electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Saw Wave Folder
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ricko

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Saw Wave Folder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a circuit idea. Wavefolders are now pretty well-known kind of waveshaper. They are often made from a chain of circuits that fold the wave back on itself, after it has reached a certain level. The effect can be like a sweep up harmonics or hard sync. It tends to work best for sine/triangle waves, not so good with sawtooth (too much variation in strength of harmonics) and pulse (not much effect).

So I wanted to make one for sawtooths. I am not sure whether the idea is really mine: probably not. It can be built with a quad comparator, & 3 dual op-amps, all vanilla components.

This version here does not use a folder, it uses a chain of fairly standard sawtooth doublers: once the sawtooth is over a threshold, each subtracts the PP amount. So increasing the level causes more folds: first the first doubler, then the second and so on.

So this circuit has four doublers that act to allow sweeping up to 5 x the frequency. You can see example waveshapes in the image below. The green is the input, the purple is the output.

As a bonus, there is a kind of pulse-width option too. It is an offset, so it could be a CV quite readily.

SAWWAVEFOLDER.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  376.03 KB
 Viewed:  658 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SAWWAVEFOLDER.JPG

Last edited by Ricko on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 am; edited 3 times in total
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this looks interesting i built similar but fixed version from electronotes ,second thought this idea with stages can be useful musically ,thanks for sharing
Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vladosh wrote:
this looks interesting i built similar but fixed version from electronotes ,second thought this idea with stages can be useful musically ,thanks for sharing

Thanks.

Yes, to be clear, this isnt four fixed outputs, it is an output that varies from saw to quintuple saw as you turn the fold pot.

And if you replaced the fold pot with some vca thing, it would be under voltage control. (The width pot is a bias effect no different from adding a cv offset to the input saw, like you can do with normal wave multipluers.)
Ricko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VIDEO + AUDIO: I put up an example of the prototype PCB version of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbRE_3tlnFI

I am taking another iteration of the PCB: the plan is to bring it out as a module called fricko Rasp maybe next month, if it is OK.

Last edited by Ricko on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AUDIO: And here is a sample audio file showing one of the kinds of sound, in this case right on the edge of a transition so that sometimes you get a little second thin pulse that shows up as sizzle sound. Unfortunately is is only 16kHz sample, so you don't get the top octave of sizzle, but I thought people might be interested.

sizzle.wav
 Description:
"sizzle" sound of saw wave folder (fricko Rasp prototype) with slight modulation by LFO.

Download
 Filename:  sizzle.wav
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Downloaded:  653 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: