electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Seq16
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Seq16 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello, I'm seeking explanation of some of the labels on the Seq16 that the help doesn't seem to cover. I've attached a scaled up image of the module for reference.

Also here is the help as written:

Quote:
A 16 step sequencer for values and for notes.

It can be set to various signal types.

A cross fade utility is implemented to smooth the signal from one step to the next, cross fading works on all four outputs.

Smoothing slope type can be set independently for up going and down going signals to eiher exponential, linear, logarithmic or s-shaped.

This module can be used as a complex envelope generator when properly clocked.

The four outputs are all offset by four steps each, so when output 1 is at step 5, output 2 is at step 9, output 3 at 13 and output 4 will be at step 1.

The chain input is being used on all four outputs when the module is not active.

The sequnecer can be set to run reversed with the dir input, and it can be set to inverse mode with the inv input. Inverse mode being that the slider is read out upside down.

There is a random input which will set the sliders to randm positions when going active.

When the hold input is active the sequencer will still step but will keep the ouptut values frozen.

Skip inputs when active will skip the corresponding step to be used, making the sequence a step shorter. When all steps are skipped the sequencer will stop moving.

The clock skip input, when seen active will cause a clock (trigger) action to not be executed. This differs from the inactive mode in that in inactive mode the sequencer passes on the chain inputs and when the clock is stopped the output will no longer change at all.

The steps output for the current step will go active when the sequencer is active and either the trig input is high or the T(rigger) / (G)ate mode is set to G.

The TimeWarp (tw) output, which can be used to control the speed of a driving clock module, it is meant to drive the speed input of an LFO. The idea is that when steps are being skipped the sequence length can be kept the same`when using the TimeWarp output in this manner.

The changed outputs (in the C column) will pulse briefly when the associated sequencer output changes.

I'm wondering about:

* shf input -- shift? what does it do?
* are the outputs below res, dir, and act meant to trigger when their corresponding input triggers?
* How is the 'act' input different from the trigger? Does it make the module inactive?
* what are the '1', 'some', 'all' inputs?
* what are the R and X outputs? Is 'R" reverse? Is that different from inverse?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2021-03-01 171746.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.03 KB
 Viewed:  5172 Time(s)

Screenshot 2021-03-01 171746.png

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seq16 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wakyct wrote:

* shf input -- shift? what does it do?
* are the outputs below res, dir, and act meant to trigger when their corresponding input triggers?
* How is the 'act' input different from the trigger? Does it make the module inactive?
* what are the '1', 'some', 'all' inputs?
* what are the R and X outputs? Is 'R" reverse? Is that different from inverse?

* Shf is short for shuffle .. it shuffles the values in the sequencer .. swapping them in a random manner.

* yes, those ouputs are copies of the inputs above them .. I forgot why I did that :shock:

* act is the active input, when low the sequencer sequences not, when not connected it is seen as high

* the 1 some and all inputs .. to the left of the clr button they clear 1, some or all steps to zero .. and to the left of rnd button they randomize 1, some or all steps. I use those for a self modifying sequences, often by connecting a step gate output (one of the lower row of lime colored outputs) to one of those inputs, sometimes combined with one of the blue outputs connected to the dir input (which tends to make ping-pong patterns).

* The R outputs are Raw, that is they step unsmoothed (not listening to the xfade controls) .. the X outputs are cross faded from step to step, as controlled by the xfade controls (the knob, and the modulation input for it below it) .. when xfaded those outputs try to do a smoothing from one step to the next .. which works properly only when the sequencer is clocked at a constant rate .. as it does speed prediction from the clock input.

I will add an example patch, but I'm not sure it will work in the currently published version of Wren .. as I'm a bit ahead of that ... but here is a screen dump too (notice the coonections to the 'rnd some' inputs):

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

2021-02-28-01-04 had we had.wren
 Description:
Seq example ... 001 ...

Download
 Filename:  2021-02-28-01-04 had we had.wren
 Filesize:  95.15 KB
 Downloaded:  364 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An additional note about active (act or actv) inputs:

The active inputs on the sequencer modules are (or were originally) meant to be used with the SeqSeq module - to be able to make longer sequences than 16 steps, the SeqSeq module sequences sequencers .. there is some help for that module which hopefully explains it.

But of course they can be controlled by anything you like .. for starting or stopping sequencers at will, it could be some switch .. like the Switches4 module from the Utility tab .. for instance.

wakyct

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just want to say thanks again for the tips, this thread has led me to a different thinking about sequencers in general, as I always thought of them as a way to linearly arrange sounds...they seem to be a little more than that Wink

self_sequence.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  self_sequence.mp3
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Downloaded:  345 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got some ideas from David Vorhaus' MANIAC sequencer into them, or at least how I understood those ideas. There are some videos on youtube explaining the MANIAC (or M.A.N.I.A.C.) thing a bit. It can be heard on the second White Noise album (concerto for synthesizer)

Some links:

* https://www.soundonsound.com/people/david-vorhaus
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3aYVbILP4
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97ggTFskCo
* https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-42020.html
* https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-116729.html

Will listen to the mp3 later on ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wakyct wrote:
they seem to be a little more than that Wink

They indeed seem to! nice wild movements in that mp3 Cool

wakyct

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow the SOS Vorhaus article is so good!
wakyct

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OT but since we're talking about Vorhaus, it seems like he might release a new album in this decade Smile

https://whitenoise68.bandcamp.com/releases

It sounds like he's doing a lot in software (Reaktor)
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wakyct wrote:
It sounds like he's doing a lot in software (Reaktor)

Yeah I've read about a port of the MANIAC to Reaktor .. re. that new release .. I never managed to go past White Noise 1 (an electric storm) & 2 (concerto for synthesizer), maybe I should Shocked

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: