electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
Absolute beginner's questions
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
andi_e

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:  Absolute beginner's questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi y'all

I'm new to cubase (when I say new, I mean I've had it 25 mins.)

Whoa, this thing is big. How do I actually make music? Let's start with a drum beat, the drum editor... Ok, easy enough to click on the things, but when I play back, there's no sound...

Do you need some sort of input device, i.e. piano-keyboard, or can it be done with your bog standard mouse-and-keyboard and speakers? What the hell is a bus (apart from those things that take you into town)? What does any of this mean? At all? Why are we here? (Sorry, too far with the questions)

Me and my mate Ed are wanting to make some DnB tunes, whereas I myself will also be wanting to make techno/ambient music too.

Help will be grand, thanks...

Embarassed
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

25 minutes you say? Freeze! Take a look around you! Your desk is probably still full of Cubase peels. Poke the stuff that is not moving and try to find the install CD and the manual. I think the latest SX comes with a Quick Start leaflet. On the install CDs you will find some demoprojects. Open any of these. It is far easier to understand Cubase when you have a project up and running with files and such.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
andi_e

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now, here's where the law comes in...

I "do" have an original copy, honest... Being a student I can barely afford to wake up before midday so I borrowed it off somebody who borrowed it off somebody naughty.

Er, so I don't have any of these example projects.

I know how to use a basic Cubase from the dim and distant past, it's just not doing what I want it to do at the moment...
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with the drum editor you create midi events. you need to route the midi events to a sound source, e.g. the internal lm4 softsynth. if you still can't hear anything you need to check if the softsynths audio output is routed to the appropiate audio outs, assuming your audio config is correct...

maybe you are best off getting a cubase howto book?

best regards

eike
---

p.s. the good thing about buying software: you only buy what's needed (fewer options, less confusion) and you will invest a lot of time because of the money you spent.
andi_e

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers nood. Is there one of those "cubase for dummies" books?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you could do is visit Google and make a search for "Cubase tutorials".

Shocked

A radical move I admit, but who knows what you might find.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andi_e wrote:
Cheers nood. Is there one of those "cubase for dummies" books?

look here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0783521-3673741?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cubase&Go.x=8&Go.y=10

or check your library? are you sure you didn't get a pdf manual?
btw which cubase version are we talking about?

(i still use logic 5.5.1 on pc because it does everything i want, works best with my mcu and i am familiar with it...)

i think the most helpful is to build templates/projects which do what you want (audio, midi, vsti/effects, mixing)

best regards

eike
---
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using SX3, and have used cubasis in the past, and I'm guessing cubasis is a lot more basic?
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have explosive. Thanks noodlenator, that advice worked well.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andi_e wrote:
I'm using SX3, and have used cubasis in the past, and I'm guessing cubasis is a lot more basic?

If you are new to Cubase, it can be a bit of a headf**k Shocked
You're wanting to make drun n bass tracks? well you may have to be a little patient. Personally I'd give it a few months of hard slog before you come up with anything listenable.

If I were you, go get a copy of Ableton Lite instead and play with that. At least you can rip a couple of loops from records and then import them into Ableton- which will work out the tempo and quantising for you. This would be a far more realistic bet, if you want to get some stuff done quickly.

Failing that, get a Palm (OS 5+) PDA and get a copy of Bhajis Loops. With Bhajis you can take your music anywhere (apart from the shower! Wink ). Pocket sized and fun- it's almost as powerful as Cubase, yet only costs £13- the price of a CD (you're a cash strapped student right?). Bhajis is awesome because if you do make some cool beats with it (and Bhajis sounds fab, believe me Very Happy ), Bhajis will export both MIDI and audio files that you can import into Cubase (or Ableton) at a later date.

What more can I say? Go get one and create! Cool

Bhajis Loops here!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers, I might try that! Yeah, I'm a cash strapped student, so anything cheap sounds like a plan.

Do you think getting a keyboard would help? I've got a beat in my head I can tap out perfectly but when it comes to putting it on to pc it doesn't sound right. Can cheap keyboards be any good?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed, do get a cheap M-Audio keyboard or something like that.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something like this?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In order to get your dnb right, you should consider learning to play a bit too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good. All I have to do is wait 2 months for my next bit of student loan to come through then I can afford it...
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Play piano? or play dnb?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..play music ..on a keyboard..

dnb is music and technically dnb is a kind of a hybrid of styles anyway

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
andi_e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I can play piano just fine, that's not really a problem.

P.s. like the music on your myspace. Is it from the film of the same title?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX. Very Happy
Nope, I never had my agent call their agent. Laughing
Same book though. Wrote that piece more than 20 years ago I think. The recording is kinda recent though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andi_e wrote:
Good. All I have to do is wait 2 months for my next bit of student loan to come through then I can afford it...

Very Happy

I'm in the same boat too Very Happy

But I want a new bicycle Cool

I've got one of these at the mo. They're good but a bit too small for me Sad

......and I want some gears too Idea Exclamation Laughing

The midi keyboard is a good move. Try getting one with Ableton thrown in Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Punch_It_Chewie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:  Latency with Cubase Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's all good advice above as I'm a beginner as well , so thanks .

My problem has been latency .

I'm running a Roland d-50 through Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinium midi interface card , and when playing VST's direct , I have no latency problems between keys hit and the sound generated through the VST .

However , when using the same VST in cubase sx3 the latency is very noticable ( seconds not ms ) . I've browsed through the manual but can't seem to locate what I should do .

Thanks in advance

I hope this makes sense
Punch_It_Chewie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not to worry , I found it
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Punch_It_Chewie wrote:
Not to worry , I found it

Always good when you can answer your own questions, what was the answer ?

welcome BTW.

Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
Jump to: