electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
PropB3 - DIY Hammond organ
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
PropB3

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: PropB3 - DIY Hammond organ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

if anyone is interested on building a Tonewheelorgan, have a look here:

http://bolltone.de/Projekte/PropB3/PropB3.html

It use a very simple hardware, by using a Parallax Propeller chip.
You only need a handful componets.

have fun

H.Bollig
Mongo1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool - I wish he made a PC board....
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@PropB3: that's awesome! Yes! I'm surprised more people haven't done this kind of thing outside all the mono synths that seem to be coming out of the woodwork. I'm envisioning mellotrons, Solinas...maybe even a polymoog.

I'm assuming the drawbars, leslie, reverb, keyclick, etc. are controled by midi cc commands?

@Mongo1: PropB3 does have the pcb artwork on page 2/3 of the schematic, but quite frankly, it's simple enough to do on perfboard. I suppose there's not too many of us left that do wirewrap! Wink

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm assuming the drawbars, leslie, reverb, keyclick, etc. are controled by midi cc commands?

OK, I see in the zip file "read me" text that is the case: midi cc commands

yusynth

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://bolltone.de/Projekte/PropB3/PropB3_US.html for non german readers...
telbonic

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know of a good place to souce the Propeller uC in the UK? I found farnell are doing them, but for more money than buying the chip direct (albeit with pretty dodgy shipping).

Farnell = £13.84 (ex shipping)
Direct = £8.91 (incl. Dodgy Shipping™)
Mongo1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wondering about this - it seems like a good way to go:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerDevelopmentBoards/tabid/514/CategoryID/73/List/0/SortField/0/catpageindex/2/Level/a/ProductID/509/Default.aspx

Gary
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PropB3,

The DAC output in your schematic does not seem to match what's recommended with either the TDA1543 or the WM8727 datasheets. I'm guessing it was developed with the TDA and left in place when the WM8727 was substituted. The datasheet output buffer filter for the WM8727 looks a little simpler to implement that your schematic. Any reason I shouldn't used the WM8727 data sheet instead?

I just received all the parts, so when I get a chance, I'll try breadboarding this up. Thanks.

PropB3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
PropB3,

The DAC output in your schematic does not seem to match what's recommended with either the TDA1543 or the WM8727 datasheets. I'm guessing it was developed with the TDA and left in place when the WM8727 was substituted. The datasheet output buffer filter for the WM8727 looks a little simpler to implement that your schematic. Any reason I shouldn't used the WM8727 data sheet instead?

I just received all the parts, so when I get a chance, I'll try breadboarding this up. Thanks.

Hello Dan,

the filter at the output from the PropB3 is designed for an other corner frequency than the filter in the datasheet(s). It is not a misstake.

Thanks
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: got a head scratcher here!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oddly enough, I've built both the TDA and WM8727 versions of this project and both suffer from almost the same problem!

Anyway, the problem is that the DAC either won't or will barely be heard with +VDD applied. Removing +VDD will give some volume on the WM, but it reaches normal sound levels with neither +VDD and Ground connected. The TDA just needed the +VDD removed. But unfortunately then the output is distorted with either DAC. I am running just one common ground point between digital and analog ground in both cases.

I don't think the problem is the DACs as it would be quite the coincidence that 2 TDAs and 1 WM8727 suffer from the same issue. The firmware seems fine...everything functions as advertised..it's just the distortion.

There is a typo on the WM schematic. The MCLK for the WM8727 is pin 4 not 7 which is +VDD. It's pretty apparent as VDD+ is also marked pin 7.

It 's a fairly simple schematic so I'm confident on all my connections. I've even rebuilt them a few times on the breadboard. I've also used both the LF33CV power supply and my benchtop supply with the same results. I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.

Any words of wisdom from anyone who built this or is familiar with the Propellers or DACs used on this project are appreciated!

blackmore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interesting!!
I have organ simulator, but your project have many good sounds!
Congratulations!
THeff

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Boxed up B3 Propeller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built this several months ago and finally got it in a box today. I'm very impressed with how it sounds. I used the Parallax P8X32A QuickStart board that I purchased at Radio Shack. The enclosed MP3 demo file used a Yamaha MU-50 for all of the instruments except the organ. All of the Hammond B3 organ sounds are coming from the Propeller and DAC chip. You can get the QuickStart board much cheaper directly from Parallax.

Regards,

Theff

B3 Prop Inside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.05 KB
 Viewed:  630 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

B3 Prop Inside.jpg

B3 Prop Front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.49 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

B3 Prop Front.jpg

Green Eyed Lady B3 Propeller.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Green Eyed Lady B3 Propeller.mp3
 Filesize:  3.65 MB
 Downloaded:  1208 Time(s)

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome Theff. Which version of DAC did you use?
THeff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I used the WM8727 and I could only get the SOIC package, so I mounted it on the bottom of the small PCB. I made a PCB from the original article but have not populated it yet.

Theff
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Theff! Ok I can see from your pcb photo you used the SMD DAC. Did you need to modify the code to use the QuickStart board? I suspect the troubles I had were related to my construction so maybe the QuickStart board will help me.
THeff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dan,

I didn't have to make any changes to the SW code, it worked as is. I just added the outboard PCB wth the opto isolator, opamp, and DAC and it worked.

Theff
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my version of the PropB3. I used the TDA version. You have to buy it on ebay, but they're not too expensive and worth the hassle IMHO. Also, I used a dual op amp TS912 and created a little pcb to plug into the TS914 slot. I wonder if I shouldn't have just tried an LM324?

If you're just starting I would suggest following Theff's lead and use the Quickstart board and just perfboard the rest of the circuit.

I have a Midi LED indicator light but it's not hooked up yet. Still need to create a little circuit to do that.

Many thanks to both PropB3 and Theff for helping me out. This was one of those "shouldn't take more than a week" projects that everything went wrong and took months instead.

PropB3panel (2).jpg
 Description:
My frac rack panel.
 Filesize:  244.12 KB
 Viewed:  486 Time(s)

PropB3panel (2).jpg

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
This was one of those "shouldn't take more than a week" projects...

I've had several like that.

Nice job on the panel. Very creative.

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Richard! I thought this one deserved a little better panel than the usual black text box on gold paint that's been my standard lately.
THeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dan,

That turned out nice!

Theff
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the LED hooked up tonight. Just ran the 6N139 output to a 4001 with the output to the led.

Just for grins, I did try an ln324 for the output op amp and the unit oscillated, So you can't use it as a drop in replacement.

Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this looks great, did anyone build it using the PCB? If so what were the results like?
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built it with the tda version of the pcb. It worked fine.
Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that Dan, that was the version I plan to build as I can get the TDA chip locally.
Before I reach for the etch solution, is anyone willing to program a Propeller chip for me?
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would suggesting spending a few sheckels on the usb programmer. You may decide to switch DAC's or build some other midi project with a propeller. It would probably be cheaper to buy than having someone program one for you and post it to you.

The programming was probably one of the few parts of the project I did correctly first time. It was one of the least painful memories I have building this. All the software is free.

Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: