electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Thinking about buying Nord Modular G2
Page 2 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
... 200 quid and its yours
Indeed a very interesting machine. Had the chance to work with it some days ago. And indeed, no G2 like synth.

Anyway, that 'Thoum' sound is very easy to create on a NordLead2X...

Argitoth wrote:
... (excuse my english)
I have to compliment you... Your English isn't so bad for someone living in Arizona Wink

Wout
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a recreation of the sound at 7:30 of my 10 minute synth favorites mp3. (WIP4)

I've been working on trying to recreate that "thoum" sound and I modulated the resonance with some attack and fast decay, also added some attack to the filter.

Only problem is I can't recreate the tone. The tone I'm getting is like a boring TB303 sound. That synth in the nova demo has a special character.

BobTheDog wrote:
200 quid and its yours

Very tempting, but all the reviews I've read say that the X-station or Xiosynth is better. And at this point, I'm really not sure if those would be a better investment than Nord Modular. On top of that, my brain is exploding with conflict. I ask myself should I really try so hard to recreate these synth sounds? Should I just go with Nord Modular because I know it can create some nice sounds? Or maybe I should get a Novation synth since I liked what I heard. But then I need to hear it first hand to decide.... I like what I'm hearing from Nord lately, it can really create sounds that are raw and powerful.

WIP4.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WIP4.pch2
 Filesize:  2.27 KB
 Downloaded:  1176 Time(s)

Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://shup.com/Shup/47564/synth_needed4.mp3

Here's the next order of business. I want Nord G2 to have nice snappy envelopes to create those kinds of trancey arpeggaiting filtered saws. Can anyone post example patches or sound demos? Please continue to help me, I know I'm asking for a lot, but I can't demo a real Nord Hardware and it's $1000, I gotta know everything before I buy it. Well, that and I'm a noob at patching a modular synth like Nord.
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, I spent over two hours on this (WIP5) and I'm still not satisfied. This is definitely a sign that I'll need to look elsewhere before I think about purchasing Nord Modular. I may find, as I look at other synths, that my standard of perfect copies of the synth sounds I love (in the 10 min mp3) is too high and that no synth can truely satisfy that unrealistic desire. However, I shouldn't give up until I run out of ideas. I love how I can just throw wires everywhere and get something cool in Nord Modular, but my ears tell me that I need to keep looking.

wip5.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wip5.pch2
 Filesize:  1.96 KB
 Downloaded:  1225 Time(s)

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear Argitoth,

It is impossible, special when you're a 'noob' as you call it, to know everything about a synth like the Nord Modular G2. It has a steep learning curve. It will take a lot of time and a lot of effort to find your way in such a synth. Why am I concerned about this? Just because the synth can do a lot of different sounds, but can you get all those sounds out of that synth? When you can't, who is to blame: the synth, you or the forum which told you it was possible?

My advise: buy the synth, work with it more then a year and when you think it isn't you cup of tea, sell it. After all you will learn a lot Smile

When you buy it, please start with simple Patches. Don't try the most difficult situations at the beginning...

Wout
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
When you buy it, please start with simple Patches. Don't try the most difficult situations at the beginning.

Well, you kind of missed the point. I'm not looking for a complex synth that can do many things. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a synth that can do three things:

1. Soft pads including supersaw pads
2. Snappy trance-arpeggio stuff
3. Screaming leads

Nord Modular checks off on just #3 so far as I can tell. From what I know about Novation synths, they check off on all three, based on what I've heard (as in sound demos). You say I should start with simple patches. But the point you are missing is that all I want is simple patches: simple patches that sound good. I spent over 2 hours on the above patch (WIP5) and still wasn't satisfied. That patch is trying to copy the most basic of sounds. Whatever synth created that sound probably took 5 minutes to program. You might think that I want a "quick fix" synth and that Nord Modular is too complex for me. Truth is, I don't think Nord Modular can replace a synth that *JUST* PLAIN AND SIMPLE *SOUNDS GOOD.* I came to this forum hoping some of you could show me that Nord does *plainly and simply* sound good.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you simply aren´t ready for any sort of modular system. That is quite OK. Why don´t you go to a music store and check out the Waldorf Blofeld. The Korg Radias might fit your kind of work too. Even the Alesis Ion might suit your style.

The Micro, NM-1 and G2 can of course perfectly well handle all of the tasks you have described so far. That doesn´t mean any of these are really right for you.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a synth that can do three things:

1. Soft pads including supersaw pads
2. Snappy trance-arpeggio stuff
3. Screaming leads

Sounds like you want a Virus TI, all 3 things and more.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
I came to this forum hoping some of you could show me that Nord does *plainly and simply* sound good.

The G2 does sound very good but you really need to know what you are doing.

Just slapping down some oscillators, envelopes and filters is going to do you no good at all.

For instance have a look at http://electro-music.com/forum/post-46613.html#46613 if you don't understand this sort of stuff then the G2 is not the best bet to start patching to get useable sounds.

Now I don't understand this sort of stuff but I would never sell my G2, it is a great learning tool and some of the patches skilled people create are astounding.

Andy
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
It sounds like you simply aren´t ready for any sort of modular system. That is quite OK. ...
I would say the same thing! Try every synth as long as it isn't a modular one. Stay with the pre-patch designs: there are a lot of possibilities too. So if it has to red, look at the NordLead2X or the Nord Wave.

Wout
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Sounds like you want a Virus TI, all 3 things and more.
Yep. Novation and Virus are at the top of my potential synth list.

And a message to all the other responders: I'd like to hear Nord Modular create a lush pad. I don't know what's stopping any of you from posting sound demos. Explaining why Nord is a good synth won't convince my ears. Wink

If you really care to help me choose a synth, you'd post some sound examples. To create a nice screaming lead with unpredictable behavior in Nord Modular just requires a little bit of know-how plus a bit of throwing around random wiring. I'm satisfied with that. Again, I have yet to hear Nord Modular pads.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There should be a lot of NM-1 ( the older Nord Modular ) on Funeral Pyre Berlin and in some sections of Wild Blue. See my Virb or Myspace links below. As for pads.. that is a concept I really don´t understand. Is the idea that you hold down a chord with some sort of early 90s new age styled dolphin slush and just keep at it? Shocked With synths you simply patch the stuff you need and then play it. Pads?! Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have any of you opened up the patches I've been posting? I post them for a very good reason, and that is so you can see what I'm trying to do, what I might be doing wrong, etc.
Last edited by Argitoth on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:54 am; edited 2 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. I think that is why several of us suggested that you really shouldn´t buy any sort of modular synth right now. You will be better off with say a Virus or something like that.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
Have any of you opened up the patches I've been posting? I post them for a very good reason, and that is so you can see what I'm trying to do, what I might be doing wrong, etc.

Yes, thats why I said that just slapping downs some oscs, filters and envelopes is not going to get you a good sound.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I get the feeling you are just suggesting random synths that cater to fanboys and people who think they know what they are doing.

No. I simply listed a few known good instruments that can do what you want and they even come with lotsa presets that will give you something to start with. All of the instruments mentioned are brilliant. I am slightly underwhelmed by the Virus though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No way!

The Virus TI is excellent, how can you not like it?
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
And a message to all the other responders: I'd like to hear Nord Modular create a lush pad. I don't know what's stopping any of you from posting sound demos. Explaining why Nord is a good synth won't convince my ears. Wink

If you really care to help me choose a synth, you'd post some sound examples. To create a nice screaming lead with unpredictable behavior in Nord Modular just requires a little bit of know-how plus a bit of throwing around random wiring. I'm satisfied with that. Again, I have yet to hear Nord Modular pads.

You could have a listen yourself too; there are already lots of G2 mp3's here http://www.electro-music.com/mp3media.php?forums=63%2C77%2C47%2C48%2C46%2C65%2C50%2C51%2C52%2C53%2C81%2C54%2C55%2C56%2C57%2C49%2C58%2C59%2C61%2C45%2C60%2C94%2C98%2C145&order=forum&direction=ASC&owner=. If I see your list of synth priorities, I don't think a (nord) modular is the best synth for you to buy. There are cheaper and better options for you I guess (as others have said as well)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, I haven´t really used the TI so I don´t know how that one plays and moans. For the older models, I like the sounds.. the interface is a bit .. well.. the whole navigation concept as used in the classic Virus synths seems slightly wrong to me. However, these Virus synths are very capable and far more interesting than the 3-4 popular signature sounds would suggest.
Keep in mind that I have never described the Virus using the same terminology as you know I´ve used for the early Roland Juno synths. That should be a clue re how I feel about the Virus. Wink

The interface issue is simply a minor complaint and it is subjective of course. This is yet another YMMV-situ.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I must admit I use the plugin for patching http://www.access-music.de/events/11-2004/virusti_details_control.php4?product=virustidesktop so the hardware interface is not too much of a problem, but I see your point.

The new Grain Table and Formant Oscillators in the TI are also pretty good for getting sound weird and wonderful sounds.

Also for me it is the best synth for playing from a midi guitar, it is easy to set up multis on 6 midi channels and the midi latency is really low. Also simple things like when you change patches the old notes release still sounds while the new patch is loaded and playable.

I love mine, lots and lots.

I noticed quite a bit of Virus hating at the European get-together in Belgium, maybe it is similar to how I see Gibson and Fender guitars.
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth,

Patching the basic G2 modules together in a basic fashion will not give you alot of character. Most of the G2 modules have a very neutral behaviour -and justly so. The idea behind this is to provide the synthesist with transparent and predictable sonic building blocks which facilitate him to create his desired sonic flavours, rather than imposing their own. What use is it to you if I point you to some mp3s or patches of the G2 doing the kinds of sounds you want, if you don't know how to get those sounds yourself? Sure, you can use other peoples patches all the way, but in that case I don't see the point in getting a G2 in the first case. You'd be better off with a hardwired synth like the ones mentioned. Which is what everybody here is suggesting. The Virus is a great synth.

Anyway, lush pads are dead easy to do on the G2. The G2 demo comes with a whole folder full of demo-friendly patches. Many pads among those. Did you ever try them?
Argitoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You (whoever you are) seem to think that G2 just needs the right patching to sound good. Nord G2 can't even compete with VSTs when it comes to basic pads, supersaws, and other trance sounds that everyone is used to. I can create nice sounding leads with VSTs too (not as expressive or screaming as G2). However, I see G2 being the best lead synth with its ability to create wacked-out patches that behave in unpredictable ways, creating lots of expression. Its physical modeling ability is also noteworthy. Really, Nord G2 is everything I'm not looking for and everything I will lack if I didn't own it. Also, I am starting to accept the idea that I'll never recreate some of those synths in the 10 minute mp3 I posted. That being said, this is the end of my stay here at electro-music.com

Thanks for at least helping me realize this even if you don't agree. Wink
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bye Bye.

I must admit I always thought you were a troll.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Hilarious!

It is a very good thing for the guitar forums that Argitoth is probably not going to buy an electric guitar anytime soon. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
... Again, I have yet to hear Nord Modular pads.
Just try everything published by Dave Peck. Although this forum is linked on the Clavia site, we are not the sales department Smile I'm not interested in which synth you want to buy: that's all up to you! It's all about taste. It's like do you like 'geitost' and do I have to eat it? I'm sure electro80 will say YES! Wink

Wout
Page 2 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: