electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta in Reaktor
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Lunetta in Reaktor
Subject description: Who knew CMOS logic used so many cpu cycles?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had an aching urge to cook up some Lunetta action recently, but lack of space and components put a damper on that. I decided instead to break out the copy of Reaktor I bought years ago, when times seemed slightly less bleak, and never used. What better way, I thought, to learn the structure of Reaktor than to hammer out some pseudoCMOS? Here is the result. Not as much fun as wires and potentiometers, but my bedroom is filled with the smell of rosin from throwing together an acoustic guitar mic and that does enough to set the mood.

The ensemble contains two banks of Reaktor mock 40106 oscillators. The built in pulse oscillator sounds appropriately rugged, but needing something triangular for pitch mod I threw in an adjustable triangle/parabola oscillator that kind of breaks the Lunetta spirit (I'm sure it's constructable, but not easily).
There are two each 4051 and 4052 multiplexers. While abstractly identical to the hardware, in practice they switch faster and smoother.
There's a 4071/81/70 sort of logicy thing. NI was kind enough to throw in an inverted out for all of their logic modules so there's also a 4069 in there in spirit. It's set up as 2 2 input OR gates (with 2 NOR outs as well), 1 3 input OR gate (again, with an NOR), 2 2 input and 1 3 input AND gates and 2 2 input XOR gates. Like the multiplexers, this unit is at least some true CMOS in abstract if not practice.
There's a 4027 dual JK flip flop that I had to get from the Reaktor user library. I should probably credit the person who made it but that would require effort.
Finally there's a frequency divider. It's a -bit- like the 4018, but with some cheated functionality.

Hope you all enjoy. I'm open to feedback. This is my first ensemble since...2006 (and even then I never really dug too deep) so mistakes where made and I'm sure there's some hideously sloppy programming lurking in macros. I know the panel looks like garbage, that isn't too high of a priority though. If any one has requests for future modules/features/whatever feel free to ask. I'm going to go through the core tutorial next. After that I should be able to throw together some real counters and dividers and shift registers and whatnot.

Lunetta1.rar
 Description:
Reaktor Lunetta ensemble

Download
 Filename:  Lunetta1.rar
 Filesize:  36.63 KB
 Downloaded:  287 Time(s)

reaktorlunetta1.mp3
 Description:
Sound sample

Download
 Filename:  reaktorlunetta1.mp3
 Filesize:  2.78 MB
 Downloaded:  448 Time(s)

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lunetta in Reaktor

sizone wrote:
I threw in an adjustable triangle/parabola oscillator that kind of breaks the Lunetta spirit (I'm sure it's constructable, but not easily).

Lies, it's easy!

GDAL two wave oscillator.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.61 KB
 Viewed:  5689 Time(s)

GDAL two wave oscillator.png

sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lunetta in Reaktor

JingleJoe wrote:
sizone wrote:
I threw in an adjustable triangle/parabola oscillator that kind of breaks the Lunetta spirit (I'm sure it's constructable, but not easily).

Lies, it's easy!

Opamp cheat! Also no variable duty cycle and triangle slew. Wink Figure how to get that done with a schmitt trigger and minimal components and then we'll be talkin'.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lunetta in Reaktor

sizone wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:
sizone wrote:

Lies, it's easy!

Opamp cheat! Also no variable duty cycle and triangle slew. Wink Figure how to get that done with a schmitt trigger and minimal components and then we'll be talkin'.

The op amp is only a buffer, I could have used a transistor too. The lunetta circuit itself generates that triangle but connecting anything with a low input resistance to the capacitor messes everything up.

Also for variable duty cycle of both triangle and square, see attachment.

P.S. sorry for
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

schmitt osc duty cycle.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.8 KB
 Viewed:  5551 Time(s)

schmitt osc duty cycle.png

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: