 16th from the quintuplet (see 7)
10) a half note divided in 6 eights (aka two 8th triplets)

Help. An 8 and ) are not always a smiley... How can I turn that off?

BlueHell, thanks for your idea. I'm sure it will help, but I can't look at it right now because I'm packing my suitcase. I will play the madness described above, it's the beginning of a new piece for piano by Philip Blume called "Rosy derivative".
Ah, the beauty of contemporary composing. It's a beautiful piece though.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Help. An 8 and ) are not always a smiley... How can I turn that off?

Well 8 and ) aren't smilies, but 8) is a smilie. On any post, you can turn off similes by clicking on the "Disable Smilies in the post" in the Options sections just under the text entry box. I went back and checked it on your post above.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: