electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Software Klee now available!
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
TonE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnigrin wrote:
That's what I've done (it's not a simple pitchshifter). I'm using VJ Manzo's Modal Object Library:

http://www.vjmanzo.com/clients/vincemanzo/modal_change/
Wow, this is great news then.
marmad

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the expected release date of the new version of the software Klee? Thanks.
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's in private beta testing now, and soon (as soon as I finish a bit of documentation!), will be in "public" beta test, to registered users of the v1 version. So hopefully not too much longer!
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick note to let folks know that registered v1 users should have received an email about getting access to the v2 beta.... I've been getting good feedback so far, and it looks like I'll need to rework the VST scanning that occurs on first startup of the app... So hopefully not too much longer now till "official" release...
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you accepting other beta testers?
--Steve
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not at this time, sorry, I've got plenty of feedback now with the testing open to all v1 users....
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the prompt reply. One suggestion for the demo version, can you give people a week or so to try it (with the ability to save)? I was going to try using it for an experimental performance but the 20 minute limit and inability to save what I was working on really made it hard to (1) give it a fair test drive and (2) play my results for others to hear.
--Steve
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider it for the future...
dnigrin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New version now officially available! http://defectiverecords.com/klee

I don't yet have a audio/video demo of the new version yet, still have to do that. Do have a quick video to demonstrate the controller mapping though...

Thanks to everyone for the support and feedback.

soundklinik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sequencer is just great, i mean GREAT!
The best spent 40 bucks ever Very Happy

One wish: Is it possible, that you implement using more then 1 midi controller in MIDI devices?
I have BCR 2000 and PCR-300 keyboard and I would like to use some midi controls from both.
Can you make it that MIDI controller and MIDI assignments stay from last used device/setup when I restart Klee? (not sequenced programs, just midi controller(s) and assignments)
Every time I start Klee, it loads my NIs' AK-1 sound card as a midi controller?
Why that one? (it lists all available anyway)
All best and thank you Dan
dnigrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the nice words soundklinik!

Re: having multiple MIDI controllers - it's certainly possible, but will require a bunch of rework. I'll add it to my list of possible future additions, but no guarantees that this one will get done.

Re: defaulting in last used MIDI controller and assignments - yes, this too is possible. Perhaps what I could do is to allow you to specify a "default" set of controllers that you have saved to file, which would then automatically be loaded upon startup. As above, I've added this to the feature request list (this one more likely than the first. Smile)

Finally, it lists your Audio Kontrol 1 first I believe because the list is arranged alphabetically. And your AK-1 is there in general because, as I'm sure you know, it can also act as a MIDI controller, not just an audio interface.

soundklinik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for reply Dan.

Multiple midi controllers: I REALLY don't care Wink (not worth it since it is a lot of work)

Q: How is "know the Klee" manual related to the software? Is it basically the same thing if I substitute the word 'voltage' with 'midi'?

Best, SK.

PS,I made a condensed version of your Klee manual, covers pages 1, 25-85, covering use, setup, advanced use, etc... do I have your permission to upload it here? (I can send you a copy first)
About 18 recto/verso pages A-4 format..just came back from CopyCat
(i hate reading manuals on the PC screen)
dnigrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: "Know the Klee" - I will quote what I wrote in the Software Klee documentation:
Quote:
“Know the Klee”, authored by Scott Stites (who created the original hardware Klee), is available from the Documentation menu. This comprehensive overview of the Klee is intended for those wishing to understand how the hardware Klee works, with control voltages, triggers and gates. However, most of the concepts are directly applicable to how the Klee software sequencer works too, so it's definitely worth reading. In fact, the software Klee was developed primarily using this document as a reference!

Not *all* functions mentioned in Know the Klee are available and/or work the same as in the software Klee, but most are.

Re: the condensed manual, sure upload it. If it seems as though others might find it valuable, may I host it on my site as well?

soundklinik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnigrin wrote:

Re: the condensed manual, sure upload it. If it seems as though others might find it valuable, may I host it on my site as well?

Sorry this version works now Smile
This is only a very condensed version (with a couple of mistakes) of Dan's manual, covering functions, use and FAQs, in case you don't like to read manuals off screen

Klee software sequencer.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Klee software sequencer.doc
 Filesize:  186 KB
 Downloaded:  1556 Time(s)

Last edited by soundklinik on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:30 am; edited 3 times in total
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dan!

I apologize for not replying to the thread at Muff Wiggler about my problems with Klee in my setup (Delta T is my login there) I just haven't had time to research it. (I'll get to it later)

The problem had to do with with getting Klee to read the VST plugin folder - I had to do it in small chunks. You had asked how many plugins I had - and it looks like ~ 265 (yea, I know, time to clear some out Laughing ).

When I get a chance I'll dig into it further. However, from what I've seen in the demo so far - VERY nice!

dnigrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@soundklinik: Thanks! But it seems like all the images are missing?

@DES (aka Delta T): No worries. But holy smokes, 265 plugins!!! That will certainly make debugging a challenge... Wink Glad that you're up and running though, now have some fun with the Klee!

soundklinik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="soundklinik"]
dnigrin wrote:

Of course you can host it, it is fixed now Wink and I hope someone find it helpful.

cheers Smile
soundklinik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dan,
I am beginning to get into Klee.. it is incredible what nice lines/rhythms you come up with without even trying Smile

3 things I did not figure out yet:

1) How do I make Klee to play along with a VST standalone drum machine or a sequenced synth? I don't care if Klee triggers the drum machine on/off or if drum machine drives Klee, either way is fine...or even (getting desperate now) if I can run a VST drum machine in Klee that plays its own patterns, (not notes)...prefer not to do that, it steals an X slot Wink

2) I tried to trigger with audio, (in Pattern section) it doesn't work, I don't even get any audio IN! Confused
In your manual there is audio coming in to adjust... I have an external sound card, AK-1-from NI...

3) How do I record Klee into LIVE (Ableton) for example? Or on the hard disc?

THANK you in advance Smile
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundklinik wrote:

I am beginning to get into Klee.. it is incredible what nice lines/rhythms you come up with without even trying Smile

Yeah, fun isn't it!
soundklinik wrote:

1) How do I make Klee to play along with a VST standalone drum machine or a sequenced synth? I don't care if Klee triggers the drum machine on/off or if drum machine drives Klee, either way is fine...or even (getting desperate now) if I can run a VST drum machine in Klee that plays its own patterns, (not notes)...prefer not to do that, it steals an X slot Wink

When you say "standalone VST drum machine", I presume you mean a standalone application, right? There's no such thing as a "standalone VST"; all VST plugins need a host. Anyway, assuming so you really do have a standalone application, you have to tell that application to send MIDI clock sync out via a MIDI port. So that when you press "play" on your drum machine, then play will be pressed on the Klee as well, and the tempos will be synced. Be sure to set the Klee to listen to the same MIDI device/channel that the clock sync data is being transmitted on. As mentioned in the manual, it takes a second or so for the two to sync up, it's not instantaneous.
soundklinik wrote:

2) I tried to trigger with audio, (in Pattern section) it doesn't work, I don't even get any audio IN! Confused
In your manual there is audio coming in to adjust... I have an external sound card, AK-1-from NI...

Have you set the Audio input device and other settings correctly on the Setup page? Also, be careful when setting the audio threshold level (in the External Load Audio "Edit" section). What you are looking to do is to get the level to the point so that the triggers you want to start the load are above the threshold, but all other audio is below the threshold. Try with a simple kick drum track to get the hang of it.
soundklinik wrote:

3) How do I record Klee into LIVE (Ableton) for example? Or on the hard disc?

I leave recording of the output completely up to the user; there's no facility in the Klee to route the audio to another application. You can use something like Jack though quite easily to do this. In the future, I may implement the ReWire protocol, to make both MIDI sync as well as audio routing a bit easier, if you are working with a ReWire compatible DAW...

soundklinik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnigrin wrote:

When you say "standalone VST drum machine", I presume you mean a standalone application, right? There's no such thing as a "standalone VST"; all VST plugins need a host. Anyway, assuming so you really do have a standalone application, you have to tell that application to send MIDI clock sync out via a MIDI port. So that when you press "play" on your drum machine, then play will be pressed on the Klee as well, and the tempos will be synced. Be sure to set the Klee to listen to the same MIDI device/channel that the clock sync data is being transmitted on. As mentioned in the manual, it takes a second or so for the two to sync up, it's not instantaneous.

Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your reply. By standalone VST application I mean a virtual synth or a drum machine like iZotope iDrum, http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/idrum/ that does not need a host. Arturia, Gforce, etc makes some 'standalone' synths too.

I also wanted to use Klee with Reaktor-5, and synchronize the clock with it if possible, as you described above.
What kind of application sends midi clock to several units? Loopbe1 monitor? Midi OX?
I know you're on Mac ...

Thanx again for your help Smile
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So if you want to use one of those standalone apps like iDrum, the requirement is that they have to transmit MIDI clock - I'm not sure if it does or not. If not, the workaround would be to use its VST version in a DAW (like Live for example) that definitely do have the ability to transmit MIDI clock.

Re: sending MIDI clock to several devices, you don't need any extra software to do that. Multiple applications should be able to access the same MIDI clock stream, just by selecting that MIDI device and channel within their preferences...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dan, have you thought about a version for the iPad? Idea
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone asked me that question in another thread somewhere - unless Cycling74 has some magical trick up its sleeve, I'm afraid the answer is "not possible right now." Because my Klee is based on Max/MSP, I'm dependent on what platforms that's supported on, and right now, iOS is not one of them...
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dan!

Purchase is on the way! Should be in your in-box now. Klee should compliment Thesys quite well...really looking forward to using both! Very Happy

Dave

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello dave,

maybe you can share your experience here. i too use thesys and wonder if and how the klee can compliment thesys.

best regards

eike
---
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: