electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
disable autopower off on Casio SK 1, anyone?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
maxime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: disable autopower off on Casio SK 1, anyone? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi you all,

It's my first post on electro-forum!!!

Do you know about a hack to disable the autopower off feature on the Casio SK 1 or SK 5? I tried to tie T5 to the ground unsuccessfully, the main chip seems to shut down after 8 minutes anyway, even when the general psu circuit stays active.

thanks

best

Maxime
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Maxime, not sure if it was the same keyboard but I remember some discussion about an auto shutdown feature somewhere here on the board ... IIRC it had to be solved by repeatedly simulating (using some electronics) some button press. Maybe search the forum for auto power off ...
maxime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your reply blue hell!
damn, it seems like this feature isn't easily bendable!

best

maxime
gmeredith

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Maxime,

The original site with the SK-1 auto power off disable is here:

http://www.electri-fire.com/sk1pagesoverview.htm

As for the SK5/SK8, they can't be disabled by this method - i've tried in vain over a long time. The reason is that the SK5/8 have a "smarter" processor than the SK-1 that, although you can do the same mod to them to disable it, will still fall asleep after the allocated 7 mins. The rest of the keyboard will be awake still if you do the mod to it, but it's useless without the processor awake to operate the keyboard.

The best workaround method for the SK5/8 is to activate a key or button every 6 or so mins - just before the APO shuts the keyboard off. This can be done automatically by using a simple 555 timer circuit and a tiny reed relay or something that is hooked up to a relatively unused button on the keyboard - such as the STOP button on the rhythm (this assumes you don't use the internal sequencer/rhythms - otherwise choose another button). The circuit "pings" the switch every 6 mins or so. This will keep the keyboard awake.

Cheers, Graham
maxime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEllo Graham,
I will try your route on the sk1. the same circuit as sk5/8 is used on it. the keyboard shuts down at 8 minutes, even if the psu is kept awake..
the electri-fire mod doesn't work on my sk1, because of the smart processor also.
thanks a lot

Maxime
gmeredith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Maxime,

I found some more info on the apo bypass. I can't remember where it is from but I saved it as a web page to my computer ages ago for reference. I turned it into a pdf document for you (attached). It gives some info about getting it to work.

Cheers, Graham

SK1 APO bypass.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SK1 APO bypass.pdf
 Filesize:  243.45 KB
 Downloaded:  641 Time(s)

gmeredith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is also the design for a simple "pinger" circuit to close a relay switch to attach to the SK5 (or SK1 if the APO bypass mod doesn't work). I haven't tried this circuit out, so it may need some tinkering with the resistor values to get the ping time to what you want.

Cheers, Graham

apo timer 5 min.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  379.19 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

apo timer 5 min.JPG

maxime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I used a 1 sec on/ 120 sec off 555 oscillator as in the schematics attached. Connected to a reed relay playing the "clear" key works like charm!
many thanks

Maxime

LM555Basics.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.3 KB
 Viewed:  528 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LM555Basics.GIF

gmeredith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that's great news! Glad that circuit worked out - thanks for posting the 555 schematic.

Cheers, Graham
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumleft
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gmeredith wrote:
The original site with the SK-1 auto power off disable is here:

http://www.electri-fire.com/sk1pagesoverview.htm

Sorry for the dead link, I seem to have changed something at my site, so for those browsing the archives: Auto Power Off disable is here:

http://www.electri-fire.com/sk1autopoweroff.htm
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, thanks a lot electri-fire ! Years ago I modded my sk1s a lot, but didn't find a solution for the dreadful APO.
Other than bridging the 'fill' button, because I almost never use the percussion.
Your site looks very interesting. I will check it out.

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gmeredith wrote:
I found some more info on the apo bypass. I can't remember where it is from but I saved it as a web page to my computer ages ago for reference. I turned it into a pdf document for you.

I updated the link for convenience.
The info was already in gmeredith's pdf. It started as a thread at the forum of sk1.org (Jesse "Tablebeast" Savage's sk1 related site, but this site is no longer available).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! I used to be on the sk1 forum all those years back. Do you remember Freya?

Anyway, thanks electri-fire for such a great site. Shame the samples don't seem to do anything though.

A great mod on the VSS-30 (and 200?) is to starve it of voltage and amps (ie a dead battery). Some beautiful sounds can be created that way. Idea

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks... for these links and mods!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: