electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TR-909 individual voice boards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: TR-909 individual voice boards? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is anyone making 909 voice cards? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if they're already out there.

(I have, and love, the 9090, but I'm just looking for a couple voices to go with my 808 stuff...)

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're killing us!! Shocked Laughing Laughing

909 boards? Oh yessss!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny

Wow , That would mean i'd have to start building an idea something like this , Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dave.

Midi to trig / gate unit http://highlyliquid.com/midi-decoders/md24/

DRUM SYNTH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.57 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DRUM SYNTH.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an excellent example of why single boards are better than one big board. You could for eg have two kinds of snare setting rather than just one- for that automated feeling when performing live (rather than having to use a sample).

It also promotes a 'signature sound'!

Like Dave said... sunny

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
loydb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for a couple Smile
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to this thread at Muff someone on a Dutch DIY site is making kick pcbs. The Dutch list isn't very English-friendly, but I managed to place an order for myself. Also in the thread, negativespace says he's going to make a few 909 pcbs.

None of that appears to have materialized yet, no apparent updates (I just looked at the dutch thread).
Dougster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL, after wading through the stuff about language in that thread, I saw that Blue Lantern posted in that thread! He is (or at least used to be) "Most Wanted" on the MIDIbox forums for not following the rules about DIY only and no commercial products with MIDIbox designs and firmware. I don't want to get anywhere near him...

Looks like I'm still headed towards making 909 voice boards. Now I'm wondering about some kind of way to sequence the accent signal...

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
jumunius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
ROFL, after wading through the stuff about language in that thread, I saw that Blue Lantern posted in that thread! He is (or at least used to be) "Most Wanted" on the MIDIbox forums for not following the rules about DIY only and no commercial products with MIDIbox designs and firmware. I don't want to get anywhere near him...

Oh, wasn't aware! But to be fair, many of the people claiming to be making their own offerings on that thread have no affiliation to him.

I suspect if you are faster the draw in terms of an English-language public offering, people will be interested. It's not even clear if negativespace was planning to produce and sell PCBs or just offer a layout.
Dougster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
Oh, wasn't aware! But to be fair, many of the people claiming to be making their own offerings on that thread have no affiliation to him.

Sure, and Fonik is there, so that definitely raises the legitimacy a bit... Wink

Quote:
I suspect if you are faster the draw in terms of an English-language public offering, people will be interested. It's not even clear if negativespace was planning to produce and sell PCBs or just offer a layout.

Well, I'm not really trying to beat anyone or to protect a particular territory, I'm just interested in putting together some fun toys... Cool

Blue LEDs are evil.
rosch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, count me in!
jumunius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
Well, I'm not really trying to beat anyone or to protect a particular territory, I'm just interested in putting together some fun toys... Cool

Yeah, not trying to make this out to be some sort of competitive venture or anything, but if you spend the time doing a layout, you might approach it differently if you figure others will want to buy one from you.

On the accent issue, is the accent the same spec as the 808? And if so, have you already produced or considered producing a signal-to-accent converter? When you offer the 808 individual voice boards, you might also consider this sort of "module". IIRC the accent trigger spec is rather specific.
Dougster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jumunius wrote:
Yeah, not trying to make this out to be some sort of competitive venture or anything, but if you spend the time doing a layout, you might approach it differently if you figure others will want to buy one from you.

Heehee, sorry, I'm not following you. I'm a recovering perfectionist, so the only thing I do differently when I sell boards to other people is to order more of them! Smile

Quote:
On the accent issue, is the accent the same spec as the 808? And if so, have you already produced or considered producing a signal-to-accent converter? When you offer the 808 individual voice boards, you might also consider this sort of "module". IIRC the accent trigger spec is rather specific.

I've been working on 606, 808 and 909 circuits with my pulse generator and my four channel scope, trying to get a good handle on accents and triggers. When I get back from the business trip, I'm planning to do more experiments. I'm considering two approaches, 1) make some kind of adaptable velocity-to-accent converter that could be configured differently on each channel, or 2) come up with some kind of accent signal conditioning circuit to add to each module that would take a standard pulse input and provide whatever the particular voice required...

Blue LEDs are evil.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Daughter board or even diy strip board / vero board would be easy to knock together.
As for the accent requirements , thats a grey area for me till i learn more Smile

Keep the ideas flowing Smile Smile

Dave.
wow..
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3191711/
jumunius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
I'm considering two approaches, 1) make some kind of adaptable velocity-to-accent converter that could be configured differently on each channel, or 2) come up with some kind of accent signal conditioning circuit to add to each module that would take a standard pulse input and provide whatever the particular voice required...

If you get both working and the footprint isn't big, you could consider selling boards that combine both as a builders' choice. Or just publish a schematic or layout as Dave suggests. Flexibility seems helpful since everyone will have a different method of triggering.

Just some suggestions though -- not sure whether a combined board is realistic.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
jumunius wrote:

Sure, and Fonik is there, so that definitely raises the legitimacy a bit... Wink

where am i? i just cannot follow right now, maybe a language problem on my side Laughing
anyways, i am not going to offer any 808/909 drum voice boards for DIY in near future...

jumunius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

where am i? i just cannot follow right now, maybe a language problem on my side Laughing
anyways, i am not going to offer any 808/909 drum voice boards for DIY in near future...

Probably not worth explaining the last 10 messages on this thread. Suffice it to say, I don't think anyone is awaiting 808/909 board offerings from you. Smile
Clack

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are into doing etching yourself, someone has done it here, the site is very hard to find but they have done a fantastic job - it is eurorack style mounting as uses its own custom bus. One thing is that the noise is a separate module. Look for the PDF on each module page it contains the PCB ready for etching. BC547c and BC557c are used for the NPN and PNP's

http://www.msc175.de/DL-808.htm

http://www.msc175.de/DL-909.htm

A MIDI interface complete with its micocontroller HEX file and power supply is also included.

MB909

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's already in here, but you can find great 909 clone PCB's at: http://www.introspectiv.org/

Cheers,

Jef
Dougster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the first message in this thread:
Quote:
(I have, and love, the 9090, but I'm just looking for a couple voices to go with my 808 stuff...)

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like a kick when this project comes to light Hideing
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

/me looks for his boots... Laughing

I've been on a stupid number of business trips lately, and that has put a cramp in my production. Looks like I'll be gone all next week as well, but after that I'll start shipping the MB-808 kits, then finish the prototypes of the 808 and 909 voices, then I'll wrap up the stand alone MB-808 sequencer so that the 808 and 9090 can have the same user interface... Cool

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am looking forward to your announcements. to be honest, i simply don't have the time to roll my own custom PCBs, and who but you could do finest DIY single voice PCBs for these? (however, i hate wiring front panel components).
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate front panel wiring too! I use a lot of pcb mount potentiometers because of that. When I can't fit a pcb parallel to a front panel, I prefer to use DIL headers so that I can use ribbon cables for front panel wiring. A couple times, I've actually just made two pcbs, one for the main circuits and one for the front panel and then connect the two with ribbon cables and DIL headers...

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote:
then I'll wrap up the stand alone MB-808 sequencer so that the 808 and 9090 can have the same user interface...

Just wanted to give you guys an update if you're waiting for a drum sequencer. I have stopped development of my stand alone sequencer, since it's based on the old MIDIbox PIC core. Check out Jef's sequencer for something a bit more modern:

http://www.synthage.com/Sequencer/default.html

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excuse my ignorance, but the midibox stuff confuses the heck out of me (all the various AOUTS etc....)

Is this thing you linked usable as a generic trigger sequencer, or is it specific to the TR9090 project?

If so it looks ideal!

cheers, Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: