electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Wii remote + NMG2
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rhombus

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Wii remote + NMG2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently working on a GlovePIE script and Nord Modular G2 patch to get the Wii remote & nunchuck to send MIDI messages to the G2. It will require a PC with Windows, a compatible Bluetooth receiver, and a MIDI output device. I'm focusing on the accelerometers to begin with, there's actually a bit of work that needs to be done both on the PC side and the G2 side to a) supply raw output, b) supply output that compensates for gravity, and c) supply output that represents rate of change (hopefully). My first example will be something simple that just uses orientation to change three parameters on a simple synth. What I really want to do is make a shaker type instrument with the G2 that is controlled by shaking the Wii remote. I've already got a good start on the GlovePIE script but I still haven't started on the G2 patches. It will take me a little bit of time to determine how much math can/should be done within GlovePIE and what could be made easier in the G2.

Ultimately my final template and scripts will go into Building Blocks. I plan to support accelerometer data from both the remote and an attached nunchuck, plus all buttons, the d-pad, and the analog stick on the nunchuck. It'll take a bit of time to finish but the G2 is the sort of thing that begs for this sort of interactivity. What's nice is that a single Bluetooth receiver can support up to four Wii remotes with attachments so you could go wild with this sort of thing.

Anyways, hopefully there's some interest in this little project of mine. If any of you are already doing Wii remote development on the PC let me know if you want to help. Or if you're interested in getting started I can post some links that will help you.
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd love to have a go once you'd done it. i've got someone designing a haptic interface for use with my G2. the potential for user interface intuivity is astounding.
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rhombus,
How are ye doin'?
I've been using the Wii controller and nunchuk for a couple of weeks now (with Ableton Live and the G2). It works fantastically (I use OSCulator on the Mac to do the mapping to midi). I've also been playing with Quartz for realtime midi-synced and Wii controlled visualizations.
Later,
grimley
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey rhombus Smile
I've been using Glovepie for gaming on the windows platform and I must say it is a really an amazing software.I wish you good luck with your script, I will maybe have to switch from osx to xp when it's done Smile ( i could be a beta tester if you want... )

Hi Grimley!
I didn't knew about osculator! LOOKS GREAT !!!!!
Thanks for the info Very Happy

Some miidii fun...on mac ( maybe not as complete as osculator..but...)

WiiToMidi
WiiToMidi allows you to convert signals from a Nintendo Wii controller to MIDI signals. It is a Cocoa application for Mac OS X and uses the DarwiinRemote WiiRemote framework to decode Wii controller signals. It also supports the Nunchuk controller.
http://mike.verdone.ca/wiitomidi/

The Wiinstrument
Ever wanted to have a cheap external MIDI controller that's wireless? Or to play a groovy drum loop in your sequencer without having to set note delays manually?
For this one, I like the Percussion mode: Smack both controllers to trigger MIDI notes (with velocity recognition)
http://screenfashion.org/2007/04/the_wiinstrument.html
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, GlovePie looks pretty cool. This sentence made me freak out: "control multiple mouse pointers with multiple mice", because that is something I have wanted to do for a long time - my mind holds a project where I connect several trackballs to the PC and have them control various MIDI controls.

Good luck with the project! Very Happy I too have tested the Wiimote with Osculator, and it works nicely.

/Stefan

rhombus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlovePIE is where I'm starting because I figure it'd be simple for others to modify, but I may have to make an app using C# .NET instead if more math is involved.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heya, grimley and rhombus, long time no see (literally)...

I'd love to see the stuff you've done with the wee...

I've got a PS3 with the tilt controls but haven't found anything that'll MIDI it up... any help?

Talk to you soon.
/Dasz
rhombus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can the PS3 controller hook up wired with USB? I'm pretty certain it connects with its own proprietary RF signal like the Xbox 360 wireless controller. If there's a wired USB version then GlovePIE should be able to use it. In any case, there's not much stopping you from buying a wiimote just to use with your PC. Smile
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the ps3 controller has a usb port, used to recharge batteries and also it works as the controller (i think).

but a wiimote by itself would be cool. max/msp/jitter finally works on my machine! 2 updates later (including 1 pace ilok update). so i would be into playing with low level signals again...

I might be in Seattle soon, but only for 1 day.
/Dasz
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
"control multiple mouse pointers with multiple mice", because that is something I have wanted to do for a long time
/Stefan

I hope I understand you correctly- but this is not hard to do at all.
At my last job, I started using 2 mice on the same PC, to help reduce tendonitis. To do this, the company bought a PS-2 Y-cable device that allows 2 PS2 mice to be plugged into one PS2 port.
Using this I could move the mouse pointer with both mice at the same time.

Since then, USB has mostly- eliminated PS2 ports, so the need to the $70 Y-cable adapter is no longer needed. I don't know if plugging in 2 USB mice into one computer will give you the same effect, but why not just try it?
It's a much cheaper solution that the PS2 Y adapter.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Antimon wrote:
"control multiple mouse pointers with multiple mice", because that is something I have wanted to do for a long time
/Stefan

I hope I understand you correctly- but this is not hard to do at all.
At my last job, I started using 2 mice on the same PC, to help reduce tendonitis. To do this, the company bought a PS-2 Y-cable device that allows 2 PS2 mice to be plugged into one PS2 port.
Using this I could move the mouse pointer with both mice at the same time.

Since then, USB has mostly- eliminated PS2 ports, so the need to the $70 Y-cable adapter is no longer needed. I don't know if plugging in 2 USB mice into one computer will give you the same effect, but why not just try it?
It's a much cheaper solution that the PS2 Y adapter.

Thanks - yes I know about this. I have a trackball (for me) and a mouse (for visitors) plugged into my workplace PC, and it works great, except when me and the visitor end up fighting for the power of the mouse pointer.

It's "multiple mouse pointers" that is the item of interest here - that is, i want to be able to have each mouse pointer control its own mouse pointer (or parameter pair). That way, there is a chance to implement the 10-trackball-midi-controller that I'm longing for. Very Happy

I have actually seen a driver hack that enabled you to have several very ugly mouse pointers on the screen, but it was too low-level for my taste.

/Stefan

grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya Dasz ... have you been checking your private messages?

Rhombus, did I read somewhere that there is a .NET Wii library?

I've actually started to build a custom conrtoller using the Doepfer PE, a couple of joysticks, pots and switches. Making it to fit the right side of the G2.
rhombus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I've got that .NET Wii library, it's actually really good with some of the compensation built in, so that's where I'd probably start if I end up resorting to it. Chances are all I'll put up here is GlovePIE scripts and patches, just because that'll be simplest for people here to modify.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

It's "multiple mouse pointers" that is the item of interest here - that is, i want to be able to have each mouse pointer control its own mouse pointer (or parameter pair). That way, there is a chance to implement the 10-trackball-midi-controller that I'm longing for. Very Happy

Hmmmm, I'm fairly certain ChucK can do that (for parameter pairs+scrollwheel+buttons). I never tried in person but I think the call to open the mouse takes a id for a specific mouse as a parameter and I've seen Ge Wang perform with a bundle of mice in videos. It wouldn't make much sense to perform with 8 or so mice if you couldn't.

dasz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

grimley wrote:
Hiya Dasz ... have you been checking your private messages?

Yeah, I didn't get any message but the one that asked if I did get the last week's message. I'm bad wrt to replying with a keyboard sometimes (voice is better).

While on the topic, there is a good chance I will be in Renton (1st time in a long time) on tues night.

It would be good to see you guys.
/Dasz
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: