electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Building a S/H delayline
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Sander_k

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Building a S/H delayline Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synth Secrets

Thanks to G2Ian who pointed out to these articles i tried to create a patch with a delay-line of S/H modules. Very interesting stuff..

but it doesn't work very well and i'd like some advise on this one.

I build a patch just as described in the article, but the only thing i hear when i change the clock-rate of the LFO's is an AM-like-effect which seems logical looking at the patch
So no spectacular pitch shift or whatever. I wouldn't want to make a leslie simulation with this patch Very Happy
i also seems to make no difference if use 2 or 8 or xxx s/h modules...

what am i doing wrong?

Did somebody tried this with the G2 or NM1 and did it work?

Simple_delayline.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Simple_delayline.prf2
 Filesize:  5.22 KB
 Downloaded:  996 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the article was describing how a BBD chip worked but not suggesting that one could be practically made using S+H modules. The real chips used 100’s or 1,000’s in series and were an inexpensive alternative to A2D->Memory->D2A. The end result was unique because each cell was different, resulting in noise. Also the dynamic range was very small requiring companding etc. Also, to get useful delays out of 500 cells, the clock rate was pushed quite low and could sometimes be audible.
Still, if you want to roll your own, I would recommend using two or more DlyClock modules, these offer 1-128 cells connected in series for you. A DlySingleB will do the same thing with much less effort.

Synth Secrets is, on the whole, a great source of ideas and information but it does contain some errors and poorly written sections. It’s like the guy really knows his stuff (and has a sense of humor) but nobody else at SOS knows enough about the topics to effectively edit him.
Sander_k

G2 patch files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, like that. That's too bad, but still very inspiring articles although some of the articles are little obvious.

I'll try with the delaymodules. ( i believe the G2X came with a factory 'audio in' preset that is called pitch play or something, maybe i can check that one out)
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: