electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Security Issues Plague Windows-Based PCs
Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 124
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you are right about the MOTU.

Setting up a DAW is about the same on all platforms. It's no big deal to install the software, but it can take time setting up the software to work the way you want.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:

have you tried to set up a DAW on a Mac ?

No, I have not. From time to time I contemplate getting a second hand Ibook to run some of those nice freeware mac-only programs.

I did work with them from time to time at some studios, having good and bad results. I saw one crash completely over just inserting a cd with wave files, I also installed a soundcard on a powerbook in three micro seconds flat, then put it on stage where it worked flawlessly.

I think some stuff is realy easy and dependable on Macs and at other moments I´m completely amazed by how much can go wrong, I certainly do not believe in the marketing hype that everything on macs simply works and that they never crash. They are realy nice for some things, much more so then windows for many. The other way around holds true too.

I used to be completely impartial to the mac v.s. windows debate; years back when I was a small inocent Kas I used to study arteficial intelligence. I ran OS/2 at home, coded on the PowerPC´s at the university and used Windows 95 over with friends. You wouldn´t believe how badly both Windows and Mac OS apeared to suck from that perspective. The Mac´s would completely stop over one simple typo in Prolog, i once saw one give a error message over inserting a floppy that contradicted itself in no less then three places and also claimed the floppy had some name it couldn´t possibly have (sadly we couldn´t take a schreenshot while it displayed a error message). The windows ones were possibly worse. For some reason unknown they could do nothing else while formatting a floppy (or multitask at all in any meaningfull way) and every other action required rebooting to DOS.

Oh, my god did they suck.

Strangely there was no actual software for OS/2, particularly no games so in the end I installed windows too. After about a year and a half of this it gave some stupid error at a inconventient moment and I almost threw the whole thing out of the window (no punn intended), in the end I settled for storing it under my bed. I was done with computers. Forward a small year or so. Now, along comes the Nord Modular, it needs a computer, I still have one under my bed so there we go again.

Luckily neither sucks as badly as they used to anymore but sadly I still need either one to run the nord editors and Ableton Live. If it were up to me I´d run OS/2 or BeOS (now there´s a real o.s.!). I got a PC laptop for the simple reason that I found one realy cheap and that I was already used to windows, I contemplated a Powerbook too. This will probably stay like that for a while because Clavia does not apear to be into Mac´s that much and while Ableton is, Live runs much more stable and gets much more performance out of a pc.

So, that´s where I stand, it´s quite "harmonius" in that I think both suck, except that pc´s suck at a lower price and with a interface i´m used to, not a good one, mind you, just one i´m used to. I suppose that´s how some mariages work.

;¬)

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
paul e. wrote:

have you tried to set up a DAW on a Mac ?

So, that´s where I stand, it´s quite "harmonius" in that I think both suck, except that pc´s suck at a lower price and with a interface i´m used to, not a good one, mind you, just one i´m used to. I suppose that´s how some mariages work.

;¬)

heheh..i can live with that

Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: