electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
(sequencer) How to restart a new groove to the next bar?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Akum420

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: (sequencer) How to restart a new groove to the next bar? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I make a step sequencer. I use a "Sw4-1" to pass from a groove to another one. But the groove change immediately. How can I sync the "Sw4-1" to start the new groove that I select to the next bar (or 1/2, 1/4, ...), not immediately ?

love

seq_sync_Grv_Chg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.84 KB
 Viewed:  865 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

seq_sync_Grv_Chg.JPG

420_sequencer_sync_grv_chg.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  420_sequencer_sync_grv_chg.pch2
 Filesize:  2.4 KB
 Downloaded:  1247 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At work so no G2 but couldn't you place a sample and hold after switch and clock it from the sync signal of the clk gen? You may need to add the odd logic delay here and there to prevent logic racing.
Akum420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I have to use the "DlyClock1" between the second switch and the sequencer trigger-row ?

What is "logic racing" ? I don't understand this term.

I added a new and small exemple.

seq_sync_Grv_Chg_V12.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.13 KB
 Viewed:  597 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

seq_sync_Grv_Chg_V12.JPG

420_sequencer_sync_grv_chg_V12.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  420_sequencer_sync_grv_chg_V12.pch2
 Filesize:  1.31 KB
 Downloaded:  1607 Time(s)

iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I don't think logic racing is a problem here as the idea is to delay the pattern change until the clk gen sends a sync signal (e.g. the end of the bar).

To do that we need to use a sample and hold, to hold the value stored in the switch and then a value switch to actually change the connection once clk gen is received.

See my example:

I added another block for if you need more than 2 patterns to switch between. Only connect your sequencers to the Value switch or the Mux, no need to connect them to the switch itself.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't explain logic racing. This is when logic signals arrive at things in the wrong order, the G2 calculation method has caused a logic signal arrives long before you want it to. The only solution is to place a logic delay in the path to slow down tha logic message.

Pattern Switcher.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pattern Switcher.pch2
 Filesize:  1.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1538 Time(s)

Akum420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love you !!!

I save 12 beers, 4 coffees, a handful of grass and a lot of time!

Ok, I make jokes but I know. A good way to learn is to do it by myself. Doing tests, fail, restart. I must confess that I was far from the correct answer. I tried with the Mux8-1 (without success) before to create this topic. Now I understand the good routing and I will continue by myself.

off topic : Damn, you help me a lot man. If you come to Montreal city, I'll be happy to pay you a BIIIIIIGGGGG beer!!!

EDIT: thank you for the explanation (logic racing). it's good to know.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger, you have an admirer Smile

the reset/sync solution works great and is efficient. I use it all the time.

Another option is to use a clock divider at different speeds and a sample and hold to hold the speed until the next bar.

This thread offers an example:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-36828.html

420 in your patches and your avatar? you must be Canadian, of course Wink

/Dasz
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Akum420 wrote:
I love you !!!

I save 12 beers, 4 coffees, a handful of grass and a lot of time!

hehehe.. glad I could help.

Akum420 wrote:

off topic : Damn, you help me a lot man. If you come to Montreal city, I'll be happy to pay you a BIIIIIIGGGGG beer!!!

Ta, that's a long way to come for a pint though Laughing If I am ever in that neck of the woods I may hold you to it. Very Happy

Akum420 wrote:

EDIT: thank you for the explanation (logic racing). it's good to know.

I've had it happen on a couple of occasions with this kind of thing but usually when dealing with more complex reset signals and fast clocks etc.

Dasz wrote:

iPassenger, you have an admirer

So it would seem. Very Happy

Dasz wrote:

Another option is to use a clock divider at different speeds and a sample and hold to hold the speed until the next bar.

I don't understand this at all but I'll take a look at your patch when I get the chance. Smile

Way OOT : 420!?! hehe...Canada still pretty laxed on it then?

Akum420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your patch dasz. How you use the Mux8-11 is interesting for me and educational. I think I will use this one. Instead to create many grooves (e.g. : 1,5,9,13 or 1,3,5,7,9,13 or 1,2,3,4,5,.....) I can use this option and I save a lot of space to create others grooves in all my step sequencers.

Quote:
Ta, that's a long way to come for a pint though Laughing If I am ever in that neck of the woods I may hold you to it.

I'll remember. My gf have a twice and she look for a bf, a musician! Hurry up!

Quote:
Way OOT : 420!?! hehe...Canada still pretty laxed on it then?

Not as I want but yes.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Akum420 wrote:
Thanks for your patch dasz. How you use the Mux8-11 is interesting for me and educational. I think I will use this one. Instead to create many grooves (e.g. : 1,5,9,13 or 1,3,5,7,9,13 or 1,2,3,4,5,.....) I can use this option and I save a lot of space to create others grooves in all my step sequencers.

I hope I get some beer for that! Wink
/Dasz
Akum420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think about it just now but : the word "pattern" is more appropriate than "groove" in this topic ? My english is basic.

You are welcome dasz! I understand why you and so many people have two G2 ! Good bye to my Electribe SX ! I don't use it for audio, only for MIDI. My G2 make 1000x more than my ESX.

dasz, you're from Vancouver. The town is ready for the Canada's 2010 winter games ?!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You seem to have it sorted, but I'll throw this one in anyway just to advocate the flip flop module, which I think is apt for this kind of problem. It solves the storing of a value and race condition thing in one stroke. It is a bit tricky to work with, which is why I think it tends to get overlooked.

I made a new patch which I am attaching (I only have the demo where I am), with a switch instead of a keyboard - i.e. clicking the switch should restart the sequencer on the following beat, decided be the sync setting in the clock LFO. the switch sets the value in the flip flop and clocks it (the flip flop only stores values when the clock input goes high). The clock sync then resets the flip flop, which triggers a pulse that resets the sequencer.

If you want another kind of groove than simple resetting like this, use a clock divider or another sequencer to send reset signals to the flip flop.

/stefan

sbt_flipflopgroover.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sbt_flipflopgroover.pch2
 Filesize:  1.19 KB
 Downloaded:  2101 Time(s)

Akum420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I inserted the patch from iPassenger, dasz and from Antimon in mine. I can not add anything more. The memory is over 94%. But everything work very good.

-6 cells,
-8 patterns per cell,
-change speed/clock divider to each cell. (This parameter realy increase the number of pattern!)
-tap tempo/restart all patterns to the 1st step (pattern 1 to 3 and 4 to 6 separately)
-choose the steps to play / 4 patterns, mode : Master (pattern 1 to 3 and 4 to 6 separately) (This parameter increase the number of pattern too!)

I use another control surface (Remote25, Novation) to change the number from the clock divider.
I assign a #cc with the correct value for each push-button and each divider for all cells. I don't like to choose the value with a knob or a fader. I don't have enough memory to assign all the #cc on my patch to control this with the push-button from the G2X.

Something is weird. The step leds from the 6 last sequencers don't move...but the MIDI message is sent. Everything work good but it's weird !

The patch is in one slot. I will make an update with more fucntions and more cells soon with all 4 sluts.

Edit: Oups! Thanks Antimon for the contribution !

420_sequencer_v34.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  420_sequencer_v34.pch2
 Filesize:  14.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1536 Time(s)

Last edited by Akum420 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you got it working. The green step indicators on the sequencers don't always look right in the editor, though they're working. My opinion is that this behaviour has gotten worse lately, maybe with one of the firmware or editor updates.

/Stefan

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: