electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Filter Nord / FM Lin, how to find the peak frequency
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:  Filter Nord / FM Lin, how to find the peak frequency Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I adapted the scala patch to be used on a filter. I want to change the frequency (Hertz) for each value (0-127). Now I try to find a way to determine the exact peak frequency (accuracy : 0.01 Hz) for each value.

I have no problem to find the frequency of an oscillator. Regarding the filter I thought about using a white noise as a sound source followed by a filter (bandpass, slope : 24 dB/Oct, maximum resonance : 127). But it does not work. Too much movement in the noise.

Another way would be to use a sine which is set to the desired frequency. Scanning the spectrum with the filter up to act on the amplitude of the sine.
But this way I work twice. I have to adjust the frequency of an oscillator for each value before adjusting the filter.

Do you have any other ideas of what I could use as an audio source?

I added a patch with a filter and a white noise to demonstrate what I am trying to do (Active the patch and play with the "Constant2" knob).

Thanks

NordG2FilterTuning1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.22 KB
 Viewed:  660 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

NordG2FilterTuning1.JPG

FilterTuning12.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FilterTuning12.pch2
 Filesize:  5.26 KB
 Downloaded:  4176 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if this applies to all filters ... some will keep resonating after having seen an initial small value, so you don't need the noise to stay present then.

When it does not keep oscillating it may still work with an impulse repeated every once in a while ... depending on how fast you can measure the frequency.

Depending on the filter the resonance frequency may depend on the set Q, something to keep in mind maybe.

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Not sure if this applies to all filters ... some will keep resonating after having seen an initial small value, so you don't need the noise to stay present then.

Razz Yes! Thanks ! It works much better with a slope of 12 dB/Oct ... it does not work well with a slope of 24 dB/Oct ...I don't understand but this is not a big problem. I can probably use a delay with feedback to keep the signal.

A little reading :
Quote:
With digital filters you have to give the filters a bit of a push to get them oscillating. This is true for analog filters as well, but in analog systems there is always a bit of noise around to do the job. In a digital system you have to explicitly provide this.

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_filters.html
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: