electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Voice Failed Autotune
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark-io

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look at the picture posted with the first message in this thread. If you hit the Tune button just once, you get access to this screen and can control which sections to tune / check. Use the voice & band soft knobs to scroll thru the list.

Voices are usually disabled for a reason but if its just the PWM calibration or a bit of filter that doesnt tune there's no reason IMHO not to switch them back on.

wwjd

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info! I poked around the tune screens and 7&8 both say BADFLTR, I think on OCS2, line 5 or something. Obviously that means "BAD FILTER" but what that will affect, I have no clue.

BUT, I AM reading the manual and doing lots of searches instead of just asking noob questions. This new gear got me stumped though. Smile
Mark-io

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I AM reading the manual

excellent. The A6 manual is actually a very good one and also a fine introduction to the theory of (analog) sound synthesis as well. required reading!

wwjd

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went through and did all the resets except the wiping/replacing programs and mixes, also updated the OS, now everything comes up GREEN. I can see this forum will be very useful for learning and sharing info. Thanks!
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wwjd wrote:
I plan to reset all settings and update OS if needed. I can live with 14 voices rather than 16 if need be, but it SEEMS just fine

seems like a good idea, also retuning sometimes helps.
however when you say they're fine , it might be wise to look into the different bands as it gives afalse even when it doesn't tune well enough on one of them.
i also had a thing like that once, not anymore afterwards, still don't know what the problem was.
wwjd

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was 3 or 4 levels old on the OS. The full resets and newer OS fixedit right up. EVERYTHING comes up 'OK' even after multiple power cycles, auto tunes and tests
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great, !
( seems i was a few levels too low on the postreadin' too)
glad to hear it 's fixed, the a6 keeps interesting.
XpanderXT

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mine locked up after trying to tune it the other day. First time it ever happened. I rebooted it and then it had no sound output.
I pressed AUTO TUNE again and it went through the tuning process and then played fine.
I have never had this happen before and hope it doesn't happen again.
wwjd

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from all my readings, I take away that the A6 can be finicky. When I first got it out of packaging, the SECOND power up I did locked it on the intro screen. Never recovered, not playable. 3rd power up brought it back. I think I had one more failure to launch later on the old OS. On the latest OS now, I have not suffered that issue, but I haven't done a lot of ON/OFF either.

Being complex HARDWARE parts, I suspect it will suffer from a variety of glitches - as the old ANALOGS did. I can live with that, provided I CAN always get it kick started again Wink

PS all my voices are STILL working just great
waketek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sucks, My A6 failed to tune voices 5&6 and I have tried everything then I found what I had feared most VCA fail and both voices were shutt off. turning those two voices on by themselves and all I get is static and noise. I have tried soft reset and hard reset but looks like I have a couple of bad chips... Bummer since I bought this New like 2 1/2 years ago and it was in the box mostly due to building my studio and it has only been used for maybe 40+ hrs. Most of what I do I can live with 14 voices but sometimes it is nice to have all 16 in unison for that over the top shred everything lead. I am hoping I can find someplace local that can repair it as I do not want to ship it anywhere... Anyone know how much it costs to get two chips replaced or is it the whole output board that has to be replaced. I wish there were some schematics, I have searched and come up with nothing. Any insight on repair centers in US and possible cost and or schematcis would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's sad news. I'm in the UK so I haven't got any info on US repairers but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable peeps on here can help you out!

Oh, and welcome

sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sent you a pm
waketek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Sunny! Just replied back at ya.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indeed probably a voice chip. can be replaced, not neccesarry the whole board.
has to know how to solder well and afcourse should find the sparepart.?
matia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: a6 problems
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm using this synth quite often.

i've bought it last year.
once when it was very hot(30'c)voice 4 and 6 would not pass the tuning procedure.the other problem is;since the beginning voice 15-16 are shut off automaticaly..bad filt.once i played on them and i think i could not distinguish them from the good ones.

but i was worried by voices 4 and 6.the synth could not pass the tuning procedure...it was blocked on voice 4 or 6 trying to tune it...somethimes the bad voice was shut off,sometimes the synth was blocked till i turned off the auto-tune.
the situation was frightening but the next few sessions it was better and better.
i think my andy doesn't like hot weather without temp and backtune on.
i've found my way of dealing with this synth.when i put it on i always put both tuning on...especially when i'm not playing extensively on it.

i'm thinking this synth can go(drift) too far if left alone without both tunings.i'm affraid one day it;s gonna be too far...that'a why

i always put both tunings on....after one hour i can put these off.but if i don't play on it drifts a little bit.so always when i'm leaving my synth for more than 15 minutes i put both tunings.
in general i don't tune it.

i'm thinking the synth must be played to keep it tuned without background and temptun..
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: