electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Finished my Klee!
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a tune I just finished with the Klee. All the drums are coming from my diy drum machine. The event generator I built not to long ago is triggering all the drum sounds except the kick. The klee is triggering the kick. The event generator's internal clock is driving the Klee. The Klee is driving three XR2206 VCO's, two MOTM EG's, one VCA-1, and the 3320 filter. I am only using register B!

I also used a Space Echo 201, a Lexicon MPX-100 and my Mackie 1604 mixer. There is a lot of post processing. Compression, EQ, Flanging (waves plugins).

pete

Update, I moved the tune to the, "A collection of Klee musics" thread.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-156985.html#156985

[Blue Hell - added a link]

Last edited by 23isgood on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent piece!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats... Good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
23isgood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! I just realized that I should have posted this in the, "A collection of Klee musics" thread. How can I link it to there?

pete

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much fun to listen to! Very "drummy". Keep it coming!

Home,My Studio,and another view
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The simplest way to move the attachment it to delete it and repost to the other topic. Not elegant, but it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or simply post a link to this thread or the mp3 alone in the other thread ... less work ....

Too late I see Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that would have been less work, but not the tunes are in the same place.
23isgood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh I forgot to mention that my Klee's trigger outputs will not trigger my CGS drum modules, the Cynare, and the dual chime. I think the gate outputs didn't work on the CGS stuff either. Do I have to adjust resistor values on my Klee to accommodate the CGS stuff?

thanks
pete

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which range are your trigger outputs, 5 or 10V?

It's interesting - IIRC, I had 5V outputs on the BB, but it still triggered the Cynare (I don't have the other modules you mention).

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okee doke - the drum module (which I have, too, forgot to mention) and the chime simulator should trigger on anything above 3V. The Cynare should trigger on anything above 2V. In fact, if you look at the Cynare schematic, you might notice it has a 100K/15K divider as a reference to the input comparator, just like the Klee (mosc needs to invent an innocent "whistling" icon Laughing ).

I'm fairly certain I ran both the Cynare and drum module off of 5V on breadboard Klee, but, being on breadboard, it's possible the flavor of the day could have been different. In any case, both trigger on my Klee, which has the 10V range outputs.

Just to be sure it's not a case of trigger width as opposed to level - you can double-check that by plugging a gate output to the trigger inputs of the modules - it looks like each of those modules has an input cap to turn whatever is presented to them into a pulse.

I know you mentioned that you may have tried the gates, but the gate width will vary with the clock - to remove that as a consideration, you can manually step the Klee by pressing the manual step switch. I designed that so the gates would stay high as long as they switch was pressed. The gate bus LEDs will stay high as long as that switch is pressed (of course, as long as a gate is progammed for the current step on a particular bus), meaning that the gate outputs are held high. The results of that would confirm or deny that pulse width is a concern here.

As an aside, the manual step switch is a way you can merge gates "on the fly", (even the master gate bus!) though each time you press it, it will step the sequence up one step.

Cheerio,
Scott

23isgood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok just checked and it seems that they do work with the trigger outs. Whats not working is the trigger input to the Cynare. If I take the trigger out from the Klee and plug it into the sustain input on the Cynare, it works. I setup the Klee to output 5v gates and triggers. I know the Cynare trigger input works, cuz I have been using it with my event generator just fine.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick question: what level does your even generator put out?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anudder kwik kwestion: if you plug a Klee gate output to the trigger in of the Cynare, will it trigger from that?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My brain's probably distorted right now, but I can't see any way for the Sustain input of the Cynare to actually trigger it. It goes high when there's a gate signal (something greater than 2V), but there's a blocking diode in place so that it doesn't make it through to the trigger portion. What it does is allow the damper control to have an effect on the decay - if it's high, the envelope cannot discharge through the damper, so the decay will be longer than if there were not a gate signal present (under normal circumstances).

I'm sure you know this already, but this is why Ken states:

Quote:
Note: if the damper decay rate is set to minimum, and the sustain input is below about 2V, the envelope will be set at minimum, with the decay control having very little effect, so if you do not wish to use the sustain input, the damper decay rate should be turned to maximum.

I'll whip out the Cynare board when I get home and give it a whirl to see if anything pops up - I'll cut my levels down to 5V range to emulate what you're experiencing.

That is, if I have power when I get home - we're expecting an ice storm here.

I'll let you know what I find out. If I have power. Rolling Eyes

Cheerios,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I tried out my Cynare - mine triggered OK with the Klee trigger outputs. I rigged up a 100K pot and reduced the trigger output from the Klee - the Cynare stopped triggering at right around +2V. I thought I'd try putting the triggers into the sustain input to see what happened, but it wouldn't trigger off of those. It's a headscratcher!

Cheerio,
Scott

23isgood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it appears that the replacement CD4034 for register B has gone bad! Luckily I bought two of them so I just put the second one in there and its working. Even though my Klee is working fine now, I cant let it slide without figuring out why these chips keep going bad in register B. Can someone shed some light on why they keep going bad? Could it be bad grounding?

thanks,
pete

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure what could cause it - which manufacturer was it (TI or ...?).

Was the failure mode the same as before?

As an aside, I patched up my Klee just last weekend - first time I'd actually played the modular since right before Christmas. The Klee has been on, though, for most of the time, though - it's on the same powerstrip as my DW6K and SH-201.

I've been syncing it to MIDI through a MAP MTS-100. Twisted Evil

23isgood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your Klee has been turned on since Christmas!? Wow. Can leaving gear on for that long be bad? So the first symptoms I noticed, was that the Register B cv outs where not working. Then I noticed that the 8*16 switch was not working. Eventually the register B LED's would all stay on, and then the Klee just locked up. These are the similar problems that I had before. The first chip was the one I got from Bill, and the second one was from TI. I need to buy a few more just in case.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it's only been on if I have the other synths turned on Very Happy

What are you using for a power supply?

23isgood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh ok, it hasn't been on all this time. Im using a power one power supply. The same as in the MOTM supply.
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got new mobile phone that records video clips oujea. shit it is.
here's variation of scott's golden pot settings.
my modest soundlab.
short one.

cheers
ivan
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, indeed, Ivan! I'd love to see a longer clip of it.

Arrgh, I wish I was YouTube capable (of making a vid that is).

Cheerio,
Scott

a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thnx scott.
i hope very soon to make something longer,
im in process of making some modules to make use of klee even more.

cheers
ivan
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: