electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Question About Processing External Audio
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Question About Processing External Audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I have been still kicking around the idea of getting myself a G2X since last June and the urge has just come over me once again and wanted to ask a question about audio processing.

I am grateful for any answers as always Very Happy

1) The answer is most likely yes but is the G2X able to input a external audio source and process it it through it's effects modules along side it's own internal sound generation?

2) If so, is the external audio processing latency comparable to outboard DSP based processors?

3) And .. if so ... can the G2X processor more than 1 external audio source?

Thanks so much,
Bill
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Question About Processing External Audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

1) The answer is most likely yes but is the G2X able to input a external audio source and process it it through it's effects modules along side it's own internal sound generation?

Yes, this is easy. You can even use one or more of the four slots just for processing, or mix processing of external sounds with generated sounds in the same patch.

Quote:
2) If so, is the external audio processing latency comparable to outboard DSP based processors?

There is virtually no latency, as far as I can detect.

Quote:
3) And .. if so ... can the G2X processor more than 1 external audio source?

Yes, there are 4 independent external inputs - and four outputs. The G2X has a mic preamp built in on input 1 - works great with the included goose necked dynamic mic. You can route the inputs to any one or all four slots. You can route signals from one slot to the other too.

There is an input module that allows you get get any of the inputs and internal busses. It couldn't be easier.

Please get your G2X immediately. I can't wait to see what patches you come up with. If you don't like it I'll buy you a package of Stroopwafels.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Yes, this is easy. You can even use one or more of the four slots just for processing, or mix processing of external sounds with generated sounds in the same patch.

Oh this sounds fantastic. So each "slot" is like an independent DSP board as I understand this?

Quote:
There is virtually no latency, as far as I can detect.

OK, very cool, that answers that question. Yes, I am thinking external audio to say, tapped delay lines, and then routing those taps to various other modules for some real interesting cascading sort of sounds (among about a billion other things). Very Happy The G2X could offload my CPU tremendously in my G-Box PC I am using for software synthesizers and signal processing. Seems like with (4) DSP's loaded, I could do use it for MIDI keyboard & controller, and multi-output sound generation with an FX rack to ice the cake!

Quote:
Yes, there are 4 independent external inputs - and four outputs. The G2X has a mic preamp built in on input 1 - works great with the included goose necked dynamic mic. You can route the inputs to any one or all four slots. You can route signals from one slot to the other too.

There is an input module that allows you get get any of the inputs and internal busses. It couldn't be easier.

OK, thats great information, so the GX2 comes stock with these 4 inputs and 4 outputs I would assume.

May I ask if the GX2 comes with the 4 slots "loaded" or does it come with like 2 and the user would the populate those slots later on?

Quote:
Please get your G2X immediately. I can't wait to see what patches you come up with. If you don't like it I'll buy you a package of Stroopwafels.

I read this part to Robin! Very Happy Very Happy She got a good laugh! She remembers how good they were .... and ... so do I from the last Electro 2006 .... Very Happy Somehow, when I do purchase one of these beauties, I am going to like it very much so I looks like I will be buying my own "Stroopwafels: . GRIN

Thanks so much !
Bill

PS: Robin and I got our three day passes for EM07 !

Last edited by State Machine on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uhm Bill,

ahem, don't forget that you can also route 4 channels of audio between slots internally...

so 2 stereo internal sends and returns to anywhere = combined 3 slot serial fx processing, or 4 if you incorporate a pair of inputs and outputs to boot -- which still leaves you a set of stereo inputs and outs. just an example

far more power than any mortal should posses Wink

Two words -- it's evil!

You will enjoy this synth... make sure to leave some time for "a life" Wink
/Dasz
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You will enjoy this synth... make sure to leave some time for "a life"

Seems so brother! Thanks for the added information. Very Happy

Bill
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The DSPs are actually used as a pool of resources by the synth. Your patches, depending on the # of polyphony requested for each slot, are then automatically compiled and rearranged to use the DSPs most efficiently. When loading in new patches, it takes usually a second or less for this whole process to take place. This also happens ON the synth itself, by a fifth processor, so nothing special needs to be done in the editor for any of this to happen.

I've seen people use the G2 for sequencing, control of other software, control of analog synths (via midi & audio), manipulation acoustic instruments (not just adding FX, but really manipulating it), creating emulations of new & old synths, creating lots of new synths, drums, special effects, ..well, most things that can be done with audio, can be done on the G2, in some form or another. And a few more that haven't been thought of yet.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Your patches, depending on the # of polyphony requested for each slot, are then automatically compiled and rearranged to use the DSPs most efficiently.

OK yes, like a sort of "optimizing" compiler that exploits the most "parallelism" among the distributed DSP nodes. Sure, I get the concept. I like your explanation. Very Happy

Quote:
... manipulation acoustic instruments (not just adding FX, but really manipulating it)

The way it sounds from Mosc's statement that latency is imperceivable by his own usage, you can really mess ("really manipulate" as you stated) with the incoming audio in real time without worry of "overloading" things ... nice ... Very Happy

Thanks for your helpful insight Very Happy

Bill
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
The DSPs are actually used as a pool of resources by the synth. Your patches, depending on the # of polyphony requested for each slot, are then automatically compiled and rearranged to use the DSPs most efficiently. When loading in new patches, it takes usually a second or less for this whole process to take place. ...

I've seen people use the G2 for sequencing, control of other software, control of analog synths (via midi & audio),

..well, most things that can be done with audio, can be done on the G2, in some form or another. And a few more that haven't been thought of yet.

well put. having an expanded g2 with all patches at 100% mono voice area & 100% in fx area x in each slot --- or 800% total -- yum ....

most things can be done in the g2, for me it is an output for the ideas in my head ... an output with a square border, not a circle as that is an input Wink
/Dasz
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to play devil's advocate, there has been some grumbling over the delay lines being 16 bit although the rest of the machine is of higher resolution. No big deal to me, but it could be good to know if you plan on using delay lines (do a search here on the forum).

/Stefan

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:

make sure to leave some time for "a life" Wink
/Dasz

Depending on whether you have one or not, then this needn't be a concern.

R.
"What's life without a bit of Audio Mangling"

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2X comes expanded with 8 DSP chips. It's a bruiser.

I know you are old enough to remember that 16 bit delays at 96KHz was once something to die for. Laughing

So, Bill, where did you order it from?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like the G2X is being discontinued. Better order yours now while you can still get it. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-16461.html
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The G2X comes expanded with 8 DSP chips. It's a bruiser.

Wow, I agree. Do you happen to know what DSP chips they use? Shark, TI, ??

Quote:
So, Bill, where did you order it from?

I just knew hanging out with you would corrupt me sooner or later ... Very Happy Very Happy

Well, when I do get it, I will be learning from the best! You and the gang on this forum are just brilliant with this piece of gear!

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Looks like the G2X is being discontinued. Better order yours now while you can still get it.

Ugg, how did I miss this ... Hmmmmm. I will look into this. Does this mean an update model? Oh crap ......

Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The chips are the Moto 56002/3 family - or whatever company now makes these.
SecretAsianMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw the exact chip numbers on a search here just yesterday.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...there are a couple of other things that are worth thinking about:

1. you can build your own "input filters" to clean up the external audio signal before you beat the hell out of it. i do this in a separate "slot" and then route that to my patch. Twisted Evil

2. if you are processing audio, you generally only need one voice, so you have lots more "room" in the dsps than you do when playing polyphonic kbd parts.

deknow
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the G2X is being discontinued. Better order yours now while you can still get it.

Ugg, how did I miss this ... Hmmmmm. I will look into this. Does this mean an update model? Oh crap ......

Bill

No, I emailed clavia and got a clear answer: the G2X model is discontinued, but the rest of the G2 line including expansion boards are still in production. There is no indication of an update model; probably the G2x didn't sell enough. If you don't need the 5 octaves and 3 mod wheels, an expanded G2Keys will give you exactly the same power. Or go unexpanded first to save $$, and expand when you feel the need.

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: