electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Substitute a vactrol?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
semisight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Substitute a vactrol? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I'm new here and new to synths in general. The other day I was reading about electric pianos on wikipedia, which lead to synths, and now a few days later I find myself wanting to build one.

I have some informal experience in analog/digital circuit design, and the first synth I came across (for beginners) was the WSG. The problem was, it only has a few knobs. No buttons, no way to create any sort of coherent music. So, I decided to scrounge around some more to see what was required for a basic, "real" synth. Along the way I found schematics for an extremely simple AR envelope generator, a one transistor VCA, and most importantly, this thread here, in which doctor vague posted a very simple VCF circuit using a vactrol.

My problem is I don't have a lot of money for this, and vactrols are kind of expensive. I could build a vactrol by wrapping some black electrical tape around an LED and an LDR, but the only LDRs I've been able to find have bad response times.

Could use an optoisolator with a phototransistor to the same effect? Or, could I somehow lower the response times of LDRs by using multiple LDRs, or LEDs, or something?

Much thanks,
Semi
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello welcome hello welcome = Welcome
Hi
Many people roll their own vactrols.
Funnily enough the led colour can also affect the behaviour of the LDR

Using a 'vactrol' means you are not too concerned about accuracy, so don't worry too much about response times. If you find you are not happy with a circuits behaviour, try a larger/smaller LDR or brighter/weaker led. For me all the ones I have made have worked fine, maybe they are different from real vactrols but let's just call it 'character'.

Some pages to get you started

Grant
Takeda
semisight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, yeah accuracy is not a big deal as long as sound comes out Mr. Green. I've been reading about vactrols and LDRs, and it seems the best response times of LDRs (maybe 15ms) can't compare to a good vactrol which has response times of maybe 3.5ms.

I think I'll probably end up rolling my own anyway, but I wonder if I couldn't get the same effect off a phototransistor; they're definitely faster. Futurlec has a quad optocoupler for $.60, which might be worth playing around with.

Those links are interesting, especially the first one.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 148
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome semisight.

A photo transistor would not be a direct substitute for a resistor (an LDR can be seen a resistor), for it to work it should be biased properly (current will only flow in one direction and not in both as with a resistor). While this might be a solution for some situations, in general it would not work.

semisight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, that seems obvious now. This is probably another stupid question, but what if I had two parallel phototransistors wired in opposite directions?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You'd probably get some pretty funny non linear behavior Wink

(the transistors likely would not properly be biased)

semisight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooo, fun Very Happy.

Just one last question, if I used a phototransistor with a base pin, could I bias it correctly?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd have to experiment Laughing

Maybe http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-33446.html&postorder=asc would be of interest too, there is some vactrol replacement going on there.

panda30y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, I haven't been able to find where to buy a vactrol in the first place. I don't want to hijack this thread, but where does one buy a vactrol in the first place?
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

Try here
Other useful synthy type parts there too.....

cheers,
Dave
panda30y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh nice, thanks alot for the tip. I've just never explored that section too much, just a quick glance over.
semisight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll bookmark that site. Still kind of expensive, but then they are under "hard to find" Razz.
RKHobbs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can buy them from Allied Electronics (alliedelec.com)
They have the Perkins Elmer vactrols and the Silonex analog optocouplers.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: