electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
EM2010 ~ Ideas, suggestions, and improvements
Page 4 of 4 [94 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While people are still excited... just wanted to link this FYI.......

2010 Kansas City electro-music festival
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-37978.html

Would love to see everyone one of you there !!! Very Happy

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Mohoyoho wrote:
What was the disturbance that Art Cohen addressed during his performance with Steve? Were there people playing synths in the audience? Was that a common ocurrence?

I think this was due to the layout of the Downstairs area, performances were not well insulated from the swap meet / modular exhibits / food / other distractions including the slamming doors and entrance noise.

The upstairs auditorium was, in many ways, an ideal performance space with a stage, a high ceiling, carpet, and enough ambience to blend the sound without losing clarity and directionality.

The downstairs was less-than-ideal: a lower ceiling (thus harder to "contain" the sound), a hard, reflective floor, and high non-audience traffic for the exhibition and dining areas.

One possible improvement would be to perform from the area in front of the fireplace. Thus, the audience would be facing away from the other traffic in the space. Also, the sound would come from a corner position and might reduce some slap echo issues. The major disadvantage of this placement might be the impact on video since the fireplace is right next to windows. Then again, some performers may like to perform with the backdrop of fall colors that appear in the windows. The exhibition area could be placed along the west wall.

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Are you ready for a smash down M.Peck?

Quote:
p.s. I joke but not really...

Quote:
Are you ready for the challenge M.Peck, or can you only last for three minutes?

Quote:
p.s. all in good fun, but... You got your game on?

Les, I'm not sure why you insist on directing your comments only to me? I would hope that other people on this board may want to "compete" in next year's event but I fear the way you're approaching this may turn people off altogether. A laptop battle is about fun. Camaraderie with your fellow musicians. If I have offended you or put you on the defense, that was not my intention. I've been a member of this community since '03 and have attended every electro-music.com fest other than this year. So that alone should say to you that I'm not one to bash others, especially in this community. Now then, if I have taken your posted comments out of context, then that is my fault. I know we don't know one another so we have no way of knowing each others personality or sense of humor-that's a given. But your comments (to me) reek of classic passive aggressive and it certainly seems like you're ready to defend your title (in another year) but seriously man, it's not about that. As you said, everyone wins. Again, I only posted the rules to help organize and event that would encourage more participants. I think Greg got that and suggested five (which is fair) minutes. And no Champ, I got more in me than three minutes-don't you worry about that Wink
So to reiterate... if this is going to be a successful mini event that others can look forward to and support, then that should be the focus. Not me vs. you. I think that this could eventually go somewhere and get more attention from folks that are not already involved in the community and bring them in to continue to build upon what's already been established.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
bbinkovitz

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:
Mohoyoho wrote:
What was the disturbance that Art Cohen addressed during his performance with Steve? Were there people playing synths in the audience? Was that a common ocurrence?

I think this was due to the layout of the Downstairs area, performances were not well insulated from the swap meet / modular exhibits / food / other distractions including the slamming doors and entrance noise.

The upstairs auditorium was, in many ways, an ideal performance space with a stage, a high ceiling, carpet, and enough ambience to blend the sound without losing clarity and directionality.

The downstairs was less-than-ideal: a lower ceiling (thus harder to "contain" the sound), a hard, reflective floor, and high non-audience traffic for the exhibition and dining areas.

One possible improvement would be to perform from the area in front of the fireplace. Thus, the audience would be facing away from the other traffic in the space. Also, the sound would come from a corner position and might reduce some slap echo issues. The major disadvantage of this placement might be the impact on video since the fireplace is right next to windows. Then again, some performers may like to perform with the backdrop of fall colors that appear in the windows. The exhibition area could be placed along the west wall.

Downstairs was nice for louder acts, not ideal for quieter or ambient stuff.

Maybe in the future we could make an effort to put the quiet/ambient stuff upstairs and the glitch-rave and whatnot in the downstairs? (Maybe we don't have enough glitch-rave for that... bring back Vostek and Vytear and Travis/Noun!)

The project ruori recordings taken in the downstairs def. have a lot of noise/talking/etc on them, but I don't mind --- it makes it sound like we were performing in a smoky bar (if those exist anywhere in the world anymore).

I'm always resistant to change in e-m related stuff, because I always like it so much I think it can't possibly be any better. Then, each year, somehow it is!

distro: http://paperisbad.com/
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
What if we started the festival a little earlier? / ..../ If we started at 10am say... thats 6 extra hours over the course of 3 days.

I second that. And I'm convinced the other European visitors would agree.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
If you can't drop some hell in under three minutes, well then... maybe a battle isn't for you.

You should have met Les. He's a totally good guy. His music is not about dropping hell, or in your face sound. His very intelligent programming is more about interface and generation of evolving note patterns that need more than three minutes to appreciate. He's proud to have won, and suggesting it wouldn't be for him if he can't do it in three minutes I would consider an agressive remark as well probably.

you asked for it.

bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
shanemorris wrote:
What if we started the festival a little earlier? / ..../ If we started at 10am say... thats 6 extra hours over the course of 3 days.

It sort of did start at 10, there were swap meet/demo stuff going on from 10am.

How can you want it to start earlier, you were up almost as late as me! Do you just hate sleep, or is that something that Europeans don't need? (Jealouse!)

bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Noodle Battle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

smokris wrote:
Speaking of battles, how about a Noodle Battle?

A sort of autonomous version of the laptop battle --- the contest organizers produce a fixed input audio stream and provide this to the contestants at the beginning of the event, along with a description of the desired output.

During the course of the event (2 hours?) contestants build something that will transform the audio into the specified output in realtime, using whatever combination of hardware and software they want (analog modular, Nord Modular, Pd, Max/MSP, etc).

Then at the conclusion of the 2-hour block, the judges play back the input audio stream through each contraption (in front of an audience), and judge the results.

Kinda like those college-robotics-team competitions.

</daydreaming>

This sounds really fun, but I assure you my robotics team competitions were nothing at all like this. Laughing

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
electri-fire wrote:
shanemorris wrote:

It sort of did start at 10, there were swap meet/demo stuff going on from 10am.

How can you want it to start earlier, you were up almost as late as me! Do you just hate sleep, or is that something that Europeans don't need? (Jealouse!)

My biological clock does not allow me to sleep in. I was up everyday day at 7am with Les, Paul, and Mathe Very Happy I only need 5 or 6 hours of sleep as well.

Early morning collaboration would be a lot of fun imo.

10am is early enough. Breakfast and prepping for anything would consume the time in the morning before that I believe.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

M.Peck, please accept my apologies if my trash talking got a little out of hand. I most certainly did not want to offend at all. What made me think of doing that is that we were joking around in the chatroom months ago and we started trash talking like professional wrestlers, just for fun. I guess it was wrong for me to carry on such behavior in a different place (this thread) without making sure you knew I was only joking.

Thanks to Mathe (electri-fire) for the support and for quoting that comment, Mathe is right that it was your comment that made me think the trash talking was appropriate.

Most importantly, do not take offense. It was all in good fun but I see I took it too far. Best to ya man!

Les

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget, the drum circle started at 10am (at least on Saturday). For some reason we never got it going on Friday. Also, I think it's nice to have a little down time for people to talk, catch up on their email, run out for supplies, etc. Sleep? Save it for when you get home!
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
My biological clock does not allow me to sleep in. I was up everyday day at 7am with Les, Paul, and Mathe Very Happy I only need 5 or 6 hours of sleep as well.

Early morning collaboration would be a lot of fun imo.

10am is early enough. Breakfast and prepping for anything would consume the time in the morning before that I believe.

I tended to be up by 8am every day and I enjoyed the down time to hang out and visit with other people.

We'd likely need a couple of additional volunteer slots on the schedule to accommodate morning activities.

electri-fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:

I don't sleep a lot. But because of the time difference of ermm..like 5 hours starting at 10.00AM would feel like 15.00PM for Europeans. Going to bed at 2.00AM felt like staying up till 7.00AM.
So unless a lot of people have serious objections I would welcome turning the proposition into a plan.
We could plan less taxing or "niche market" activities.

Also, it was my first visit, and being a less experienced performer I would be less hesitant to schedule a performance outside "prime time".

RFBB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les- it's all good man. Really it is. I think our comments were perhaps taken out of context and we shouldn't look any deeper into this. No harm done and no harm meant. Perhaps it was my line:
Quote:
If you can't drop some hell in under three minutes, well then... maybe a battle isn't for you.
that set off the entire exchange... "you" was not meant as "Les" it was meant as "you" as in one that can not adhere to official "battle rules."
And again, to clear the air (and I think I can speak for Les as well), there is no bad blood and no disrespect between us. I think we both have mutual respect for our own individual technical abilities and for the sake of this community put this to rest. Carry on mate. Carry on.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed M.Peck, no bad blood between us at all. Ahhh, peace, friendship, and the joy of music - what could be better.

Les

newdendrite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of great things about electro-music is being able to stay up late and get up late without missing anything. I hope the organizers will keep it that way.

Now if we could just do something about the food...
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
We always face a difficult choice between allowing more people to perform and having more time for the other activities. I usually try to squeeze in as many performances as possible, because many artists won't come if they don't have a chance to perform. I fret about not having enough audience to attend everything, but the best solution to that is to try to draw more audience to the festival. I agree with Shane that more local publicity should help. If we didn't schedule performances and seminars concurrently, that would mean about 30 fewer performnace slots (or fewer seminars). If we allow an extra 5 minutes between concerts, that's about 10 fewer performances. Some of the things I think we need to do next year are:
- no scheduled sessions after 1am (the sound engineers and other volunteers are pretty much wiped out by then). Jam sessions can continue, so there will still be music as long as someone wants to play.
- as we discussed, find a good way to keep people on time
- If we have last minute cancellations, I'm leaning towards letting the schedule breathe a bit rather than fill in the spots by giving artists a second performance
- keep the collaborative sessions at midnight (I also enjoy seeing artists invite other attendees to support them in their set - we should encourage more of this)
- do a better job of announcing and posting the times for each set

I second all of the above. One of the things I like about EM is that it is impossible to take it all in. There is a lot of stuff boiling in the stew, very non-linear, and this year you connect with some parts, and next year you connect with others. Creativity includes some chaos.

bbinkovitz wrote:

I'm always resistant to change in e-m related stuff, because I always like it so much I think it can't possibly be any better. Then, each year, somehow it is!

As long as the change is an organic outgrowth of this ongoing process, it's bound to remain non-linear and fun.

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a head's up for the festival goers ...

New Year's Eve 2010 Streaming Concert at radio.electro-music.com

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shane...You KNOW I look forward to this one!

You guys never disapoint.

Hear you then.
Page 4 of 4 [94 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: