electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Blacet Time Machine PCBs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Blacet Time Machine PCBs!
Subject description: Break out your MN3005s
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh! Ooh!

Blacet has Rev B time machine boards available.

http://www.blacet.com/DIY.html

If you've got an MN3005 begging to be used, I can't imagine a better use for it.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At $89 a pop?!? Shocked

Seems like an awful amount when the v2 version is only $60 more? Rolling Eyes

The v2 Time machine looks loads more fun. Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
e-grad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
At $89 a pop?!?

Was puzzled, too. Possibly the price shall avoid that others buy and build the board just to sell them with a profit. It's a guess only which could be entirely wrong though.

v-un-v wrote:
The v2 Time machine looks loads more fun.

The FX/Reverb is a totally different thing. It offers less CV control and AFAIK it's not BBD based thus it will sound differently.
blacet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new Time Machine (FX/Reverb) is a DSP based module that is quite useful and clear sounding but the CVs do not match the original TM in terms of smoothness or variety.

The original is MN3005 based and thus has that gritty analog feel and smooth response to CVs in most of it's functions. It has not been offered for 5 years and this will likely be the only PCB offering this decade.

Free shipping and a couple pricey parts shipped at no extra charge may help take some of the sting out of the "vintage" price.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blacet? Shocked No shit! Cool

welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

By I still stand by what I said- re the 'vintage price' being a little too 'vintage' for my tastes. Embarassed

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
diablojoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes it is on the expensive side however i have gone there anyway
guessing they wont be available for long and i always wanted one
still hoping JH will do his mn3005 cct as well though I have a few more mn3005 chips to use up.
already started building this, board is mostly done waiting for some chips i didnt have . working on the front panel now.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, to paraphrase a scene from Pulp Fiction:

"Now this is the V2, from Blacet. Very good stuff. This one (pointing to the Time Machine) ...this one's a little more expensive. It's eighty-nine. But when you build it, you'll know where that extra money went."

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if Scott says it's a corker, then it must be a corker!

"Reassuringly Expensive" as that advert for beer tells us? Very Happy

Scot Solida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ordered! I've been dreaming of a chance to get this PCB again... I have a battered non-functioning Time Machine (built by someone else) that I dearly loved before it gave up the ghost. One of my favorite modules.
blacet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Battered Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scot Solida wrote:
Ordered! I've been dreaming of a chance to get this PCB again... I have a battered non-functioning Time Machine (built by someone else) that I dearly loved before it gave up the ghost. One of my favorite modules.

I don't know how bad your TM is, but service is still available! U7 in particular is often the culprit in a noisy or erratic module. See the Blacet tech page. http://www.blacet.com/tech.html
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battered Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blacet wrote:
Scot Solida wrote:

I don't know how bad your TM is, but service is still available! U7 in particular is often the culprit in a noisy or erratic module. See the Blacet tech page. http://www.blacet.com/tech.html

Thanks John. Sadly, the PCB is in pretty bad shape after years of passing through many hands and attempts to fix it. It was probably an easy fix early on, and I am still not convinced that it can't be repaired. Still, I am all too happy to plump for the new board. I loved this module dearly. It was so much more than an echo box in my patches... Cool
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you already have MN3005's then I'd say go for it...for those of us without them (and with already too much strain on the plastic), it's a much harder sell. Crying or Very sad
blacet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see a load of MN3005 on ebay under $20. This is reasonable considering the number of years these have been out of production.

I would pick a seller with lots of good feedback. It is also possible that these are all the smae guy; I did not really look in detail.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I looked on ebay, too, and they all pretty much seemed to be the same seller, though I didn't look that closely. I saw on guitar pedal manufacturer saying that their supplies had dried up and they had had trouble ordering some Chinese NOS...dead chips and MN3008 chips with the last # altered to read 5.

Kinda makes you wary.
blacet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a thread on Muffwiggler on the TM and there is some info on the buying of MN3005s.
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-26741-0.html
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Buy these only from smallbear or utsource
davebr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Blacet Time Machine PCB
Subject description: Mouser BOM

I just finished one of these and put my Mouser parts list on my web page.
http://modularsynthesis.com/blacet/timemachine/timemachine.htm

Blacet sells the LS358-71 which is nearly impossible to find so I suggest you buy one from him. I substituted a more expensive MAT03 in mine. I also substituted a DG202B for the Max365 as Maxim DIP parts are hard to find in distribution.

Dave
diablojoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I also substituted a DG202B for the Max365 as Maxim DIP parts are hard to find in distribution.

Dave

So the DG202B worked ok ?
I was a bit concerned as the on and off times are a bit longer
davebr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Blacet Time Machine PCB
Subject description: DG202B vs Max365

diablojoy wrote:
So the DG202B worked ok ?
I was a bit concerned as the on and off times are a bit longer

Yes, it works fine. The analog switch is used to reset the LFO so the 50 nS difference is negligible. I actually don't use the internal LFO much to modulate the Time Machine.

Dave
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you good to confirm that Smile
trying to work out a mod to add a cv vactrol pan for the wet signal
and a gate switchable inverter for the regen CV haha wish me luck
I think both mods could be very nice if i can nut them out
cheers
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was hoping order a PCB but our household budget is already stretched. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad - and I have a spare MN 3005!
tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

John, thanks for rereleasing the board!

I asked you some time ago about this and back then you didnt like this idea. May i ask you what changed your mind? Wink

Anyway looking forward to build my 2nd timemachine Smile

One technical question: I remember some information saying that you used selected mn3005 for your kits. I have some 3005 here, what type of selection could/should be done?
blacet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomcat wrote:
John, thanks for rereleasing the board!

One technical question: I remember some information saying that you used selected mn3005 for your kits. I have some 3005 here, what type of selection could/should be done?

I recall that we had a very small number of ICs (out of hundreds) that would not go out all the way to 2 seconds of delay. Not too much to worry about on this issue!
mig27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Part sourcing.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone,

Quite looking forward to building my Time Machine.
There's just one part I can't seem to get my hands on:

Max362 or DG202B, as Dave suggested.

Any hints for a source, preferable in Europe?

Thanks a ton!

Michael
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the DG202 is a quad SPST CMOS switch in NO configuration. you could substitute it with an e.g. MAX313 or DG412 (same pin out).
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: